Herb Dean On Nogueira-Frank Mir Match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Herb Dean is one of the most respected referees in mixed martial arts, having called several of the most important matches in the history of the sport. However, his recent decision that resulted in Frank Mir breaking the arm of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria has come under heavy scrutiny.

Dean, in an interview with Sherdog.com, discussed why he let the match continue as long as he did. Mir picked up his second career victory over "Minotauro" at UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida earlier this month.

"In my mind, I was hoping that he would tap," Dean said. "I was really focused on that arm. But that's how Antonio became who he is - he didn't get there by giving up. I stopped it because I saw the arm break. The tap came after."

While the result was 16 screws and a plate inserted into his arm, the toughness of Nogueira has never been questioned. That is partially the reason Dean let the hold stay on for as long as he did.

"I don't stop it when I believe it's locked on or even if I believe the guy's in jeopardy because I don't know what that person can take," Dean said. "I don't know what their limits are, but if I see an injury that is too dangerous for the fight to continue, that's when I'm going to stop the fight."

Despite knowing what had just happened, Dean said Nogueira was very calm after the match, adding, "He's an exceptional person. Even during that, coordinating with the physicians and him getting out of there, at some point he started taking an active role. 'Ok, Herb, I want you to help me up.' He was pretty calm through it."

Nogueira is looking at several months of rehab, with his doctor saying he could be back to fighting in the summer of 2012.

In my opinion Herb Dean is one of the better refs in MMA, he made the right call in this case though. It's not like he knew that Nog's arm was going to break.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Herb made the perfect call there. You do not call a fight cause it looks like the guy is in danger after being caught in a submission. You call it when something happens like a break, or the guy is unconscious, or they tap. Cause if the ref were to make a call like that... it could be disastrous as well as a slippery slope to fall on using "judgment" calls for this sort of thing. Like in the GSP/Hardy fight... GSP had Hardy in a real tight kimura. But GSP let it go after hardy didn't tap. If the ref called the fight cause of that... there would have been a lot of scrutiny. Hughes had gracie trapped in an armbar... the ref would have called that fight then... lots of scrutiny.

Dean made the right call. respect for Dean.