Grim's Top 10's

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
6359938359335732161481727208_video-games.jpg

Everybody knows I love video games. I don't think it's particularly much of a secret. So might as well make a few contributions to the site and introduce my list of "Top 10's". Here, we'll talk about my favorite games, characters, moments, enemies, etc. from various franchises and series. Without further ado, let us venture forth!
Archive:

Top 10 Favorite Games of the 2010's

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Grim's Top 10 Favorite Games of 2010's

Well, since it's the middle of 2020, I figured it would be a good time to discuss what, in my opinion, are my favorite 10 video games of the 2010's. Some of them are massive AAA games that are still played today, and some are the niche indy titles I felt intrigued me and excited me the most of any games thus far. This is all entirely opinion based so bear with me as you may disagree with a few of them. Without further ado, let us get down to it.

10. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (2010)
image_cover.jpg

Being a massive StarCraft fan, I was excited as hell when I finally got the chance to play StarCraft II. While I don't think it's necessarily as good the original StarCraft: Brood War, it is a welcome addition and definitely just as addicting. I'm also happy with how much it expanded upon the lore of the series. A definite hit from the 2010's and a great game for anyone to play.

9. Stardew Valley (2016)
stardew-valley-800x500-new-4.jpg

Perhaps the best iteration of the "Harvest Moon"-esque genre seen in a long time, 2016's Stardew Valley was mostly done by one man and the 16-bit style of the game brings back a sense of nostalgia quite a few games really fail to execute well. As the game has gotten older it has gotten a few updates here and there, and I'd say the game is a ton of fun to play with friends.

8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015)
capsule_616x353.jpg

Despite being the last hurrah for Kojima Productions and the legend himself Hideo Kojima, Metal Gear Solid V was a well made near masterpiece of a game that, unfortunately, falls apart close to the end for a myriad of reasons. The sneaking mechanics were much improved from the absolute trainwreck that was Metal Gear Solid 4 and the game reworked the base-building structure of gameplay from its immediate predecessor Peace Walker into something more tolerable. A good place to have finally put the whole Metal Gear timeline to an end.

7. Diablo III (2012)
image_cover.jpg

Much the same with StarCraft, I was also a massive Diablo fan. When Diablo III came out, all I ever heard about it was disappointment from fans who were expecting an experience quite similar to the seminal Diablo II. Nowadays, Diablo III has managed to garner it's own niche culture and fanbase who have accepted that Diablo III is a much different game in style than its own predecessors. To me, Diablo III is an ultimate party game when you have a group of friends and you just want to kill as many things as possible.

6. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
apps.35932.71534445913389778.3217f3df-0d90-489b-8f2f-90d018aded6a.f2d67aa4-703b-43dd-87ad-3b36ea58ea0c

With all the scuttlebutt brought on by its own heavily popular and highly regarded sequel, the original Red Dead Redemption stands as one of my favorites of the 2010's Rockstar catalogue. Admittedly, the Wild West has always had more of an appeal to me than say, modern *Insert City Name Here*. Red Dead Redemption's story is also a well-remembered gem with plenty of twists and turns, and the sheer space of free-roaming desert doing hunting, killing, and tying women to railroad tracks was mind-boggling for its day. Plenty of folks may love the sequel more, but I'll always have a soft spot for the first game.

5. Fire Emblem: Awakening (2013)
Fire-Emblem-Awakening.jpg

Behind Path of Radiance (for its story) and Radiant Dawn (for its interesting characters) Fire Emblem: Awakening might be my favorite of the series. Awakening is perhaps the first truly casual Fire Emblem game that allowed perma-death to be turned off in favor of less stressful gameplay. While for some it's a betrayal of what Fire Emblem is about, I think it was absolutely the right move to make if Nintendo was ever going to bring a new audience to the series. It also allowed travel throughout the map, sidequests, and shopping at your own convenience, in my opinion welcome additions to the series.

4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
image_cover.jpg

Perhaps the seminal Western RPG of the 2010's, Skyrim was heavily hyped upon its first reveal, and as history has shown us, it became one of the best-selling games of the era, garnering past 20 Million copies sold by November 2016. It was considered one of the best looking and lore-filled games of all time and many fans consider it perhaps the peak of The Elder Scrolls as a franchise. For me, many an hour was spent on Skyrim wandering, completing side quests, and fighting dragons. While it may not be my favorite of the franchise (Oblivion, for some reason), Skyrim has been a good part of my life for the last nine years.

