Katsuyori Shibata comments on return to the ring on Rampage, future plans

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
d8135e17-3ba9-4376-b203-b027ea820f6e.jpg

Katsuyori Shibata has commented on returning to the ring after 10 months to face Orange Cassidy on AEW Rampage.

Shibata suffered an acute subdural hematoma in 2017 following his match against Kazuchika Okada at NJPW Sakura Genesis. He collapsed backstage and required emergency surgery. It was believed his wrestling career was over but he would return for a grappling match against Zack Sabre Jr. in 2021 and later defeated Ren Narita at Wrestle Kingdom 16 earlier this year.

Shibata was defeated by Orange Cassidy in an All-Atlantic Championship match on AEW Rampage last Friday. He recently spoke with Tokyo Sports about the experience.

"It's frustrating, really. The result is the same, and I have a lot of things to reflect on in terms of movement. I felt that I was back on the battlefield and that the ring is special. Sometimes things go well, and sometimes things don't go well. I really felt alive," a translation of his comments reads.

"I always wanted a chance," Shibata continued. "I thought that if I waited in Japan, I would never get a chance. I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity I have now. I wanted to give it my all."

Shibata continued to say that attending Antonio Inoki's funeral last month motivated him to return to the ring.

"There were many things I thought about. If it weren't for Mr. Inoki and New Japan Pro-Wrestling, I wouldn't have been born. That is the level I am talking about. I realized that Mr. Inoki is one of the reasons for my existence. I realized that I must not extinguish the fire of my fighting spirit."

Shibata also reacted to Mike Tyson working on commentary for his match against Cassidy.

"I watched a lot of Tyson's videos when I was doing mixed martial arts. I respect him. I never thought that five and a half years after my injury, I would be competing in the U.S. and Mike Tyson would be commentating. I thought that if you work hard and live life to the fullest, things like dreams can come true."

Shibata also said he plans on wrestling again in the near future.

"I think I will have a match in the near future. I've started to make a move," he said.

According to our own Dave Meltzer, Shibata requested to have two matches in AEW: one against Cassidy and the other against Bryan Danielson.