Jon Fitch: 'I'll be More Than Ready for UFC in San Jose'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
jon-fitch_large.jpg
Top welterweight contender Jon Fitch has been out with a major shoulder injury, but it appears there is light at the end of the tunnel. Fitch, who pulled out of a UFC 132 rematch with B.J. Penn due to the injury, turned to his twitter to break his news about when he should be back. And he's aiming to fight in his backyard:

.bbpBox83254152209240064 {background:url(http://a3.twimg.com/profile_background_images/175919920/jon_fitch_medium.jpg) #1A1B1F;padding:20px;} p.bbpTweet{background:#fff;padding:10px 12px 10px 12px;margin:0;min-height:48px;color:#000;font-size:18px !important;line-height:22px;-moz-border-radius:5px;-webkit-border-radius:5px} p.bbpTweet span.metadata{display:block;width:100%;clear:both;margin-top:8px;padding-top:12px;height:40px;border-top:1px solid #fff;border-top:1px solid #e6e6e6} p.bbpTweet span.metadata span.author{line-height:19px} p.bbpTweet span.metadata span.author img{float:left;margin:0 7px 0 0px;width:38px;height:38px} p.bbpTweet a:hover{text-decoration:underline}p.bbpTweet span.timestamp{font-size:12px;display:block}

Great news. I will be cleared to start training camp sept 1st. I'll be more than ready for #UFC in San Jose.less than a minute ago via Echofon Favorite Retweet Reply Jon Fitch
jonfitchdotnet

The event he's referring to is UFC 138, which is tentatively scheduled for November 19th and is expected to be main-evented by a heavyweight title fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos. That would give Fitch just over 11 weeks to prepare for an opponent at AKA, which just happens to be a few miles from HP Pavilion. But who would that opponent be?

Logic would dictate that the UFC would go back to it's original plan and place the rematch between Fitch and BJ on this card, but there's also Jake Shields. Shields is a native of the area and has been patiently been waiting for a booking since his loss to Georges St. Pierre. Will it be Fitch/Penn 2? Fitch/Shields? Will it only be a three-rounder since there's a title fight in the main event? I guess we'll find out the answers to these questions in short order.