3. Doki Doki! Literature Club (2017)
doki_doki_literature_club_1_million_downloads.jpg

I've reviewed the game to death and admittedly don't feel inclined to chew your ears off regarding the amazing and subtly subversive nature of Doki Doki! Literature Club as a game. However Doki Doki!, like many sleeper indy hits, started to gain steam through word of mouth, which is where I had heard about the game, and it eventually exploded into a near cult phenomenon in the gaming community. Praised for it's great writing, characters, and for the subjectively great horror, Doki Doki! went on to have over 1 million downloads within its first few months of release. An excellent deconstruction of the Visual Novel harem genre, it played with expectations of what was going to happen, and turned it on its head in the most horrifying of ways.

2. Minecraft (2011)
yAtZnNL-9Eb5VYSsCaOC7KAsOVIJcY8mpKa0MoF-0HCL6b0OrFcBizURHywpuip-D6Y

Our number 2 spot is rounded off with the best selling video game of all time, Minecraft. I remember hearing about the game in 2010 when the beta was just coming along. Minecraft had an odd appeal to me, a kid with ADHD and hyper-attentiveness to building and tinkering with things. I don't think anyone ever really realized it was going to be as big as it was, but I'm kinda glad it became big. Playing the game with friends and family was a good experience and made for many memorable nights of Crafting. There might be some who staunchly turn their nose up at such a game that gave the player such free range to do whatever they like, but I think that's exactly why a game like Minecraft has succeeded so well.

1. Crusader Kings II (2012)
61f5yYpF9gL._SS500_.jpg

If my 1,432 hours (and rising) spent played the game have anything to say about it, Crusader Kings II was easily my favorite game of the entire decade of the 2010's. I love history, and a game like Crusader Kings II, with it's game built in one of the most interesting times in human history (the medieval period), instantly appealed to me when I first heard about it in 2017. Three years later and it still stands as one of my most played and one of my go-to games. I've rebuilt Rome, conquered holy lands, and seduced the pope (for the memes) many a time. Its comedy and ability to let the player roleplay their character in unique ways is one of the highlights of CK2; aside from all the insane wackiness that comes with it.

And those were my Top 10 favorite video games. Some you may agree with, some you may not agree with, others you may have never even heard of. With that said, thank you for reading, and give me your thoughts down below. Until the next Top 10 (coming 2025... or something), have a good one!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Before I comment I want you to guess how many of these I've actually played (not counting random stuff at a friends house which spoiler alert is all I ever actually did with Skyrim)

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Before I comment I want you to guess how many of these I've actually played (not counting random stuff at a friends house which spoiler alert is all I ever actually did with Skyrim)

Big fat nothingburger probably. :heston

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Minecraft but no Rocket League?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
You're a sports fan, it is your scene.

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Out of those games, I've only played Doki Doki and Starcraft II. Guess which one I liked better lol.

It was Doki Doki lol. I didn't like Starcraft II that much - it was fun, but nowhere near as good as the original and Brood War expansion. It just didn't have the same feel as the original, which I know will happen with majorly updated graphics and play style, but I'll just stick to the original.

As for Doki Doki, that game scared the shit outta me :lmao When I downloaded it, I knew it was a horror game but I had no idea how the horror played out, so when it did, I was so surprised LOL. Great game, and such an interesting way to do horror.

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Grim's Top 10 Resident Evil Games

For those of you who don't know, Resident Evil is one of my favorite franchises of all time. There's been approximately 26 games (soon to be 27) in 24 years of existence; there have been some absolute stellar games, and some absolute stinkers (looking at you Umbrella Corps and Operation Raccoon City). So without further ado, allow me to list down the top 10 Resident Evil games (in my opinion at least) as of July 2020.

10. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica (2000)
resident-evil-code-veronica-x-ps4-spain-cover.jpg

Kicking off our list is the original sequel to Resident Evil 2, and a game originally made for the SEGA Dreamcast: Resident Evil - Code: Veronica. Code: Veronica was an oddball choice of a game, that looked like it was experimenting with quite a few mechanics (Fully 3D environments, duel-wield weapons, etc.). Unfortunately, the developers decided, or opted, not to take any of what Resident Evil 3's mechanics could have taught them and the game falls flat in several areas. Still, though, it's a very fun Resident Evil game despite its difficulty & problems and is easily a top 10 game within the franchise.

9. Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (2006)

610WSVVMYPL._AC_.jpg

Considered the best version of the original Resident Evil from 1996, this Nintendo DS port of the game included several quality of life features that turned this from an oddity to the de facto version of Resident Evil to play. The knife is mapped to the L-button permanently (and no longer in your inventory), Resident Evil 4's tactical reload feature is included, the ability to skip cutscenes and door transitions was added as well, a whole new way to play the game in Rebirth Mode, and even a mini-game and multiplayer feature was placed on top of all that. Deadly Silence is arguably too good for its own good since it apparently didn't sell well at the time thanks in part to many traditionalists believing that Resident Evil: Director's Cut to be the superior version. I'd still argue it's one of the best Resident Evil games out there.

8. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (2015)

image_cover.jpg

Revelations 2 brought back one of the most beloved characters in the Resident Evil series, Barry Burton, and turned him into one of the main protagonists, instead of the sidekick or cameo role he was accustomed to. It also introduced Moira Burton into the series. The co-operative 2-player game allowed for players to work together to uncover Umbrella's long lost mysteries and gave Barry Burton a much more sympathetic character and personality than ever before, thanks to being partnered with young lass Natalia Korda.

7. Resident Evil 0 (2002)

capsule_616x353.jpg

Resident Evil 0 is arguably the last traditional Resident Evil title in the series; and it was one of the more interesting titles in the franchise due to the mechanics it played with, such as the duel-controlled characters, no item-boxes, and item sharing. It also gave Rebecca Chambers her own backstory to what she was doing in the prelude to Resident Evil 1; visually, it is also one of the most fantastic looking in the series even though it came out 18 years ago.

6. Resident Evil 4 (2005)
image_cover.jpg

Admittedly, Resident Evil 4 is one of my least favorite games in the series, I believe everything about it just doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game despite having Leon Kennedy. It is still a very good game functionally and it comes across as a cheesy action adventure B-Movie starring Leon Kennedy as this one-liner spitting, roundhouse kicking bad ass of a character. It killed the Survival Horror genre after it came out and only now has it begun to see a semi-revival thanks in part to the remakes and remasters within the series. For those that have Resident Evil 4 as their favorite, this may feel like plain highway robbery, but I believe that 4 still being tops despite my disdain for it shows how good the game actually is fundamentally; that and the merchant is the best character in the game, don't @ me.

5. Resident Evil 2 (2019)

2c0e795732e038e73884734649d51134f96a1c53.jpg

The 2019 remake of Resident Evil 2 brought the series back to its roots and back to Raccoon City in a big way. Redefining the way the new games would play, it became one of the most highly touted games in the series. With massively improved graphics, stolen ideas from Resident Evil 3 (1999), and zombies being reworked, RE2make holds up will from the gameplay standpoint; the story was also somewhat improved if not ever slightly. However, there are a few parts of the game that feel as though the game loses a step (namely the sewer areas).

4. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard (2017)

6e0fa8a542605271d248d3866b4a3e07e3a3e157.jpg

One of the most anticipated Resident Evil games of all time, Resident Evil VII became one of the biggest hits Capcom had anticipated (becoming the 4th best-selling RE game in the US behind 5, 4, and OG 2) and brought back the Survival Horror genre after Resident Evil Remastered's release showed that there was fan interest in a classic Resident Evil type game. The VR/First Person perspective added a new level of interactivity and horror; not to mention the constant threat of the big bad roaming the halls, turning Resident Evil VII less like a traditional game in the series and very much akin to Clock Tower in scope.

3. Resident Evil 3 (1999)

Resident-Evil-3-Nemesis-PAL-PSX-FRONT.jpg

Resident Evil 3 was originally expected to be nothing more than a side game, and as history has actually shown us, it's perhaps the most underrated of the entire Resident Evil catalogue. Bringing back Jill Valentine into the fold, the fight to escape Raccoon City gave us several incredible gameplay mechanics that only now are starting to see deserved praise. The quick dodge feature, while in execution wasn't implemented well, in theory, the idea of a way to escape an attack with minimal to no damage was borrowed from and given to the various remakes down the line. The gun powder types were also way ahead of their time and borrowed heavily down the line. Finally, the looming territorial force that is Nemesis is a fan favorite for most Resident Evil fans, and his mechanics have now been since replicated heavily in games such as Resident Evil 7, RE2make, and of course the recent R3make (additionally, Resident Evil Remake borrowed this idea with zombies breaking through rooms and "One Dangerous Zombie" mode). Resident Evil 3 is perhaps the most influential game in the series, despite its misgivings and singular, linear campaign. It also gave us Mercenaries Mode; instant 10/10 right there.

