Josh Barnett Granted License To Fight In California

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
In 2009, just over a week ahead of his highly-anticipated Affliction matchup against Fedor Emelianenko, Josh Barnett tested positive for the anabolic steroid Drostanolone. The positive test, Barnett's career second, saw the fight cancelled and is partially credited by most to have assisted in Affliction's demise as a promotion.

Until today, Barnett has been unable to resolve his outstanding issues with the California State Athletic Commission to get re-licensed in the state. Hearings to reinstate Barnett's license have been delayed and postponed repeatedly over the past three years, but have finally been seen through.

Barnett is due to meet Daniel Cormier this May in the final round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix and, with the promotion looking to stage the show in California, The Warmaster had to iron things out with the CSAC. The 34-year-old appeared before the commission today and appears to have done so -- at least tentatively -- having been granted a license to fight in the state, with the condition that he submit to random drug testing prior to his next bout.

He's fights May 19th, in the Strike force heavy weight grand prix finals and then hopefully he'll end up back in the UFC.

Ben

Reaction score
He wins the Grand Prix no doubt, and he'll be back in the UFC.

Just a shame that SF managed to F up the grand prix so bad, most people including myself forgot about it, at least there actually going to finish it though.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah I had forgotten about it until it was announced over the weekend that it was set to finish off in May. It was orignally supposed to be this past weekend, but Cormier fucked his hand up and they went with Tate vs. Rousey instead.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I'm just glad I get to cash in my bet on Barnett that I put on at the start, something like a 18/1 outsider I think, and I had a tenner on him.

I would back Barnett over every UFC heavyweight bar Overeem, FTR.

Ben

Reaction score
Don't know how his relationship with Dana and Lorenzo is now, but got to imagine he comes up after this. Def will help the division as there's lots of interesting matches for him. Seeing him take on the winner or looser of Cain/Mir would be a pretty nice way to start in the UFC.