Is What I Want to Ask My Mentor Bad?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
When I am not in school I spend a good part of my time at a wildlife refuge volunteering. I am working between that, and school to become a professional animal caretaker one day. My mentor at the refuge told me not long ago that I have to be sure this is what I want out of life. That since I am only feeding, and caring for the relatively healthy animals that I only see the light side of it.
The other day really got me thinking. Tuesday a fox came in with horrific injuries. His one leg was ripped off completely, the other was hanging by threads of muscle. We had to put him to sleep because he would have had no quality of life, and while we help hundreds of animals a year some are just beyond our healing hands. I have been thinking of asking my mentor to let me assist in a euthanasia once. She is right, I need to know what the dark side is like as well as the light side. We never euthanize anything that we can save, and we give EVERY animal the best fighting chance, and everything we have to heal it. All euthansias are done only to those who have NO chance at all. Really we only do it out of mercy.
I believe I need to learn ALL aspects of this business so I know how I'll feel than. Am I wrong to want to learn the not so shiny side of this business?

MikeRaw

Only ask if you're actually qualified to do it. If it's something you're not supposed to be doing, well, obviously, don't. But if you're actually at a level where you're able to, I don't see why not. If you want to eventually "move up the ranks" or whatever, in the whole animal thing, you're going to have to learn that stuff.