2. Resident Evil 2 (1998)

re2.png

There is a lot that can be said to what Resident Evil 2 did for the series as a whole. It not only expanded the lore, but gave us two of the most enduring characters of the series: Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield. The A and B campaigns added twice the playability of the first one and gave us a clearer picture of the events of the game with a fresh perspective. The story is also considered one of the heavy favorites in the franchise. Not only that, while Resident Evil 1 sold well and is well remembered, Resident Evil 2 is considered more iconic than the original for its more action oriented horror aesthetic.

1. Resident Evil (2002)
t620x300-c8c017f490012d4ce5b6e2a1dee5ce20.jpg

Finally topping our list, with little to no surprise whatsoever, is the 2002 remake for the original Resident Evil. I've always said that I feel Resident Evil was the last (and possibly only) time that a game in the series felt classy and indicative of the genre for the time. It was the swan-song of a lot of classic survival horror tropes done well before Resident Evil 4 murdered them wholesale. Some of the great inclusions are Crimson Heads, an expanded map, the entirety of Lisa Trevor's backstory, and expanded modes for players who mastered the base game already. Crimson Heads are likely REmake's most enduring legacy of pants-shitting terror caused by the player's own doing.

So there you have it folks, my list for the top 10 Resident Evil games (for 2020 at least). I'll see you on the next Top 10.

Daddy Deville

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Ranking a hentai game over RDR and Skyrim :TI: I recently played 4 and the mechanics dont hold up that well.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
4 was the only Resident Evil game I played a decent amount of time on since my neighbors had it for the Gamecube, I fucked with it a lot.

I have the remake of the first one on PSPlus bc it was free for a month but I never downloaded and actually played it :heston

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
I'm actually in the camp that thinks Resident Evil 4 is probably in the Top 3 RE games. Hell, at one point I might have said it was my favourite actually. I do believe it's aged better than most of them, and was one of the most influential games of it's time. I also think the atmosphere of that game is top notch, the Village is a fantastic setting and it has one of the best openings in terms of building tension and setting the scene. The only annoying part of that game is Ashley, because she's a really frustrating companion (if you can call it that) that you constantly have to be babysitting.

Your general Top 10 is interesting, I haven't played majority of those games, actually only Red Dead Redemption and Metal Gear Solid V. I have briefly played Minecraft, but it didn't really grab me. I thought MGS V was pretty weak when compared to the other entires, but the gameplay was really solid. I'd have to really think about my Top 10 but likely games like Vice City, Super Mario 64, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3 would be in there.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
hkF7bXaIxMDG2fkAhsi0_S8snJV2tdpJC4XhRVH8OaHfwpmtw2CllcjDZGcOH-QLZh1sjL72H1qri496dbBcAR-L72jrXwzF4nwU307XZ_go8BQT1lWlJWVTlR0ACJeNdaZU96cz

(Nintendo Entertainment System™)

Top 10 Favorite NES™ Games

For those that don’t know, I love video games. Always have, and always will. Today, I’ll be highlighting some of my favorite video games from the classic Nintendo Entertainment System™. The NES™ as it is nicknamed, was Nintendo's first video game console released in North America on October 18th, 1985, and is arguably considered one of the most important (and most popular) consoles of all time. Well over 715 video games were released for the NES™. I will be selecting my 10 favorites of the group and explaining why in this list. So without further ado, let us begin.

The Legend of Zelda
(Nintendo, 1987)

T-N72d8fJnC0x_yAFxyO2qolG2EEaOOV-6OiKyL8HVGC1tlQpViPGFVQLrcZkOYbAnfTGS-hVEMHZBEuVpj7tLm0dseFkmkMFT36wyDDZagdCSQzQ8oKaonmHRXrLmGBPlEQPnPP

Kicking off the list is the original that started a major franchise. This is of course the “legendary” (pun intended) adventure game from Nintendo. It’s still a great game even in 2020, and has aged remarkably well all things considered. Shigeru Miyamoto had said when he was designing the game, that it was based on his childhood spent exploring nearby caves. You can feel that sense of wonder from the word go. It’s definitely worth a run or two if one is interested.

