Holy Fuck. Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem confirmed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

monkeystyle

Reaction score
http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_10366.shtml

An immensely newsworthy 2011 for the UFC is going to finish with a massive year-end fight, as former UFC [COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Heavyweight [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Champion [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Brock [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Lesnar[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] will meet Alistair Overeem on December 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The Los Angeles Times first reported the bout, which will be the first for Overeem in the UFC. The sides were in negotiations for some time after Overeem refused his Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Pris semifinal bout with Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, and Overeem signed his contract on Tuesday.

"Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a [COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]dream [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]matchup[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]," Overeem said of the fight. "Brock's a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns.

"I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I'm a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course.

Overeem enters the UFC with championships in Strikeforce and K-1, and is unbeaten over the last four years. Lesnar returns to action for the first time since undergoing surgery in relation to his diverticulitis, and the winner of this bout will be first in line to take on the winner of the Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos [COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]title [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]bout[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] in the UFC's Fox debut.

"This is the fight the fans want," UFC [COLOR=#960000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]President [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Dana [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#960000 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]White[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] said. "Both of these guys are monsters. Can Lesnar take Overeem down?"

"Our thinking when we bought Strikeforce was to give fans the fights they want," said UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta. "Obviously, Alistair's one of the best heavyweights in the world, but he also has that 'it' factor -- the tremendous look, he's huge. It's a star factor."
I'll say it again. Holy fuck.

This is going to be a huge fight assuming Brock can stay healthy to do it.

Personal slant on the whole thing: Brock is dead in the water. Brock is a tremendous athlete and a first class wrestler but he has almost zero submission skills and his stand up while powerful isn`t much to write home about.

Overeem on the other hand is a K-1 champion, so his striking is top notch, which is something Brock has not been able to contend with. Read: he turtles up when he gets hit. He`s got great BJJ and he`s almost as big as Brock so Brock won`t be able to impose his will on will on Overeem through his size.

If Brock loses this fight, I don`t know where he goes. This would only make 2 losses in a row, so I doubt he gets cut. However, I would think that if he gets destroyed that`ll be it for him. His drawing power is hurt and he`s exposed as being tremendously one dimensional.

Hopefully Brock has decided to focus on his deficiencies but given the nature of his training camps (the guy only works out with heavyweights and apparently refuses to be hit during training) I`m not betting on it.

It was a good ride while it lasted, I suppose.

tl;dr: This happens.

dancebrockdance.gif

monkeystyle

Reaction score
On top of that, I`d imagine that this is probably going to be a HW title eliminator.

...god...

Reaction score
Holy fuck, this guy's huge.

Reaction score
Oh I heard. But with the drapes thrown over Fedor, Lesnar will make a couple of lower tier appearances for the right price and he needs a couple of opponents with name value. And Kimbo has always been a whore. There aren't two more marketable, grossly over rated heavyweights anywhere on the planet.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Holy fuck, this guy's huge.

He's about 20lbs lighter than Brock but he's taller and has a bit of a reach advantage over him, I think.

Also, you should have seen him before he started eating mad horse meat. He was a full weight class smaller.

Oh I heard. But with the drapes thrown over Fedor, Lesnar will make a couple of lower tier appearances for the right price and he needs a couple of opponents with name value. And Kimbo has always been a whore. There aren't two more marketable, grossly over rated heavyweights anywhere on the planet.

The problem is who puts on the fight? With Strikeforce out of the question now it'll be hard to put on and make money off of it. The only people I can think of who have the capacity to put on such a show is M-1 due to their partnership with Showtime. They're Fedor's representatives, so that potentially makes it even more lucrative. Especially if they did something crazy like Fedor/Brock live from Moscow or some shit like that. Almost a real life Rocky 4 kind of thing.

...god...

Reaction score
Rofl, yeah I just watched him vs. Liddell. He looks skinny as fuck, though that was 8 years ago. But there's still talks of him and steroids. Should be a good fight nonetheless it's a ways away.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Yeah, on the whole steroids thing, this was his answer:

http://www.cagepotato.com/alistair-overeem-eats-horses-purpose/

It’s not quite as bad as Lyoto Machida admitting to drinking his own urine every single morning, but Alistair Overeem seems to have some unusual dietary issues all his own. In a recent interview translated by Robert K, Overeem said he’s changed everything about his life, from his girlfriend to his coach to his diet. Now he lives mainly on “horse meat, rice, and protein shakes.” And here you thought your dog was the only one on an equine-centric diet.
Turns out that eating horse meat is popular in certain parts of the globe that are not called the United States (the Mongolians even make a horse milk wine, so there). According to the always informative Wikipedia:
“Horse meat contains 20% more protein than high quality beef cuts, 25% less fat, nearly 20% less sodium, double the iron and less cholesterol. When compared to ground beef, horsemeat has 55% more protein, 25% less fat, 30% less cholesterol and 27% less sodium.”
That sounds all right, if you can get past the fact that you’re eating a freaking horse. I guess there’s no real reason, aside from the psychological ones, that it should be any weirder than eating, say, a cow. And look what it’s done for Overeem’s physique!
Wait a minute, you thinking what I’m thinking? All that speculation about how Overeem managed to go from a tall, kind of skinny light heavyweight to a bulky beast of a heavyweight centered on the theory that he was injecting something. But maybe it’s the horses who have been injecting something. You know, in their desire to get huge, floss, and get mares. It all makes sense now.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I can promise you we'll never see Fedor do any kind of business with Dana White, it's just not going to happen. And personally, I hate Fedor for it, because Dana offered him everything he could possibly ask for, but Fedor seems to hold some unspoken grudge against UFC and Dana White.

