Gilbert Melendez Thinking About Eventual Jump to Welterweight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
It would appear that Gilbert Melendez will be making the move to the UFC once he defends his Strikeforce lightweight championship against Jorge Masvidal. While there are plenty of intriguing fights for Melendez at 155, Gilbert is thinking about a big move down the road. That being an eventual long term goal of going up to Welterweight.

From the video:

"If things go well here, then I might go to 170 you know. Why not?

"I can fight at 170 pounds and I know I can beat some guys out there, but there are definitely plenty of challenges at 155 right now. But you know why not have goals in the long term to be one of the best in the world and go to three weight classes. Why not?

"I'm not trying to be arrogant; it's just that it's a dream. I'm allowed to dream a little bit and I'm allowed to work for it. So, that's what I mean by that."