Lewbrication Presents a Wrestlemania 27 Review.... South Wales Style!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lewb

Reaction score
WRESTLEMANIA 27

The scene was set. After copious amounts of drinks off my mother for Mothering Sunday, and my merry state was continued long into the evening, I descended along with 5 other friends went to another friend, Kristians house with a proper American affair. Hot dogs, pizza, pepsi and for the hardcore of us, a crate of Steveweisers ready to toast along with Stone Colds imminent showing.

After the pollava of booking the event on Sky Box Office, and trying to make sure we were getting it in HD, we were set, and the credits began to roll. Lights off. Chow down. Enjoy.

Keri Hilson kicked off the show with her rendition of America the Beautiful. This is the one recent tradition of Wrestlemania that I'm glad they kept, and this year, they did not disappoint. Second only to the original from Aretha Franklin, but a very very decent attempt. Roll a quirky build-up video for The Rock.

IF YA SMELLL!

The whole of the crowd (7 of us included) erupted as he came out. Not in a suit as I had expected, but his own custom Fred Perry tracksuit sufficed. Eating up every cheer and chant for what could have been hours instead of minutes, before making his way down the ramp and in the ring to say the words we had all been waiting for...

FINALLY... THE ROCK HAS COME BACK... TO WRESTLEMANIA!

And with that came the usual catchphrase-filled, electrifying promo that built the 71,617 of the Georgia-dome, the type you expected as it was the Grandest Stage of them all. And after we smelt what The Rock (and the Millions....) were cooking, we were all left to wonder how he would make Mania memorable. Talk of Mania 10 came up... surely The Rock couldn't challenge for the title tonight!

Speaking of title... after the opening video for Mania, we had our first title match. The WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP?!?!?! Royal Rumble winner coming out first at the whole of Wrestlemania? LOLWTF! Anyway, Vintage Rolls Royce and all, destiny was rolling in and ready to take the title off the 12-month-away-from-retiring Rated R Superstar! And after the 11 time World Champion hit the ring, we were ready.

Match One - World Heavyweight Championship
Alberto Del Rio Vs. Edge

Big fight atmosphere with the surprise of this match being first. Some good offence by both men, standard stuff that we have seen in the build-up with Del Rio and Edge in tag matches. A really nice spot I liked was a near fall where Edge got his foot on the rope but Rodriguez threw it off before the ref had chance to see it. Things got a little out of hand as Christian stuck up for Edge after Brodus Clay had gotten involved, and in the midst of this the Crossarm-breaker was locked in. I thought Edge could have sold this a bit longer, as WWE have set this up to be Del Rios biggest and only killer weapon. But he didn't, and instead he got out of it and put a Sharpshooter on Del Rio, who reversed it by kicking Edge away. Edge the Ultimate Opportunist though, with a spear on the Del Rio getting to his feet, and covered him for the match.

Winner: And Still World Heavyweight champion, Edge!

3/5. Nothing special, short if anything. Made up for by the brutalising of Del Rios Rolls Royce. The elbow drop made me lol a lot though!

Match Two
Cody Rhodes Vs Rey Mysterio

I LOVED the villain/superhero reference they gave this. With Cody's video behind him of the newspapers, it reminded me almost of a Batman and Harvey Dent situation that was never seen, how the superhero wrecked the villains face. But this was no Batman because CAPTAIN AMYSTERIO arrived on the scene. Not the best Mania costume he's had, that one goes with a Batman reference too. The match itself started off rather well, with the high-flying of both men being shown, Rey Mysterio always keeps big moves for Mania. I thought he was setting up a 619 from the oputside at one point but no biggy that it didn't happen. What I liked about this match was the cleverness of it, with the face mask as a weapon, and Rey retaliating with the knee brace, and at the end they had swapped these supports and used them both against each other. A knee brace to Reys face seemed the difference maker, and after one Cross-rhodes, this one was over.

Winner: Cody Rhodes

3.5/5 - I enjoyed this match as I felt it told the story through the match. I thought Cody was going to drop the grotesque view of himself with the victory, but maybe he's keeping that for Smackdown. Good show for them two.