Mother / EarthBound: Beginnings
(Nintendo, 1989 / 2015)

4qysU8T184RON33qhAXh2ZW7ji5k--aFbGQNZDDI6u_tHLYk1A_8eDYHV9HUho1zgJHQGV6pSHuc04O7ENBogjAhH57iqgPq6F7VAr3ua2dXVz5_qm-GWXanv4CGFgk4uBYidE1b

“EarthBound: Beginnings” is one of the greatest missed opportunities in all of gaming. Born under the mind of Shigesato Itoi, this classic Nintendo Famicom™ game was set to be released to English audiences in 1990; it never came out however. Pressure from up top and the general lackadaisical Western sales of other role-playing games of the time (“Final Fantasy” and “Dragon Warrior” in particular) left Nintendo to pull the rug out from this release. Despite it, the cult success of its sequel “EarthBound” (which was a major financial and critical flop on its release, and only in the last 20 years has it become regarded as one of the greatest games ever made), left the series alive. In 2015, Nintendo and Shigesato Itoi announced the “official” North American release of “EarthBound: Beginnings” to the masses. I say this because despite not aging well, this game still holds a special place in my heart. The music is gorgeous in its simplicity and tone, the story is one nearly unrivaled, and it set the standard for what was to come with its sequel. There is a lot to talk about regarding “EarthBound: Beginnings” and one day when I share my video game reviews, perhaps we’ll get into why.

Uninvited
(Kemco, 1991)

5CAwoiK_Jcx8o5ygChycCBNvXxYqHrZLwendlyN7vkv_Xy2uMILycYK7xdSk6WJRWO8EHumijgtz8OV22vYvLUAOm0VYKn_DHdxXMhViVk7JXbnXOnaJDTFvxgHJQE_mMfng3-l5

At #8 is another “horror” title, this time a point-and-click adventure game! “Uninvited” was the third of the MacVenture games ported to the NES™ and might be one of the more underrated games on the system. It blends a good mix of humor and horror, with some horrific (for the time) imagery. That scene with the Scarlet O’Hara is iconic, to say the least.

Maniac Mansion
(LucasArts, 1990)

RLL4CMNU1UXTTnSv9-n8mG3idu_A4bT2bmw5IIZ1uzUlrHc-DQV65ePnwR3p87ikJqrFqg_hYJDRAu5lHJoWI6ThM2qokvYU_RkEVcRQ4x5qfkgPVm3FQLXYerODjXuSISlmkP6j

Good old “Maniac Mansion”. This port of the 1987 LucasArts classic is fondly remembered for being a slightly watered down and censored recreation of the original game; but it is still a good game to play through. The basic premise is that a meteor has taken control of the Edison family and now they have kidnapped Sandy Patz; it is now up to Dave and his friends to save the day before it is too late. With a simple premise like that you’d imagine not much mileage, eh? You’d be wrong. “Maniac Mansion” is perhaps the crowning jewel of point-and-click adventure games, and heavily influenced future games such as “Loom”, “Secret of Monkey Island”, and its very own sequel “Day of the Tentacle”.

Gargoyle’s Quest II: The Demon Darkness
(Capcom, 1992)

CDDXRHVgcl9oVdP5OCpSgyBG33lewzBaZd9Wm4wHfvHuknPFb1C6za4c34ORkR-HCsDvHhWOU8Q-abvgNmNgCTmLuTS1G4teafkVu57-Xh9vjo78A87b6L6HzF1fc7-aDtVjGsSW

"Gargoyle’s Quest II" came out late in the NES™’s lifespan, but boy did it deliver the goods. Not only is it a stellar action-platformer adventure game, it’s probably one of the best games on the entire system. While Capcom was heavily focused on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ and their arcade games, the company still managed to release this game for the 8-bit masses. It is such a good game that should not be missing from anyone’s library.

