Main event announced for first UFC show on Fox

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

monkeystyle

Reaction score
And it will be Junior Dos Santos vs Cain Velasquez for the UFC Heavyweight title.

Super pumped for this show now. Apparently there is only going to be the one fight and word is that if it ends quickly they'll fill the rest of the time with the preliminary fights.

As an aside I'd really like to get this section flowing again as personally I pay far more attention to the MMA world now than I do to the pro wrestling world and this fight along with the UFC's move to Fox seems like a great way to draw some more eyes here.

Personally, I'm hoping that JDS smashes Velasquez and his shitty "Brown Pride" tattoo into the next century, but I'm also hoping that Cain is coming back at 100% because I really want to see a super competitive fight.

Reaction score
I hope that Lesnar comes back and fights JDS as I think Lesnar is still number one beast in the HW division. I really can't see those two as true beasts of that division no matter how much they hype them up. Eventhough lesnar is still green in this sport compared to those two, but imo the next time we see him he will be more well rounded MMA fighter as he always improves his game and he becomes more dangerous everytime he fights in the octagon. Hopefully he will be back as I do miss his appearance in the UFC.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
According to Dana White Lesnar is at 100% again and is expected to fight sometime at the beginning of 2012.

I highly doubt that they give Brock a title shot when he first comes back. Maybe they'll give him the loser of this fight. It's also being heavily rumoured that Alistair Overeem is about to be signed and he may be Brock's first opponent back. Either way, unless Brock has learned how to react better when he gets hit he's going to suffer the same problems when he comes back.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I'd absolutely NOT give a heavyweight title match on TV for free... even if it's to get people pumped over the debut of a new broadcast... people will just end up expecting title fights anytime and won't ever purchase the fucking PPV's. I do think the concept is both good and bad for business though. Good because of the broadened horizon and exposure... bad because... well... again... if people can get it for free, why the fuck would they ever buy it?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
They took Arum's criticisms and challenges to heart. There's no other way they put this on tv for free. That's the real fight that night, boxing vs. MMA.

This isn't for the fans, this is to try and stick it to the boxing industry and show that their brand is stronger than boxing's top draw. We'll find out.

There's no war that night. The UFC show on Fox is only an hour in length, is free to watch and will be on before the boxing PPV even starts.

I'd absolutely NOT give a heavyweight title match on TV for free... even if it's to get people pumped over the debut of a new broadcast... people will just end up expecting title fights anytime and won't ever purchase the fucking PPV's. I do think the concept is both good and bad for business though. Good because of the broadened horizon and exposure... bad because... well... again... if people can get it for free, why the fuck would they ever buy it?

This is faulty logic. Let's say I run a restaurant and I believe I make the best hamburgers in the world. One day I decide to drum up more business by giving away one free hamburger to every person who walks into my restaurant. Does that make them think that they are entitled to free hamburgers all the time? Of course not. I want them to try my meat (tee hee) and hopefully they like it enough that they will come back again willing to pay for what I am offering. Not to mention I'm not offering them the side dishes either which are also delicious, just the main course.

What these people are getting is one fight, a great fight, but just one fight. When you order the PPV you get more than that. You get the full experience of watching a PPV full of matches from numerous weight classes.

And on top of all that the heavyweights in MMA, unless your name is Brock Lesnar, are not the biggest draws for the people who already order the PPVs. The heavyweights will however, draw in the casual fans because casual fans love heavyweights and those are the eyes they are trying to draw. The people who haven't spent a dime on a UFC PPV as of yet.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
We're not talking best burgers right here: best burgers would be best knockouts ever. The restaurant theory you just presented is faulty logic. It's the equivalent to giving everyone free service and returning any tip left. That's not good business.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
We're not talking best burgers right here: best burgers would be best knockouts ever.
The restaurant theory you just presented is faulty logic. It's the equivalent to giving everyone free service and returning any tip left. That's not good business.

A knockout is not the meat of a fight, even a great one. Go watch Mir/Cro Cop from earlier this year. Great knockout to end the fight but the previous 14 minutes were some of the worst garbage ever witnessed.

The meat of a fight is dynamic, dramatic competition regardless of the ending. Maynard/Edgar 2 from earlier this year ended in a draw but is still on the short list for best fight of the year.

