Jim Ross re-signs one year deal

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I’m kind of with Jake on this one. I haven’t really felt excited about Jim on commentary in a good minute. Like others though I wouldn’t mind if he just came in for special main events. Like I did like that, he commentated Sting’s retirement.
Which is all I want, and like I said let him be the bridge between Tony and some of the older talent. The people Jim Ross has known, Hardy’s, Copeland, Christian, etc.

BSE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Sports Team
nnLKsfY
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Really has zero to do with him as a talent. I feel for him in his personal struggles. Still doesn’t mean I want him on tv.
Personal issues can certainly affect job performance

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Personal issues can certainly affect job performance

Yeah not my point at all but I’m not really gonna argue about the semantics of my point

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Which is all I want, and like I said let him be the bridge between Tony and some of the older talent. The people Jim Ross has known, Hardy’s, Copeland, Christian, etc.

Honestly I doubt he does any of that stuff anymore at all

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I feel like any of the backstage shit may be too much for him at this point

Reactions: Gentleman Jake

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
He hasn't wanted to do backstage jobs since WWE tbf they just wanted to phase him off of commentary too when he told them that. So I don't think he wants to for AEW either

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
He hasn't wanted to do backstage jobs since WWE tbf they just wanted to phase him off of commentary too when he told them that. So I don't think he wants to for AEW either
Fair enough. :lol I just was trying to find him stuff to do.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I would rather not listen to him on commentary myself as he is very bad more than he is good nowadays. If it is for rare main events then I can deal

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

During a Q&A episode of his Grilling JR podcast, Ross was asked if this could be the last year of his Hall of Fame commentary career. Ross said he thinks it "more than likely" will be his last year announcing, but that is to be determined. Ross said that's up to him, his health, and Tony Khan:

I think so. It's realistic to think that way. You know, I'm 72 years old. I feel good. I'm getting healthier every day, which is great. But I can think realistically this could be my last year -- and more than likely will. That's to be determined. That's between me, my health, and Tony Khan seeing how much to utilize me. Right now, it's a good plan because I'm essentially working, as I understand it, pay-per-views only. So that's where you'll find me once a month working these pay-per-views as the plan goes as we speak. We all know that in pro wrestling things change on a fly and things could be different, but I don't think so on this occasion.

Ross said he's fine with the plan for him to only call AEW PPVs.

weareOSW

Reaction score
He's one of the best commentators of all time in my opinion. I'm glad he's getting some money but hope not to see him too often. His commentary isn't quite as good as the others or as it used to be. I'm a big fan of the current table and would like to see more of Taz, if anything.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

During a Q&A episode of his Grilling JR podcast, Ross was asked if this could be the last year of his Hall of Fame commentary career. Ross said he thinks it "more than likely" will be his last year announcing, but that is to be determined. Ross said that's up to him, his health, and Tony Khan:

Ross said he's fine with the plan for him to only call AEW PPVs.

That's honestly a good plan. I know his health has been up and down the past couple of years and even if he has that name value, we have seen what it is like when someone hangs on too long. Give him this year to call PPVs, also mix in some sit down interviews because, genuinely, it is one of the best things he's done in AEW since his commentary has declined a fair bit. Maybe find a match that he would love to call on the last PPV where we can end on a high and hang his cowboy hat on. Let him take the lead on that match too. Anyone else for Play-by-play sit back and let him do his work one more time. Then after he's done, keep the door open, give him a good severance package so he can retire comfortably, and if WWE wants to bring him in for one final PPV or match to call, support him.

I know we've been hard on you, Jim. I know life hasn't been easy on you JR, but if this is your last year in wrestling, I hope you end on a high and have a great retirement after because you deserve it. Thanks for the memories.