I went to the toilet on this bit, with Snoop Dogg and Teddy Long, but I was told that Regal is so white its phenomenal. I came back to find Teddy Long explaining to Snoop that Hornswaggle can't talk. But guys. This is Wrestlemania. This is where Andre the Giant got Scoop Slammed! Surely Hornswaggle can get a few words out! And he did, in a form of a rap, which was a little botched, but for me kinda worked for a pop. Now here's something REALLY interesting.........nahhht.

Match Three - Eight Man Tag Match
The Corre Vs Kane, The Big Show, Santino Marella and Kofi Kingston

Made more sense having Kofi in the match, after losing the Intercontinental Championship to Wade Barrett, so I was happy with this. However he down on move off the apron and that is the only highlight I have from this match. Squash match against The Corre. Why they want the Tag Champs, the IC champ and Big Zeke to look weak I don't know, but thats certainly what happened, over quicker than you can say "Wrestlemania 29 should be held in Triple H's left nostril"...... more on that later.

Winners: Kane, The Big Show, Santino Marella and Kofi Kingston

1/5 - Felt they had no desire or need to put this match on the card. Would have much rather had this match go as the dark match than Sheamus and Bryan. How them two did not make it on the PPV but this match did is beyond a joke.

The Rock talking to Eve Torres. No talk about her wanting the strudel, which I was a bit dissapointed in, but, he was going to make a magic moment with the next person who comes round the corner (me screaming Stone Cold), Mae Young. Who will kick ass forever. I laughed at the Moses joke. And then after Eve and Mae went my shout was granted, Stone Cold was the next around the corner. Great great moment this one. No tasteless trash-talkings. Just two legends ready to kick ass being on the same page.

Match Four
CM Punk Vs Randy Orton

Real nice back and forth action to start this match off. Orton looking strong but Punk with the right counter to take him down with the vipers injured leg and after a few back and forth sequences he gets the upper hand and really goes to work on the leg. The tree of woe and then going for the GTS, but was countered, but Pujnk then countered the RKO. Then from out of nowhere, Anaconda Vice! Enthralled in this match as all the pizza had gone, wanting Orton to escape the vice just for the match to continue, which he did. Orton couldn't do the punt again. I think they would have had a better reaction of Orton hadn't had sold this exact spotter better six days ago. Punk looking like a crack addict ready to pounce, but the speed of Orton to get up and go for an RKO was very impressive, But Punk slid out of it. Orton was hurt. Punk was up on the top rope. Any who liked the RKO Evan Bourne had? This is a hundred times better. When the replay slowed it down they showed just how good Orton is. Theres a reason he's up there with the best you know. 1..2..3.

Winner: Randy Orton

4/5 - Awesome. Thats how a Mania match should be, two years in the making and settled with a moment of pure magic. Interesting to see what Punk does from here.

Mean Gene Okerlund. This guy.... he peeves me, but I enjoy some of his stuff too. This... was salvaged. Not by The Rock... but by Pee Wee Herman, John Cena's number one fan! Strudel firmly in his pants this time thank christ, I could smell what the Pee was cooking. And Gene..... can go eat some fruity pebbles the Sick Freakkkk! (The only Rock quote that was missing from the whole night =[) Side Note; that true story of Wrestlemania DVD looks really..... really interesting. We all know its not going to be the true story... but I'm still intrigued.

The Hall Of Fame. Drew Carey please piss off! Glad he got booed to shit. Sunny on the same stage as Shawn Michaels... is it me or does Vince McMahon like playing dark pranks on people, I mean, she's still bitter at their break up! Nice to see HBK get his time as he is an absolute legend.

CAN YOU DIG IT?! SUCKAAAAAAAAAAAA

This made me smile. I wanted him out there from the beginning, but... the next made me smile even more. Mania just isn't Mania without Good Ol' JR! Cole doing is usual heel stuff on the mic. I thought he handled the entrance well without any music. Shame I can't say the same about the attire. Swagger next. Priceless face when he heard glass smashing, and that was the closest I think I've seen Austin get to running someone over on the quad.

