Jake Shields Excited To Get Back In The Octagon In 2012

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Jake Shields went from the No. 1 contender to the UFC welterweight title to just trying to get himself back on track following a difficult 2011. To begin the new year, Shields will travel to Japan to face Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 144 in February.

Shields suffered a decision loss to UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre, and was knocked out by Jake Ellenberger in his next fight. Between those two tough losses, Shields suffered an even bigger setback, as his father, Jack, passed away.

"It's just one of those things," said Shields, in a recent interview with UFC.com. "I got a little anxious out there and kinda walked into a knee (against Ellenberger), and it could have happened at any time. Obviously, things possibly could have been different, you just never know. Jake's a good power puncher and one of those guys you make one mistake and you can walk into something."

In welcoming Akiyama to the welterweight division, Shields hopes 2012 is a year to remember for himself in MMA.

"It (2011) has definitely been a tough year, but I'm hoping to bounce back and be a lot stronger in 2012," Shields said. "(Akiyama) is a tough guy and I'm not taking him lightly."

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The question is... will Akiyama have better cardio as a welterweight? Cause if not... he will be tapping.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Hopefully Shields decides to have more interesting fights in 2012. His fight against GSP was terrible because he tried to do nothing at all and was on the defensive the entire time. I hope he doesn't get near the title again because he is no chance.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
He was the first to take a round from GSP in I dunno how many fights. It wasn't the most exciting fight I agree but Shields accomplished more in that fight than so many others that have fought against GSP that you can't just simply discredit him that easily. If Shields were to have gotten it to the ground... it would have been a very very different story and fight. But since they stayed standing most of the fight it was in GSP's favor but Shields did accomplish some.

Shields is very talented and I'm hoping he does get back in contention again.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I hope they dont cut Akiyama after this, hes an exciting guy, win or lose.

Kind of like Leben and Bonnar.

Deuce

Reaction score
I am pretty excited as well, hope he does much better in the octagon when he comes back. He has the potential and has pretty decent technique, good fighter overall.