Kurt Angle Still Talking About MMA and the Olympics

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
kurt-angle_large.jpg
Kurt Angle is an extremely talented wrestler and one of the greatest pro-wrestlers of all time. However, for the past couple of years he's continued to talk about how "this will be the year!" that he finally makes his MMA debut. This year is no different. However, he is also angling to make the US Olympic Team for the 2012 games. He recently spoke with MMA weekly about his goals for both MMA and the Olympics:

I’ve been training for five months. I contacted USA Wrestling. By the end of the year, I will probably be out at the Olympic training center for periods of time. Their concern was ‘Kurt, are you really doing this? We need you out here because if you make the team, God willing, we want you to medal

Angle landed a role in the upcoming movie Warrior where he plays the undefeated Russian wrecking machine Koba. According to Kurt, after they finished filming, he contacted UFC President Dana White about potentially signing with the UFC.

I actually contacted Dana White again after the movie. I flew out to meet him once and got a great offer. I contacted him again, I was thinking about dropping out of Impact wrestling, and there were some personal problems with my marriage and I just wanted to get away. I contacted Dana White, I flew out, and he had me take the UFC physical. I passed it, thank God, and he gave me the offer. The terms weren’t good, I mean not for me, and the terms I gave him weren’t good for him. He wanted me ready in four-and-a-half weeks; I wanted three to six months. So I respect Dana White and I love him to death, very good friend. I knew I was capable of winning in four-and-a-half weeks, but I wanted to be at my best.

No one can argue that Kurt Angle isn't a special brand of athlete. But there are major concerns about his overall health. Angle has suffered a ton of injuries in his pro-wrestling career including breaking his neck five times. His body is broken down and at one point he was needing a painkiller cocktail just to get through the menial tasks of the day. He's obviously a fan of MMA but his better days are behind him. Had he made the transition to the sport right after the '96 Olympics he could have made a great run. Right now he's in no shape to compete against the best the UFC has to offer. It's true. It's damn true.