You also ignored the part of my post where I pointed out that the heavyweights are not a huge draw for the UFC so putting this on free tv isn't really a huge loss. As a matter of fact, it's called taking the long view. This is their first show on FOX and it's a big deal so they need to put on a big time fight. What did you want them to put on the card. Kongo/Russow?

Why don't you tell me what fight they should have put on. I'm very curious to hear this.

Reaction score
Honestly, it really doesn't matter who you put on in the fight, to me at least. I like MMA, I'm a casual follower, but 90% of it is boring as fuck and there are so few fighters (Penn and Silva being the only two really) that you can watch knowing that the fight will actually be action packed, as with Manny Pacquaio I know I'm going to see the definitive boxer of my time go out there and attempt to slaughter whats in his path. That's just my two cents.

As far as there being no war, didn't know they weren't crossing each other's paths. Just read Arum's smack talk a few weeks back and figured UFC was crossing paths. Would have made for good story fo sho. But it is kind off dumb to run the Heavyweight title match on free tv if it's a one hour show. Plus, De Los Santos and Velasquez have something that makes certain they draw like no other heavies not named Lesnar, they have the huge fucking Latino market. If I were Dana, I'd have either moved it to PPV or had the nuts to put them up against the Pac fight. Latinos are the main purchaser of fights (boxing) but they are also deadly loyal to their own. It certainly would have been interesting to see how it would have unfolded. Either way you put it, it wasn't necessarily the right choice. Lost money for a one hour show that they could have had two established guys looking for contention in that main event. Isn't BJ up to fight soon? He's more familiar to the casual fans than these two dudes anyways.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Honestly, it really doesn't matter who you put on in the fight, to me at least. I like MMA, I'm a casual follower, but 90% of it is boring as fuck and there are so few fighters (Penn and Silva being the only two really) that you can watch knowing that the fight will actually be action packed, as with Manny Pacquaio I know I'm going to see the definitive boxer of my time go out there and attempt to slaughter whats in his path. That's just my two cents.

Meh. There are plenty of exciting fighters in the UFC, but your opinion on 90% of it being boring as fuck is pretty common amongst the casuals. I'm not knocking you or anything but I think that maybe a lot of the excitement comes from learning and understanding the intricacies of the sport. Like, on the flip side, I'm not a huge fan of boxing but that's probably because I don't have as solid a knowledge of boxing.

Also, your first statement is what I'm talking about. You would watch anyway. The point is to get the people who wouldn't and heavyweights plus free title match does that.

As far as there being no war, didn't know they weren't crossing each other's paths. Just read Arum's smack talk a few weeks back and figured UFC was crossing paths.

I really don't think that Dana White cares what Arum thinks. Boxing may put on one or two major fights a year that, I'm pretty sure, will out draw any single thing the UFC does that year but at the same time the UFC will put on more solid cards that have more depth and name recognition beyond the main event.

But it is kind off dumb to run the Heavyweight title match on free tv if it's a one hour show. Plus, De Los Santos and Velasquez have something that makes certain they draw like no other heavies not named Lesnar, they have the huge fucking Latino market.

Yeah, but from what I understand the Latino and African American markets are pretty much tied up in boxing and don't really pay for UFC fights. If you look at the buy rates for JDS last fight it was between 325,000–335,000 buys and you can't really count Velasquez's last fight even though it did over a 1,000,000 buys because it was against Brock Lesnar. Hell, even Anderson Silva isn't considered that big a draw and he's the greatest fighter that MMA has ever seen.

Also, Dana White is known to give the fans what they want as often as he can, which is another reason I have a man crush on him. Gotta love a promoter who actually respects his fans.

If I were Dana, I'd have either moved it to PPV or had the nuts to put them up against the Pac fight. Latinos are the main purchaser of fights (boxing) but they are also deadly loyal to their own. It certainly would have been interesting to see how it would have unfolded.

I don't disagree that it would've been interesting but I would imagine the UFC would still get smoked even though it is free. Pac fights do big business.

Either way you put it, it wasn't necessarily the right choice. Lost money for a one hour show that they could have had two established guys looking for contention in that main event.

This is where people are wrong. It's not lost money, it's an investment in future buyers. This is their first show on FOX and they need to come out swinging if they hope to grow the sport. A heavyweight title, plus FOX's promotional machine should bring a lot of eyes to the fight and they need two guys with a lot of heart who are going to go out there and put on one hell of a fight, which these two are sure to do.

