Jose Aldo talks KO Win At UFC Rio, Future In The Featherweight Division

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the fight? Did everything happen according to your plans?

Yeah. I knew Chad was a great wrestler and that he would try use the ground game against me, so I tried to prevent the takedowns. We tried to play our game and keep the distance so we could get the win.

Once again you proved your takedown defense is perfect. Is it something you train a lot because you know people are afraid of standing-up against you?

People always ask me about that. It’s something I always work on and we just try to get better and better. This time we brought Gray Maynard, so he coming here was great because he told me about his experience and all and it was great. We could give the fans that big show, I’m glad.

There were many expectations towards your return to Rio, especially on the main event, defending your title. Everybody wanted to talk to you, the press wanted interviews and all. How did you get prepared for that?

It was all cool. We gotta know how to handle the fans and the press because it is something that comes along with our success. So it’s cool. I always tried to talk to Dede (Andre Pederneiras) because I really wanted that, I wanted to put on a good show. I got my previous wins by points, so nothing better than fighting in Brazil, in the UFC, on the main event, to bring them this big show.

What changed in your life since this fight?

I’m getting more recognized, especially now it was broadcasted by an open TV channel. Wherever I go, people know me, ask me to take pictures, people talk to me, so it’s great. I’m prepared for that. I’ve always wanted to get to the place I am now, so now we just gotta work a lot to keep the flame alive.

You’ve tied Faber’s record of title defenses in WEC and in the UFC. What are your plans now?

The next step is to keep defending my title for a long time. We’re achieving our goals now, I’m seeing some of my personal dreams coming true, so we gotta keep working and I’m sure we’re gonna break much more records.

Many fans would like to see you on the lightweight, but Pederneiras said you’d only do that if you get a chance at the title. What do you think about that?

That I leave for Andre to decide. He takes care of my career. He knows better. If he thinks I should fight, I will. If he thinks it’s not the time yet, I’ll stay here. I’m feeling great on the featherweight. I really wanted to test myself a while ago, since I was at WEC, but Andre knows better. I’ll fight if he wants me to, otherwise I’ll just stay here.

When you saw Chad Mendes was knocked out you ran to the fans, like you once did in WEC. What were you thinking?

Actually I was running to one side of the octagon but I ran to the other. It was big, man. Since Ultimate matched we up people were being very affectionate, fans sent me messages, so I thought to myself: if I win this thing, I’m gonna run to the fans. Thank God everything worked out, I could run. The fans liked it, everyone liked it, so it was great.