Kota Ibushi talks injury difficulties

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
crs_318726_7.webp

Kota Ibushi continues to deal with injuries as he heads into Sunday's WrestleDream.

The 41-year-old suffered a shoulder injury in the finals of the G1 Climax on October 21, 2021. After numerous setbacks in his recovery and a public falling out with NJPW, he wouldn't return to the ring again for 17 months.

Ibushi recently told Sports Illustrated that he's still not fully recovered and is also dealing with more recent injuries.

“I cannot say that I am completely better,” said Ibushi, speaking through a translator. “Newer injuries have proven difficult. However, my fighting style will never be limited. I will continue to find a way to fight.”

Ibushi will team with Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega to wrestle The Don Callis Family in Seattle on Sunday. He teased that he also has a future "dream match" opponent in mind.

“I hope to be able to play a role in deepening the connection between Japan and the United States,” he continued. “After that, I personally want to have a dream match with a wrestler I have yet to fight. Hopefully, you will soon know who that is.”

Ibushi has wrestled five times since his match against Kazuchika Okada in the 2021 G1 Finals was stopped early. Those include All In on August 27 and his first match back in Japan at a GLEAT show in Korakuen Hall on August 4.

Ibushi returned to the ring over WrestleMania week this year for GCW, wrestling at Bloodsport 9 and Spring Break 7. He then made his AEW debut on July 30 in the Blood & Guts match.

In response to criticism that he was moving slowly in the double-ring cage match, Ibushi posted that he "ended up moving like an old man" after stepping on thumbtacks.

"I'm home It's my fault that I didn't know thumbtacks and glass after all this time. I have thin wrestling shoes, so it penetrated and it was just painful from the middle, and I ended up moving like an old man. I'm sorry! Far from being unable to kick, both ankles were stiff," a translation of his post reads.

"Life with a cane for the first time in my life No, I'll be cured tomorrow! That is Kota Ibushi!"