Match Five - Special Guest Referee - Stone Cold Steve Austin
Michael Cole (w/ Jack Swagger) Vs Jerry "The King" Lawler

I don't know what to say. I really don't. All of the time from when Jerry climbed the Cole Mine, and the whole of Coles offence made me cringe badly. I started to question why I was looking forward to this match in any way. A stunner to Jack Swagger and some faith in my sanity was restored. Lawler has NOT got one of the best right hands in the business still. Maybe only when its coming from off the turnbuckles, because you can't tell if hes missing with it or not. That was the difference in this one.

Winner: Jerry "The King" Lawler

1.5/5 Not even Austin could save this match. Booker getting a stunner was Austins payment for putting his name down for an abomination. but it gets worse.

Anonymous Raw GM: I troll Michael Cole, and even though Stone Cold could have disqualified Cole for pushing him, I'm reversing the match decision.

Winner: By Disqualification, Michael Cole

The crowd were chanting bullshit, but I think they still talking about the match. Josh Matthews gets a Stunner. And thank god this segment was over. Glad Lawler stayed for commentary with J.R.

Fan Axxess. Didn't look as good this year than it has in the past imo. Maybe its just not changing enough :/

Video of HHH/Taker. Seen it plenty of times so talked about the actual chances of HHH winning this one. Not since Ric Flair has Taker been in the driving seat going into the match. Metalica tweeted HHH was using one of their songs. And I always felt it was going to be like Wrestlemania 22 where he would use both. So as a sign of this being the only thing he has to do, I thought it would have been Nothing Else Matters. But For Whom The Bell Tolls worked extremely well. Johnny Cash + Intimidation Attempt = Fail imo.

Match Six - No Holds Barred
The Undertaker Vs Triple H

From the opening bell this blew up. As soon as they spilled to the outside I said to my friends that someonee was going through the Cole Mine. but i thought the glass would have broke, Elimination Chamber style. Effective nonetheless. Why oh why do they have the latest MacBooks ringside, and then monitors from Wrestlemania 1?! It tickles me every time. The infamous Takers leap of faith looked like he hurt his neck again. And the Spinebuster through the announcers table looked good. Then this match changed. It had a finisher-fest for 5 or so minutes which was inevitible. But then, something I never thought would happen. For about 10 minutes, I had timewarped to Wrestlemania 24, and HHH was HBK, and taker was Ric Flair. It was surreal, and only then, WWE made me a believer for the first time, that HHH could actually win this damn thing. The Game with his own tombstone. I thought it was done. But no, a kick out, awesome. Just when I thought we had seen it all, Taker brought out the Hells Gate (is it me or did he not put it in properly. The arm wasn't fitted in between the legs.) and Triple H nearly got Taker with the sledgehammer but the hold was synched in too tight, and Triple after about 2 minutes tapped out to not be one.... but be two... as in lost to The Undertaker twice at Mania (yes kids you heard, twice? Just because WWE don't talk about something, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. For more information call 0800-BEN-OIT.)

Winner: And 19-0, The Undertaker

4.5/5 - Digged this match immensely. Match of the night no doubt. Very impressed with how long Taker kept his shulder on the match. Every near fall I kept thinking it was over until the last moment! A lot of big nose jokes were made during this match by us immature bastards! And when he told Taker to just die.... comedy gold haha. The fact that Taker couldn't get up after the match I felt sold the streak more, I liked it. It makes you think maybe there is something more than just The Undertaker at Mania. Y'know... like a spirit kinda thing.

Match Seven - Six Person Mixed Tag Match
John Morrison, Trish Stratus and Nicole "Snooki" Polazzi Vs Dolph Ziggler and Laycool

In big events, Vickie overdoes the excuse me's until they hurt! another toilet break during the entrances. I came back to see Dolph Ziggler hugging Snooki... but then get told he was break up the fight that started before the bell. Looked extremely awkward. Ugg boots to the ring too... seriously? Anyway. I like how Dolph Ziggler done NOTHING. He took a pretty nice Starship Pain from the trunbuckle to the floor though. The big talking point was Snooki, but surprisingly for a good reason. She connected with the Trish Springboard Elbow really well. She has had gymnastics training perviously and that definitely showed, and surprised us all. And one more flip and splash, and we have winners!

