Jon Fitch Cleared to Compete, Changes Stance on Who He'll Fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
jon_fitch_500x325_ufc_large.png
Jon Fitch has been out for a long time after shoulder surgery, but he finally got the green light from his doctor to return to training yesterday. While Fitch has been on the shelf, all of the big fights he wanted have passed him by. His rematch against B.J. Penn fell apart and Penn is now facing Carlos Condit. He wanted to fight Jake Shields (and Shields wanted to face him), but Shields was paired up with Jake Ellenberger instead. And it didn't help that Fitch had this to say back in early June:

"I'm at a point in my career where I need to be fighting main events and main event fighters," Fitch told MMAWeekly.com. "And if you don't have a belt, currently, or you haven't owned a belt in the UFC, I'm not really interested."

It appears that Fitch has come to his senses and understands the situation now though. He spoke to NBC Sports about it:

"Everyone I really want to fight is busy, so I'll fight whoever they tell me right night now. Just don't want to wait to fight."

Fitch had talked recently about Martin Kampmann being a good matchup for him, but he was recently matched up with Rick Story on the UFC 139 card in San Jose that Fitch would like to fight on himself. It seems like there are only two candidates left - Johny Hendricks and Rory MacDonald. Fitch would be a huge step up for both, but who else is there?