How WWE should book – retiring the US Championship

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestleCult

Jobber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
To celebrate the launch of our Facebook Page (shameless plug) - WrestleCult
We're posting here one of the fantasy booking you would be able to find on our page.

How WWE should book – retiring the US championship (and creating a 6-man tag team championship):

Now you may have read the title and asked "why would the WWE agree to lose such an important title?" and the reason is – because WWE didn't create it.
WWE has a tendency to care much less about stuff that already existed before debuting on WWE brand – ECW, the big gold belt, Sting himself said that he didn't want to come to WWE after WCW closed because he saw how WWE treated the WCW guys, even the invasion angle flopped because Vince didn't want his guys to look weak compared to some of the WCW guys.

The US title lost most of its prestige by being constantly downgraded to the PPV pre-show and sometimes not even being defended on a PPV at all. Yes, the Intercontinental title suffers from the same treatment, but the IC title has a much richer history in WWE.

Also, by being the second biggest title on SmackDown Live, it takes a lot of the screen time from a 2-hour show that already struggles to use all of its talent.
By retiring the title and creating a new 6-man tag team championship, 6 wrestlers (or even 9 or 12 if you want to go crazy with a triple threat/fatal 4-way) will get a screen time every week instead of 2 or 3 for the US title depending on the match. Wrestlers like Tye Dillinger, Aiden English and much more will finally have time to shine, and will have a purpose. It will add something unique to SmackDown Live. Something that you can't find on Raw and another reason to watch the show. New Japan proved that with good booking it can work. It will create so many opportunities for feuds and for new wrestlers to go over with the crowd. The New Day would be able to leave the tag team division and move to the 6-man tag division which will make them feel fresh again.

It's important to write those reasons down, because we want the heel wrestler who wants to retire the title to have an actual agenda, and not want to erase the title just because that how he woke up in the morning. A great heel is one who has reasons for the things that he does, and that he can actually make the viewer understand where he comes from. And the wrestler I would have used is – Rusev. I would use Rusev because he can carry himself on the mic and in the ring, and while we don't want him to be another generic Anti-American foreigner (which he will actually call out), it adds easy, cheap heat to his character.

*There is no timeline for the storyline, but it should happen near one of the big 4 PPVs.

So the way the storyline starts is – Rusev wins a battle royal to become the number one contender for the title, he wins it at the next PPV, he then throws it on the ground, put his foot on it and starts talking:
"You're booing me because in your mind I'm just another stereotypical foreigner who hates America, but if you'll open your eyes and listen to me, you'll see that I'm fighting the fight of all the wrestlers in the back who needs to pay for food, hotels and had to travel for hours only to sit in the locker room without even going out and doing what they love. SmackDown Live is supposed to be the land of opportunities, but this show will never live up to its motto as long as wrestlers will have to suffer. They will never have the chance to succeed as long as the US title blocks their way, and the only way to fix this problem, is by destroying this title". Rusev then goes out of the ring, he takes a sledgehammer and starts to hit the belt until parts of it start to fall off, similar to Tetsuya Naito's actions with NJPW's IC title. As he continues to do so, Shane McMahon runs to the ring and tries to stop him. Rusev hits Shane, takes the belt and walks away.

On the next episode of Smackdown, Shane walks out to the ring and calls Rusev out. Shane says that for every action there is a reaction, Rusev disrespected the US title, and he will have to defend it against Randy Orton later that evening. In the match Rusev is very aggressive and after a few minutes he hits Randy with a chair and gets disqualified. He picks up a mic and talks about how Randy is actually the bad guy because he doesn't care about the younger talent and about the future of the business because he's already a future hall of famer and a multiple time world champion. He starts to destroy the belt again and then Chad Gable runs to the ring and tries to stop him. A match between the two for the title is being set to next week's episode.

Before their match, Rusev says "I'm disappointed in Chad Gable because I thought that he will be on my side considering the fact that he suffered from little to no screen time in the past, but Chad Gable only cares about his own legacy and not about his friends in the locker room. I want younger talent to thrive in WWE, because right now, WWE constantly relies on older talents like The Undertaker, Dwayne The Rock Johnson and Kurt Angle just to name a few because they can't build new stars, and I try to save this company from this destructive loop they got themselves into, and running the company into the ground". Rusev beats Gable in their match, gets a mic and says that if there is any other selfish wrestler in the back, he would be happy to beat the living hell out of him and announces an open challenge for next week, and then he starts to destroy the belt again.

Rusev continues doing so for the next few weeks, and disrespects the title along the way. Sometimes kicks the belt to the ring, other time he throws it on the titantron after a match. Every week he's being challenged by new wrestlers and ones that barely get screen time like Tye Dillinger and Sin Cara. His action Spread around WWE that even baby faces from NXT like Johnny Gargano and No Way Jose try to save the belt from Rusev. It gets to a point where all the mid-card baby faces have failed to take the title away from Rusev, so Shane calls Kurt Angle and asks him to send Roman Reigns because he once defeated Rusev for the US title. And a match between the two is being announced for one of the big 4 PPVs so it makes sense the two (who are from different brands) will fight against each other.

Before the match, Rusev says that "the US title was never really important for Vince and his family. The only reason they kept this title around is because the ignorant Americans who like to chant USA every time they see the title also buy a lot of merchandise. Vince never cared about the title because he didn't create it. And we all know Vince cares only about stuff that he creates. Ask every wrestler who came from WCW in the early 2000's, ask Sting why he didn't want to come to WWE when WCW closed. But why do I need to go 17 years back, when I can just direct you to the man that I'm about to face tonight - the golden boy of WWE, Roman Reigns. The man that violated the wellness policy and his punishment was to be thrown to the US title picture immediately when he returned from his suspension. Even though I've treated the title like garbage, I still have more respect to it than Roman ever had. Let me remind you how he used to carry the belt upside down over his shoulder like a trash bag, not because he thought it makes him look cool, but because he was ashamed. For Roman, the US title was a downgrade from the world title, he never defended it on PPVs or on TV, only on live events and he even competed for the world title while being the US champ. I break bits from this title every week, yet I still use my power as a champion to let young talent to show how good they are. Tonight will be the last time this title is being defended in WWE". as Rusev walks to the ring, he throws the title to the side oth the ramp. When the match starts, the commentary team are disgusted by the fact that the referee doesn't raise the belt in the begining, because Rusev didn't even bother to bring it to the ring.
Rusev beats Roman and completely destroys the US title. He throws the remains of the belt on the ground and walks away.

On the next episode of SmackDown Live, Shane says that while Rusev actions were unacceptable, he had some truth in his words. He then reveals the new 6-man tag team championship belts. Rusev has won and he is now ready to go challenge the WWE champion.

What we get from this storyline is a huge heel with a lot of momentum to become the next world champion, titles that are exclusive to the SmackDown Live brand, and a platform for more wrestlers to shine and show their skills.

Let us know what you think!

Reactions: JBan and Solidus1