Jake Shields vs. Jake Ellenberger Likely For Fall UFC Event

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
jake-shields_large.jpg
It looks like Jake Shields won't get his wish to fight B.J. Penn next, but his opponent sure got what he asked for. Shields will face a welterweight who's on a four-fight winning streak and has asked to fight Shields for a while now. Jake Ellenberger. MMAFighting has it:

Following his unanimous decision UFC welterweight title loss in April, Jake Shields likely will next face surging 170-pounder Jake Ellenberger.

Though the fight has not yet been made official by the UFC, sources close to the bout confirmed to MMA Fighting last week that the fighters have agreed to the planned matchup for this fall.

The fight is not tied to any particular event yet, but with UFC 138 taking place in Jake's backyard in San Jose on November 19th, it would be logical to believe it will take place there. Shields is coming off a loss to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title fight at UFC 129, which Ellenberger is coming off a big knockout of Sean Pierson on the same card. Some feel that this battle of grinders might not be the most pleasant thing to watch, but I'm very happy with this matchmaking. I think it will be a great fight, and leaves the opportunity open for B.J. Penn vs. Jon Fitch to possibly take place on the same card in November.