Great Debate Match 1:Soulpower vs Wrestling Station

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
The Rules are simple....Ill post a topic...the first person to respond will get to choose what side of the Topic they want to debate..If you reply first and you dont want to go first...just say so and your opponent will go first but he will also get to choose what side of the Debate he wants to defend....YOu will each get an openning statement,a reply,and a conclusion....3 posts each...after this is over the IWF members will get to vote on whos debate was better....any questions just ask....Our First topic for WS and Soulpower is...

Who is the overall better superstar in in ECW:CM Punk or Elijiah Burke??

Soulpower

CM Punk, easily.

Having wrestled in various Indy promotions prior to signing with WWE, Punk already has a built-in fanbase and is already more recognizable than Burke. Without really talking all that much he's happened to get the casual fans on his side and gets the biggest reaction out of anyone on the ECW roster.

Don't get me wrong, Burke's money on the mic, but when it comes down to wrestling ability, Punk has the advantage. I will say that Burke has improved a lot since his start on Smackdown.

Short and to the point, I guess >_>

Wrestling Station

Good speach Mr \__o___/

So its Punk vs Burke? ok..

let me start with Burke first,
Burke as we all know was un-recognized name to say the least. Starting as a manager to Sylvester Terkey when they both joined Smackdown last year. He was acting as the "Mic Man" and he is very good in that. Having mic skills and some how kinda heel features in his attitude. This leads to one thing, having mic skills and attitude of his will only reveal that he is good as "Heel". If they gave him a face run, imo he wont have that aggility and response from the crowde.

So its kinda a wooden stick in the throat. Losing the heel status will result in losing WWE contract imo.

Talking about Punk,

Punk as we all know this before, that he was so successful in the indy promotions. He had good feuds there and his last feuds with Samoa Joe were that good to give him the chance of his life to sign for WWE.

Punk has the following:
1- Pure martial art skills
2- Strong attendance
3- Strong as face

Now to compare the two:

Punk vs Burke

In wrestling skills= Punk better
In mic skills= Burke better
In face status= punk
in heel status= Burke
in the ability to drag fans and merchandise= Punk (due to him being strong face)

now what they both equal at?

Punk and Burke, both have the quickness, speed, counter-attacks and and both have the classical "No gimmick" appearance.

As an overall view, I would say that Punk would have a more successful career than Burke.

And for your question, to specify it to "ECW" ? would also be Punk. As i mentioned above, Punk has the ability to drag fans, that is called the "it" factor. In WWE, they do care about being able to drag fan more than other things due to business issues and the need to get as much profit as possible as wrestling these days became a business company than just being a sports company.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
WS Read the rules carefully....since you were late to the plate you HAVE TO defend only Burke...sorry but thats the rules

Soulpower

Well, WS...

I wouldn't say that Punk has a No Gimmick appearance. Punk's tatoos cleary show what his gimmick is. He's straight edge. Although you did mention something I forgot, merchandise sales. Punk's shirts have been selling a lot since they've been released and more often that not that actually contributes to the success a wrestler might attain. As far as I know, there's no Burke merchandise available. That's another thing, Punk is the more marketable superstar of the two. With Punk you have a guy who's drug free and alcohol free which makes him more appealing to the causal fans or to the people who believe that all wrestlers are using steroids or any other type of drugs.

Wrestling Station

damn ok sorry, let me defend Burke then.. :shifty: so forget about my other post..

Eventhough there are alot of people disliking Burke as a wrestler. Let me tell you this.. Do you remember when Mr Mc Mahon himself stood in the middle of the ECW ring and started acknowledging Burke as being the future star of ECW?? WWE's chairman himself did that which means that Burke is the future of that brand. Being so called an extreme brand, then the style of Burke should be the most suitable to fit ECW as the chairman is pushing Burke with that statement.

Also, let me state this... how many black wrestlers are there in ECW?? So that will lead to say that he is unique in this thing too. All black fans will support Burke for this.

Not only coz he is black to make him unique.. He has mic skills that for WWE is the road to success. "Remember the Rock, Austin, Cena, and Kennedy" as an example, all had very good mic skills and thus got alot of support from the WWE and fans too.

Burke has quickness and has pure yellow smile that supports his heel run alot.

Now to talk about Punk, well, Punk lacks mic skills, lacks the fact that he is skinny which is what WWE dont want (Mr McMahon loves big guys). So he will end up like Jeff Hardy, never ME'ing any PPV.

Soulpower

Cor Von, Boogeyman, Big Daddy V... They're all black. And although young Elijah was appointed the future of ECW by Vinny Mac himself, he really hasn't done anything to merit that title. In fact look at this:

-January 23rd 2007: Punk defeats Burke
-May 20th 2007: Punk defeats Burke
-June 3rd 2007: One Night Stand: Punk, Sandman and Dreamer defeat Burke, Striker and Cor Von
-June 26th 2007: 2 of 3 Falls Match: Punk defeats Burke
-July 17th 2007: Punk defeats Burke
-July 31st 2007: Punk pins Burke in a three-way match

For someone who was appointed the "Future" of ECW, he sure has had a tough time against Punk.

Wrestling Station

well, let me stress a point out a little here..

Life tought us that if you want to reach the summit, you need to work hard to get to it.

You may lose alot at the beginning, but eventually you will end up with the goal you dreamed of having sooner or later.

From that being said, I see that Burke is working his ass off right now, trying to gain more experience, appearance and time for him to hit the jackbot soon.

I know sometimes people say that this is just a word thrown there, but once you think about the main point of it you will understand that losing is just the first step for getting stronger to learn from your mistakes and win later.

So you say that Punk won and Burke lost in the one on one matches? but let me tell you that its not who laughs first, its who laughs at the end.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Ws has the choice of either making another post or ending with what hes got..SP has made his max number of posts

Wrestling Station

ok, i will add one more thing,

SP said that there are other black wrestlers in the ECW lockeroom. Well if i had to compare them with Burke, then we will end up with Burke being the best of all of them if we are talking about skills in wrestling and in microphone too.

Now to Punk, Punk won nothing in the WWE except being eliminated too early in the elimination chamber in December to Dismember. That really made me think that Punk is still too green to even win the title anytime soon.

Punk didnt win any title in ECW, so his matches winning Burke are just useless. Anyone can win any match anytime if its not a title match, then its a useless match. He wont gain any extra cash from winning a match like that.

Anyway, Burke worked his ass off harder than Punk as Punk was already known in ROH before joining WWE. Whereas Burke had to start from ground zero to establish his name in the business, which i see is a big credit to be given to Mr Burke.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Ok Voting opens for this round....Vote for who debated better not who you agree with or like more......1st to 5 wins.

Truth

Reaction score
I think SP has made the better argument. Although Punk was the easier choice he backed it up with all them facts.