Konnan speaks on issues between him and Tony Khan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Konnan opened up about some of the issues between him and Tony Khan during a recent edition of his Keepin it 100 podcast.

He told his co-hosts that a rift between him and Khan formed after the AEW president pulled Sammy Guevara and Tay Melo from AAA Nocho de Campeones in late 2022. According to Konnan, Khan pulled the pair from the show after another wrestler on the AEW roster got COVID and Khan wanted Melo as a replacement.

“Tony got really, really mad about this and I can’t even believe he got mad,” Konnan said on the show.

Konnan says he didn’t understand why with so many women on the AEW roster Melo had to be used as the replacement. Khan later got upset with Konnan after he referred to the wrestler with COVID as “some chick.”

“I was thinking to myself, you’ve got so many girls but you’re going to use her.. okay. And then I said on the podcast, I go ‘some chick got (COVID)’ because I’m pretty sure he didn’t want me to say the name. And when he saw me, he goes, ‘What do you mean some chick?’ Like, oh give me a break, dude. So, would you rather have had me say the name?’

“It’s not being disrespectful. If you say ‘chick’ I think they know what you mean. ‘Hey, that’s a hot chick,’ is that disrespectful?” He continued.

Konnan continued to say AAA doesn’t need to work with AEW, calling them hard to deal with.

“We’ve been selling out everywhere. We don’t even need AEW, and they’re expensive and it’s hard to deal with them because they pull ’em out at the last minute. I see they haven’t had that problem with Arena Mexico. Whether he’s trying to stick it up… because I don’t put over his thing or he’s just having a good business relationship and it’s easier to work with them, I have no idea.”

Konnan said AEW pulled wrestlers from AAA shows a “minimum of six times.”

“It (was) even before I started criticizing him. This is from like the very beginning,” he continued.

“I’m going to be very vague with what I’m about to tell you and remember I said it today and very soon you’ll find out what I’m talking about, what comes around goes around. And when it happens, you’re going to go, ‘Okay, now I see what you’re talking about.’ So, have your little fun while you can.”

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Sounds like childish squabble that both sides could fix tbh.

Working relationships have proven to be successsful right now.

But I'm not gonna point fingers and say "this guy is right or this guy is wrong or this guy needs to apologize"

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Dude's actually losing it right? Cause like...the reason Tony hasn't pulled anyone from Arena Mexico yet is most likely not bc he just loves them so much more than Konnan...it's cause he's only sent talent on Friday nights when AEW doesn't run :lol

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Sounds like childish squabble that both sides could fix tbh.

Working relationships have proven to be successsful right now.

But I'm not gonna point fingers and say "this guy is right or this guy is wrong or this guy needs to apologize"

I don't think any of it is true is the issue, not that he's lying but that he's just assuming.

I think Tony got pissed when FTR lost the tag titles to Dragon Lee who then announced directly after the match he was vacating the titles and going to WWE, and from that point on they didn't really fuck with AAA and started working with CMLL instead who refuse to work with AAA (it's not both ways, some people think AAA has the rule too but they don't actually care)

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Dude's actually losing it right? Cause like...the reason Tony hasn't pulled anyone from Arena Mexico yet is most likely not bc he just loves them so much more than Konnan...it's cause he's only sent talent on Friday nights when AEW doesn't run :lol
Is this really the case?

Don't want to make it sound like a have a dog in the fight. This is all news to me

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Is this really the case?

Don't want to make it sound like a have a dog in the fight. This is all news to me

It happened, if that's why Tony got mad at Konnan is up for debate but the timeline matches and all the dirt sheets reported he was pissed at Konnan bc of it when it happened.

The Tay stuff was also reported bc Konnan said it himself on the podcast, I don't recall any heat there and Konnan only sounded mildly annoyed she was pulled too.

As for the other talent being pulled, I believe it and I believe that was annoying for Konnan, but he's acting like Tony pulled out of the partnership, if he pulled out himself for those reasons I'd also understand more. I simply think he doesn't know why Tony got mad, my assumption is a combination of that FTR thing and then just the opportunity to have CMLL as a partner instead

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Oh I just realized you were replying to the arena Mexico thing lol again that's my assumption, but so far AEW has only sent talent to the Friday shows (which are the biggest) which is a day they don't run shows so yes they'll never have to pull them in that situation. I highly doubt Tony would leave a talent booked if he needed them just to make CMLL happy if his normal MO is to pull them

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Lol Konnan is a paranoid and self admittedly hard to work with guy. I've enjoyed the cmll stuff

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
I don't know Konnan outside of Lucha Underground but back then I remember already hearing about him being difficult to work with.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Konnan says he didn’t understand why with so many women on the AEW roster Melo had to be used as the replacement. Khan later got upset with Konnan after he referred to the wrestler with COVID as “some chick.”

“I was thinking to myself, you’ve got so many girls but you’re going to use her.. okay. And then I said on the podcast, I go ‘some chick got (COVID)’ because I’m pretty sure he didn’t want me to say the name. And when he saw me, he goes, ‘What do you mean some chick?’ Like, oh give me a break, dude. So, would you rather have had me say the name?’

“It’s not being disrespectful. If you say ‘chick’ I think they know what you mean. ‘Hey, that’s a hot chick,’ is that disrespectful?” He continued.
It's almost funny, if it weren't so sad to see that Konnan apparently has no fuckin' clue what is so wrong with this.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
It's almost funny, if it weren't so sad to see that Konnan apparently has no fuckin' clue what is so wrong with this.
Sounds like when boomers trying to explain why their rude comments are not rude when using questionable language

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I don't know Konnan outside of Lucha Underground but back then I remember already hearing about him being difficult to work with.
Konnan is notoriously soft and kind of a massive asshole. Kevin Nash's podcast partner Sean Oliver shits all over Konnan for agreeing to do a Kayfabe Commentaries shoot years ago, taking the deposit, and never bothering to show up.

Reactions: Death By Looch

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Sounds like when boomers trying to explain why their rude comments are not rude when using questionable language
Yea, like that. Also the fact that he apparently thinks there are only two ways when it comes to talking about a specific woman. Either calling her a "chick" or by her name. I wonder if he ever used a phrase like "female Wrestler" in the first place (other than in a derogatory manner)...