How and Why I Learned Japanese

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I was talking with @InsaneAlphaBeta who asked how I became fluent in Japanese. There are not enough characters for me to do that. So I decided to post this. The beginning of this is going to be really harsh, but i have to share it all.

I hate my father. And I don't mean I hate him as a person but have love for him. I have zero love for him and this might sound harsh, but I would piss on his grave whenever he dies. We will never make up because of the things he did and refuses to acknowledge or apologize for the things he did.

My father hates the Japanese. He believes they are trying to take over our government and force their culture on us. He bad mouths them, makes buck teeth jokes, little dick jokes and some nasty things that I will not tell you.

When I was in community college, I had to decide if I wanted to get an Associates of Arts degree or an Associates of Science. The difference between the two is an Arts degree requires four semesters of language and Science requires certain math classes.

I actually wanted to take the math classes. I mean, I hated it when I was younger. But in college, I became obsessed with math and statistics. I loved it.

But I chose the Arts degree. And I chose Japanese as my language because I thought if my father knew, he would have a anuerism or something. And that is why I picked it. Because at the time, I was a petty and spiteful little fuck.

I then I met Hanoka Sensei. She was my 101 teacher and one of the most loving and inspirational teachers ever. @EvilBlackCat confirm this. l loved her classes and she praised me all the time and I began loving Japanese.

When I transferred to a four year college, Bentely Sensei was a nice guy. I made Japanese my minor. And I took culture classes. We watched Throne of Blood and Ringu in the class. I became fascinated with the culture. I mean, it is a beautiful culture with a rich and lovely history. And I have to admit I live the femmy nature of the Heian Period.

I did something out of spite and hated. But it brought me into a world and a culture and a language that I fell in love with. I learned that the most amazing things can emerge from hatred.

I wanted to do my PhD on Japanese suicide, but at the time I was also studying serial killers because I was planning on joining the FBI and working on serial killers. The combination of the serial killers and suicide was too much for me, so I decided to go with cognitive psychology.

Once I graduated, I did not even consider FBI. I got a job translating Japanese psychology articles into English. I also work and talk to Japanese people who are family victims of suicide. Now, reading these articles ever day reinforced my Japanese.

And there we are. I did something completely out of hate, and a beautiful thing came out of it. I cannot even imagine not knowing about Japanese culture and language. And I cannot wait to go back to Illinois and give Hanoka Sensei a HUGE hug.

• Wow
Reactions: InsaneAlphaBeta

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Good lawd, and I thought I was a conspiracy theorist.

My dad is seriously mentally ill. Plus he is an an idiot.

You know I am sort of opposite of you with conspiracy theories. That's because even though I don't believe them, you are smart. You use reason.

But yeah, he believes that with all the manga, anime and sushi restaurants, the Japanese are forcing their culture on us against our will so soon they will use that to take over our government.

I'll tell you this, I will believe the Earth is flat before I ever believe his nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
My dad is seriously mentally ill. Plus he is an an idiot.

You know I am sort of opposite of you with conspiracy theories. That's because even though I don't believe them, you are smart. You use reason.

But yeah, he believes that with all the manga, anime and sushi restaurants, the Japanese are forcing their culture on us against our will so soon they will use that to take over our government.

I'll tell you this, I will believe the Earth is flat before I ever believe his nonsense.
I have no words. I have never heard of a single person ever believing this. They are one of the few countries that actually keep to themselves. They want to preserve their culture if anything. People are drawn to it for various reasons... No one is brainwashed into enjoying it.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Part of me was hopeing there was more then just having went to school lol, as i have been learning Japanese aswell recently and hope to learn it a fair bit by the end of the year!

Also i can relate to having a parent who you really...really dont like or even hate.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I have no words. I have never heard of a single person ever believing this. They are one of the few countries that actually keep to themselves. They want to preserve their culture if anything. People are drawn to it for various reasons... No one is brainwashed into enjoying it.

Agreed. And they are actually one of our closest and most important allies. They do a lot for us, giving us space and resources. Actually, they are one of the few countries that Mr. Trump has not demanded some sort of payment for our help. That tells us a LOT about how close we are with them.

And come on, anime is awesome. And even my meowcenaries like sushi.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Part of me was hopeing there was more then just having went to school lol, as i have been learning Japanese aswell recently and hope to learn it a fair bit by the end of the year!

Also i can relate to having a parent who you really...really dont like or even hate.

Well spite wasn't the only reason. I also wanted to watch Japanese wrestling and understand what the commentators are talking about. But regardless of how I decided to learn it, I am glad I did.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Well spite wasn't the only reason. I also wanted to watch Japanese wrestling and understand what the commentators are talking about. But regardless of how I decided to learn it, I am glad I did.
I dont feel quite as bad that my reason for wanting to learn Japanese is so i can watch anime without subtitles lol.

So do you got any tips? anything i, as someone starting to learn japanese, should know?

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I think I have some PDFs of the text book I had in class. I can get you that if you want.

With Japanese, the most important thing is it HAS to become part of your every day. You have to use it or you will lose it.

The trickiest thing with Japanese is that they have three syllabaries. And you do have to learn them. I can send you some things that may help very well. What do you have, an android or iphone?

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Agreed. And they are actually one of our closest and most important allies. They do a lot for us, giving us space and resources. Actually, they are one of the few countries that Mr. Trump has not demanded some sort of payment for our help. That tells us a LOT about how close we are with them.

And come on, anime is awesome. And even my meowcenaries like sushi.

Their way of storytelling is different. They have brought us great animated series, comics (manga), video games, ect.

Ramen and sushi and so many other foods from over there blew up in the US too. If people didn't like any of it, it wouldn't sell so good here.

And they love cats... Any country that loves cats is cool with me.

• Love
Reactions: Jacob Fox

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
I think I have some PDFs of the text book I had in class. I can get you that if you want.

With Japanese, the most important thing is it HAS to become part of your every day. You have to use it or you will lose it.

The trickiest thing with Japanese is that they have three syllabaries. And you do have to learn them. I can send you some things that may help very well. What do you have, an android or iphone?
<_<

>_>

I have an Xbox One lol, not to worry though that shouldnt be a issue! its basicly like a PC, but a few less features, and with all the apps and even online sites i use i should be able to use and work with whatever ya got!