Super Mario Bros. 3
(Nintendo, 1990)

SiLBL8auliVBebmF7qVhkjp3FdZh9oAvxxCUhVg2TG7erHEhAyvqEs-abzEt8k-7YbBgkD9pufTKjDHBQ50XOBnqTZ4ovJQpQW-8HJvfHJtiBvEOk46jsQV2f8JP7ix_nBI9n14j

Mamma mia! It’s-a him, Mario™! The trilogy of NES™ classics finished off with arguably its best and most polished game. While the original “Super Mario Bros.” is classic and defined a generation of gamers, “SMB 3” proved that games were here to stay forever. More worlds, more levels, more enemies, and more bosses galore. It’s gonna be a tricky one for Mario™ and Luigi™! There’s not much else I can really say about the game; not for lack of trying, but because it’s “Super Mario Bros. 3”. It’s one of the greatest games of all time.

Shadowgate
(Kemco, 1989)

kizvNGL-29WPgfyd52Jdui6qRs_G5TiEJ8M6pt-Fpjl3YLgAPWCbfz1X9K-e5kintSPyK8BkF5qbQveeCko3ieQsAdEZSpL8tfC2cEYELy7S9j-4r-up0BrGadEpOnQqyliNV31F

Coming in at #4 is the second of the MacVenture games ported to the NES™: “Shadowgate”. This point-and-click adventure game oozes atmosphere and charm. The story is simple, you’re a knight sent by the King and Wizard Lakmir to stop the evil Warlock Lord from raising the Behemoth and ending the world. What the game does however is subvert expectations by bringing in riddles, tricks, and traps for the player to escape from. It’s a wonderful game that I think is deserving of being in anyone's library.

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!!
(Nintendo, 1987)

5gvQBx5Pdl-Xyt9eqVl6zPFUaLzKNHD9IfO-bnXMRqRWcmqBjMoAHnfN-gx2Gr6pG1ZeFOs6tD393h3Wa7m5qIUetu4mez9YQUH--UD3pyP-SIHdmmDDjJjPwoQsRYxQ6NrXk19G

#3, #3, what have we? Of course, the powerful punch of Mike Tyson and his cronies in “Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!!”. The game is fondly remembered for its rich cast of characters and its fabulous gameplay style, which acts as a half rhythm game, and half action game. The entire game puts you in the shoes of Little Mac™, who is facing off against foes from the weak Glass Joe™ all the way to mighty Tyson himself. A reminder that Mike Tyson is straight up unfair and he sucks to fight, every time.

CastleVania III: Dracula’s Curse
(Konami, 1989/1990)

aTmKQi144SKxxIICJ37m_4p_fVKI8q7jCIwilvoVFR3BZ99mgT4W5jpRc5oK809tcQBeaLPeXTQY7iZ3KeKHgEnvQTlEMD9jAuuCk9DPW-yL35Qo8e7OqZVgin9K-g1YP1DMY4MZ

Rounding out #2 is the third entry in the beloved “CastleVania” franchise. This game in the series is in my opinion the best of the original trilogy of games and has some of the best level design and atmosphere throughout. I can be heard constantly jamming out to the soundtrack from time to time. If I were to prefer a version of this game to recommend to everyone, I would personally choose the 1989 Japanese version of the game, “Akumajou Densetsu”. It’s generally easier, has much more refined music, and has better gameplay mechanics.

Sweet Home
(Capcom, 1989)

38_q1LvpCgNrUyh99j6GH1pVwJOndyWIRnXdKqxZcQD09jDxasI67QQawK5sXqykcHDULo216G0oKQuwAqL0-nqfWygrLKyZIpqTuBFe-kLiauatvvI-kMtvn8Tbe6tyNddow9Ds

My absolute favorite NES™ game technically never came out on the system. It was a Japanese exclusive for the Nintendo Famicom™, and was never released outside of Japan for explicitly good reasons. For one, it was a horror game unlike anything ever seen before. “Sweet Home” is a survival horror role-playing game based off of the movie of the same name. It is considered revolutionary for its theme and was the basis for Capcom’s best-selling series “Resident Evil”. The game places five members of a documentary crew and locks them in a haunted mansion, where they must find a way to escape while putting the spirits of the damned to rest. The game itself carries an extremely dark tone and has some very horrific imagery for an 8-bit game.

So that concludes my “Top 10 Favorite NES™ Games”! Some time in the near future I’ll be doing something like a “Top 10 SNES™ Games”, but for now, enjoy!