Jake Ellenberger vs. Jake Shields Three Rounder to Headline UFN 25

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Jake_Ellenberger_500x3250_large.png
Well, this is a little strange. Yesterday brought news that Jake Ellenberger vs. Jake Shields would be taking place in the fall. I assumed it would be at UFC 138 in Shields' backyard, but apparently I was wrong. The fight will headline UFC Fight Night 25: Battle on the Bayou on September 17th instead. Strangely though, it's only going to be a three rounder. UFC.com has it:

The main event for UFC Fight Night in New Orleans on September 17 has been verbally agreed to as Jake Shields takes on Jake "The Juggernaut" Ellenberger.

Shields recently took welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre the distance and ended his record streak of consecutive rounds won. The hard-hitting Ellenberger is one of the top prospects in the welterweight division having won eight of his last nine fights.

"Ellenberger is on a mission to get his first shot at a world title, and Shields is determined to get another crack at it," said UFC President Dana White. The televised bout is scheduled for three rounds.

I think it's a great fight, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the reasoning behind this only being three rounds. It was less than a month ago that Dana White specifically said all televised non-title main events would be five rounds. They're not exactly jumping into the deep end of that policy by limiting this to three.