Mark Hunt Discusses His Six-Fight Losing Streak, UFC 135 Fight With Ben Rothwell

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
mark_hunt_head_large.png
Former K-1 World Grand Prix winner Mark Hunt hasn't had much success in MMA over the past few years, but his win over Chris Tuchscherer at UFC 127 helped him turn a corner. Hunt spoke an Australian publication called The Roar about his six-fight losing streak over a four year period, and he was brutally frank about it:

"I think the lowest moment was every fight I was just losing and I just didn’t know what the hell was going on." Hunt said in an interview with The Roar.

"I just couldn’t get it right. I didn’t know what it was. It was just a mental block. It didn’t matter who I fought, I would have just lost anyway.

"They could have put me in with a wooden chair and I still would have lost. It was just inside my mind and I had to break the cycle."

He was definitely able to break the cycle, and also managed to deliver one of the more entertaining moments in recent MMA history when he dropped Tuchscherer and casually strolled away, knowing the fight was over. Hunt's a realist though, and even though his UFC 135 fight with Ben Rothwell is taking place on the main card, Hunt's under no illusions that he's a contender right now:

"I don’t think I’m sitting anywhere at the moment. I think a few more fights, three or four more fights for me to get into the picture at all.

"I don’t see myself anywhere in the heavyweight division, yet I still feel I’m the best on the planet of course or else I wouldn’t be doing it."

I've always been a big fan of Hunt not only for his exploits in MMA and K-1, but for how honest he is when he talks about himself. Most people, especially fighters, don't have that level of self-awareness, and it's nice to hear. Hunt may be past his prime at 37 years old, but he's definitely still entertaining and his bout with Rothwell should be good.