And personally, I think Brock NEEDS to win this fight, and maybe even the next 2-3 he has. Another loss in these next 3-4 fights could really just lead to him getting the fuck out of UFC and heading back to Pro Wrestling.

...god...

Reaction score
Once you mentioned the fact that he started eating horse meat earlier, I legit tried to google the differences in nutritional value of horse meat to regular beef and other meats, couldn't find shit. Where can I get this stuff!

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I can promise you we'll never see Fedor do any kind of business with Dana White, it's just not going to happen.

Yeah, that boat sailed after Dana offered him what was apparently the most lucrative contract ever and then him dropping three fights in a row. We were speaking in hypotheticals anyway.

And personally, I hate Fedor for it, because Dana offered him everything he could possibly ask for, but Fedor seems to hold some unspoken grudge against UFC and Dana White.

Nah don't blame Fedor, blame his management for refusing to sign unless they could co-promote with the UFC. McDonald's doesn't do business with Burger King. Or the Russian Mob for that matter if you buy any of the rumours.

And personally, I think Brock NEEDS to win this fight, and maybe even the next 2-3 he has. Another loss in these next 3-4 fights could really just lead to him getting the fuck out of UFC and heading back to Pro Wrestling.

I agree with you on this but it's not because he'll be cut. Not after only two losses in a row. Dan Hardy's dropped four in a row and he still has a job. I think if Brock leaves it's because he gets smashed in his next fight.

In regards to the pro wrestling thing though, if he ever did return, it'll be kinda like what the Rock has done. Lesnar is coming back from a major illness and while I'm sure fighting 2-3 times a year is more than stressful, a full time return to wrestling is out of the question.

Once you mentioned the fact that he started eating horse meat earlier, I legit tried to google the differences in nutritional value of horse meat to regular beef and other meats, couldn't find shit. Where can I get this stuff!

I've only seen horse meat in one place. There is this grocery store in Quebec near where I used to live that sold thinly sliced horse meat for fondue. You won't find it in the US though as apparently it's illegal, though I'm not sure if you can order it online or not.

Reaction score
The problem is who puts on the fight? With Strikeforce out of the question now it'll be hard to put on and make money off of it. The only people I can think of who have the capacity to put on such a show is M-1 due to their partnership with Showtime. They're Fedor's representatives, so that potentially makes it even more lucrative. Especially if they did something crazy like Fedor/Brock live from Moscow or some shit like that. Almost a real life Rocky 4 kind of thing.

It's not hard to get a promotion off the ground. There are as many low grade MMA promotions as there are indy wrestling promotions. There will be money marks to be had.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Nah don't blame Fedor, blame his management for refusing to sign unless they could co-promote with the UFC. McDonald's doesn't do business with Burger King. Or the Russian Mob for that matter if you buy any of the rumours.
That's just the last incident when M-1 wanted to co-promote. And that situation, his camp was pushing for it and he was asking his camp to not even take the calls. There were 2 contract offers prior to this several years back though, and the second offer was apparently everything to meet Fedor's requests that the first offer didn't have (like personal scheduling, fights near his home, cash in the range he wanted). The first contract, I blamed Dana, because it was rumored to be a slap in the face to Fedor... but if he came back with the offer Fedor wanted... I can't understand why Fedor would not go for it other than his ties elsewhere. This time, Dana had an opportunity to grab him with the Strikeforce shit and Fedor threatened retirement ASAP if Dana tried to involve himself in Fedor's contracts, fights, negotiations, etc. What in the fuck could Dana have done to have pissed off Fedor that badly? It's not the camp... Fedor himself spoke out and said no before his camp spoke.

Monkeystyle said:
I agree with you on this but it's not because he'll be cut. Not after only two losses in a row. Dan Hardy's dropped four in a row and he still has a job. I think if Brock leaves it's because he gets smashed in his next fight.

In regards to the pro wrestling thing though, if he ever did return, it'll be kinda like what the Rock has done. Lesnar is coming back from a major illness and while I'm sure fighting 2-3 times a year is more than stressful, a full time return to wrestling is out of the question.
I didn't suggest he'd be cut, I meant on his own terms, and his camp. I understand coming off the illness means he's not guaranteed to dominate for a fight or two, but I don't think he can lose one (two to be fair) out of his next 3-4.

And this illness is a freak thing... but apparently the procedure he had for it this time is the one he should have gone with when he first came down with it. I'm not positive where I read it, but I'm sure it's as close to a cure as you get, even though it can apparently reoccur. If the risk is still great enough, you're probably right... but I think if it's like what I remember reading, it's not anything that should really bother him again. I guess we'll see. I hope he's successful in MMA though, and for God's sake I hope he starts training like a fucking champion and not like a guy expecting to go in and fight all offense and no defense.