Winners: John Morrison, Trish Stratus and Nicole "Snooki" Polazzi

2/5 - Not exactly Snookimania, even though she was the one that impressed in this match. The timing gave away how short this match was going to be. If I had booked Mania though, I would have scrapped this and The Corres tag match and given Sheamus and Bryan time for a good good US title match.

Extreme Rules: May 1st. My next review. As I have decided to review Pay Per Views regularly :) Feedback would be lovely.

Match Eight - Main Event - WWE Championship Match
John Cena Vs The Miz

The entrance movie for The Miz showing the past champions and his rise to stardom was nothing short of amazing. The "Awesome" letter balloons... not so much. And... what was Alex Riley wearing? John Cenas.... exert from DMX's Prayer III. Or as my friend said "He sounds like Busta Rhymes... but after a heavy night on the booze." Div. The choir and the God references didn't fit his music, but it worked to a certain extent. When the match started no-one could really get good offence for a long period of time. But some time into the match, Miz got one right hand in, and it dropped Cena, and after that, he wasn't the same for a while. I think even Jim Ross picked up on it. Miz picked up a lot of good offence here. Cena was always going to fight back though, and fight back he did. Applied the STF, and Miz sold it well, and got to the ropes. 2 failed AA's, and then a hit into the exposed turnbuckle by Alex Riley meant Cena got a Skull-crushing Finale, but for a 2 count. The ref gets knocked out 2 seconds before Cena hits the AA, and Miz falls out of the ring after a near fall. A clothesline from Cena sends them both over the barrier, and neither of them, not even superCena could get up in a ten count after it. ding ding fucking ding.

Draw: But Still WWE Champion, The Miz

IF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Out comes the Mania host for only the second time. Tkaes his tracksuit top off and gets down to the ring, and is about to lay the law down when the laptop goes off again. J.R and Lawler want to read it, but nope... Rockys the man for the job.... and the GM thinks...... well I don't think it matters. The Rock decides that the match restarts straight away, no DQ rulings. So the match restarts with Cena throwing Miz in the ring and setting him up for the Atitude Adjustment. Miz escapes but waiting for Cena is a readied Rock, exacting revenge from Raw, and lying Cena out with the Rock Bottom. As Rocky leaves, The Miz covers Cena to retain the title, and give Cena his first one on one loss in 8 attempts at Mania.

Winner: And STILL WWE Champion, The Miz

4/5 - The Rock makes this a very good watch, and in all fairness, Cena looked weaker than Miz through the match. Deserved, if not surprising title defence for The Miz.

The Rock sees The Miz celebrating, but only one man is closing this Wrestlemania. The Rock proceeds to layeth the smacketh down on the Miz, and for the second time in a week gives him a peoples elbow. With the Rock owning both competitors of the main even he poses on the turnbuckle to end the show.

OVERALL

3/5 - The guys that the WWE needed performances gave performances to surpass the Pay Per View. I was more annoyed at the booking rather than some of the matches. I haven't checked if this is fact but I believe this is the first Wrestlemania with No new champions. But 2 title matches is probably a record of low title matches too. Not so much the most memorable Wrestlemania of all time that we were promised, but it was an enjoyable watch. The creative looked at what everyone wanted to see as a wide range, and in that, sacrificing what hardcore wrestling fans may like to see. (namely the US title match) I enjoyed it, but it could have been so much more.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
First of all, bloody fantastic review.

I didn't get to see WrestleMania since I wasn't home when it was on and this was a great recap. Wasn't over detailed with the matches which is nice since, I don't need to know that at the two minute mark they went for an irish whip, the focus was on the overall feel of the show and the overall recap of the matches and segments.

I was confused by a few of WWE's decisions like to scrap the US title match and to make the eight man tag a two minute match. In a four hour show they can't find twenty minutes, hell even fifteen minutes, for those two matches? I liked the ending since The Rock is a legend, yes he just destroyed the champion and challenger but who cares he is awesome and can do what he wants.

Excellent review and I look forward to the next one.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
I like the review bud, but even with the Rock's involvement Cena and Miz is nowhere near 4/5. The match could max out to 3/5 at the least, I like your take on Orton and Punk and agree why you gave it that score. Cena and Miz though is nowhere near the score you gave it, still great review bud.

Rev

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, I liked it. More pictures and colour? Maybe...