Jailbreak for iPhone/iPod Touch.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I've been looking into this Jailbreak thing for my iPhone lately. I've done a bit of reading on it, and can't seem to get a lot of helpful info on it. I want it so I can customise things like my ringtones (and more importantly) and my message tones. Maybe just customise some other cool things as well.

I don't really need the free Apps and shit that come with it. I also dont know about the risks that come with installing this. What if something goes wrong with it? What if it crashes or something on my iPhone? Can I just restore it via iTunes and I'm good to go again?

Help on the topic would be greatly appreciated...

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
Bro, I did this to my itouch just four days ago. I'm not sure how it works for an iPhone, but I did mines on my own, and it took a good two hours. Then again, I can be technically challenged. Anyways, its simple, but not as good as I thought it would be. Redsnow, a program you can DL to jailbreak, is pretty good for iPhones, and came with a bunch of themes, and ringtones I couldn't put on my itouch. What sucks was, that I guess I did something wrong, and I couldn't turn on my iPod at all. When I did, the screen showed the itunes logo, and the charger plug. I was like "WTF", and I had to restore it to use it again. Sad thing is, I didn't dave any music, or apps, so I had to re-up everything.

YouTube has some easy videos on how to do it, but I'd rather just pay someone $10 to do it for me.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
If you do this you void your warranty. Which means if something does fuck up on your phone that you can't fix, you're fucked.

Klide

I jailbreaked my tounch months ago when I had the 2.0 firmware but just yesterday I unjailbroke it to get the latest firmware 3.0 or sumthin. But yeah it's worth jailbreaking for the first few months then it gets slow and laggy.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I've been looking into this Jailbreak thing for my iPhone lately. I've done a bit of reading on it, and can't seem to get a lot of helpful info on it. I want it so I can customise things like my ringtones (and more importantly) and my message tones. Maybe just customise some other cool things as well.

I don't really need the free Apps and shit that come with it. I also dont know about the risks that come with installing this. What if something goes wrong with it? What if it crashes or something on my iPhone? Can I just restore it via iTunes and I'm good to go again?

Help on the topic would be greatly appreciated...

As a former employee of AT&T, I can almost answer this pretty well. But I've never heard of Jailbreaking.

However, if it's anything like "unlocking" your phone to be eligible to be used on another service provider, it's specifically in AT&T's contract with Apple that they cannot and will not unlock the iPhone. If evidence is shown that somebody has done that and AT&T didn't discontinue their service then that would be a breach of contract and Apple could sue AT&T for a shitload of money.

However, if Jailbreaking the phone is just some application you can download online then as long as you do NOT sync your iPhone back up to your computer while the software is on there then you should be ok. Instead of choosing your normal "back up and restore" options you would simply go to "restore" with no back up file because if you back it up then your just saving your broken software. And as Monkeystyle said, if it fucks up your phone, you're not eligible for a replacement or even repairing.

Reaction score
^^^Yeh I believe you can go with any provider/carrier if you jail break your phone. However, for me that's not the case, I'm happy with who I'm with atm.

That was the one main thing I was worried about, was voiding my warranty by installing it. I figured that'd be the case, and it's the thing I'm most worried about, heh. Thanks for the input ppl.