Isn't BJ up to fight soon? He's more familiar to the casual fans than these two dudes anyways.

Yeah, he's fighting Carlos Condit on Oct 29th for what is assumed to be a #1 contender's match for the WW belt. BJ's gonna get smashed though, Condit is a beast. I also want BJ to lose (GSP is fighting Nick Diaz for the WW belt that night too and Diaz is going to choke on it) because I don't particularly want to see BJ/GSP again, it'll pretty much just end up the same as their last two fights. Though I have to admit BJ's corner throwing in the towel between rounds in their last fight made me rofl.

Reaction score
^^^See, even as a casual viewer, I, above all else, am a sports fan. I try to follow and get a good handle on all sports I observe. I understand the "intricacies", it's not exactly rocket science, just as I understand the fantastic "fundamentals" displayed in the WNBA. That doesn't mean it isn't boring as fuck. But it also doesn't mean I don't respect it. UFC isn't as exciting as boxing, football or basketball to me. Most fights are like watching a pitcher's duel baseball game, yes you have to respect what is being displayed, but it doesn't change he fact that it is boring as all fuck, and it's really hard on MMA since combat sports are expected to be exciting.

Reaction score
How many times did we hear about a huge bout in boxing but it never happened? Mayweather for example should have fought Manny long time ago, but he chickened out and that was not the first incident.
But in UFC, as MS stated above, Dana White loves this sport and he respects the fans and he tries with the help of Joe Silva (match maker) to bring the best card and try to travel several states and countries to expand and bring the UFC to all the fans around the world.

Also, boxing match is as boring as shit as you only see boxing and foot work, unlike MMA that is a well rounded sport which actually helps someone who is in trouble and needs those skills to fight for survival in real life issues.

Reaction score
I'm not arguing the merits of the promoters. Boxing is OLD. MMA is relatively a baby. Once MMA fighters realize their name value's worth, Dana White will be fucked. He does give the fans what they want, but the fighters aren't taken care of financially the way a boxer who draws a million buys is. It might not even be in his lifetime, but if MMA gets as successful as boxing was before, then multiple promoters will pop up and offer fighters vast sums, because they are worth it. So while Dana is giving the fans want, I'd be willing to bet dollars to pesos Dana is also pocketing more money than any of his fighters. Boxers have more free will, good for them, bad for the fans. But at the end of the day, as in any respect of life, it's up to the person fighting and their free will to recoup as much financial gain as possible. Dana's Vince McMahon promoting mentality will only continue until the sport truly booms. And I will agree, Floyd is a giant , dodging pussy.

I don't know exactly how many fights you've seen or been in, but people don't use guillotine chokes and kimuras in street fights. I don't know how that's going to help you survive. But if you can throw a punch, exert your force, maybe kick the dick and swing whatever you can grab that will hurt, your chances of survival have increased dramatically. But neither sport shows you how to do any of that outside of throwing a punch. Maybe that's why Beer didn't stand a chance, he was trying for a choke out when he should have been kicking dicks.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
LOL, Enzo... when you defined MMA as boring, you defined boxing. BOXING IS A PITCHERS DUEL. MMA is the 2 highest-scoring teams, best pitching, and best defensive teams in a series.

I've never seen a UFC PPV card feature a fight that was as boring as rounds 1-4 & 7-9 is in boxing. Boxing is all about measuring out. Now while I say boring, I'm a HUGE boxing enthusiast and I've followed it my entire life and boxed myself for a while... I love it, and I'll reserve my thoughts on why boxing is shit right now for later... but come on man... to suggest boxing is entertaining and MMA is boring is a ridiculous statement.

You said Pacquiao is exciting to you, right? Pacman is today's reformed and polished version of Gatti... a brawler... someone who throws punches. Mayweather on the other hand, has been named Most Boring Boxer 7 times this century already (I don't think it's boring really, just, people want to see punches, not measuring and dodging and running which I understand is smart boxing). MMA is fast-paced, full of contact and unpredictability. I can name 20 MMA fighters to every 1 boxer who is more entertaining... the only boxers I can't do that with (my own personal bias) is Pacman and Klitschko.

The only time you really see "boring" in MMA is title fights where the first round is measured... and maybe the 5th round with two loafs who get fatigued and can't knock the other out... but that's rare.