GFW Goes Back to Being Impact

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
So apparently, Anthem got mad at Jeff Jarrett for underperforming in a match for Real Canadian Wrestling and then leaving town, forcing RCW to announce he wouldn't show up on their show the following day.

So what does Anthem do? They terminate their relationship with him. Not only that, but apparently it was incorrect that Anthem owned GFW. By terminating their relationship with Jarrett, they also can no longer refer to themselves as Global Force Wrestling.

So it looks like anyone who has previously pointed out the stupidity of Anthem was correct. While Jarrett himself may not be a guy who brings in wrestling fans simply based upon him being a wrestler, he does maintain good business relationships with several other major promotions and TV channels. But beyond that, this becomes the THIRD major name change for Impact in the past year alone... first it was TNA... then it was Impact Wrestling... then it was GFW and now it's back to Impact. For a company that is trying to rebuild its standing and to not be seen as a mismanaged fountain of instability, this really looks bad. It makes the company look like it cannot commit to a specific vision and keeps jumping all over the place.

Furthermore, TNA was at its high point back when Jarrett was VP before Hogan and Bischoff came in and messed it up. I've talked to several people who I knew who stopped watching it during the Hogan era and have only began to give it another chance due to Jarrett being back in charge of the creative aspect. I got over my hatred of it and was about to purchase Bound For Glory for the second year straight. Won't be doing that now. I'll watch it, but find a way to watch it for free.''

I know some people will think this isn't a big deal because they like to insult Jarrett as much as possible, but it's not just about Jarrett. There are people who don't like him as a wrestler who like him as a business man. And there are people like me who are huge fans of him too. However, the Jarrett thing is not as bad as the fact that Anthem keeps trying to reinvent the company. You can't do this over and over again in a short time. It shows that you have no idea what you're doing. Why should I or anyone else become invested in a product that can't stick with a particular vision? Why should anyone not expect them to change their name again in six months and change just about everything their doing.

If they truthfully only got rid of Jarrett because he no showed an event at an independent wrestling promotion, Anthem needs to get out of the wrestling business. They obviously have no idea what they are doing.

Impact Wrestling Terminates Business Relationship With Jeff Jarrett And GFW - WrestlingInc.com

More On Jeff Jarrett Incident With Independent Promotion Over The Weekend - WrestlingInc.com

Reactions: Doxo

Impactsona

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Favorite Sports Team
G4TDPQp
Jeff has had major issues for a long time now and the word going around was that he has been on thin ice with Anthem since he promised them his tv deals he had for GFW would expand Impact but GFW only had one and that even fell tough. Plus he showed up to triplemaina in the almost same shape as he did last weekend
Now JJ needs to get help. I hope Impact's move to Canada helps them, but Anthem removing JJ a few weeks back was a sign that they were not happy with him then maybe this was a "one more and you're outa here" deals
The failure that was the GFW rebranding may have also soured Anthem on Jeff. I honestly think JJ should just take a break from wrestling the last 10 years ever since he lost his wife he's been going downhill. Maybe this could be the kick in the ass he needs.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Jeff has had major issues for a long time now and the word going around was that he has been on thin ice with Anthem since he promised them his tv deals he had for GFW would expand Impact but GFW only had one and that even fell tough. Plus he showed up to triplemaina in the almost same shape as he did last weekend
Now JJ needs to get help. I hope Impact's move to Canada helps them, but Anthem removing JJ a few weeks back was a sign that they were not happy with him then maybe this was a "one more and you're outa here" deals
The failure that was the GFW rebranding may have also soured Anthem on Jeff. I honestly think JJ should just take a break from wrestling the last 10 years ever since he lost his wife he's been going downhill. Maybe this could be the kick in the ass he needs.

Interesting. Can you provide some source information for him being on thin ice, because I follow Jarrett pretty closely and that's news to me. Anthem buys a new company and then renames it after Jarrett's failed company a few months later doesn't make it seem like he's on thin ice with them. In fact, all the evidence I've seen said this was done to reward him for helping them get on Spike in the UK. If that deal did fall apart, it was hardly on him to maintain it once they got it there.

So, yeah, I'm not buying any of that without evidence. And actual hard evidence, not a rumor

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
And honestly none of that addresses the point anyway. If Jarrett was really having so many issues for so long, it's on Anthem for making the choices they did regardless. They met with him several times over a few months before giving him any position of authority. They are the ones who decided to rebrand Impact to GFW after only four or five months as Impact. They are the ones who went into this with Jarrett.

If Jarrett and GFW were so high risk, it seems Anthem should have had the sense to figure this out and not go into the idiotic direction to continuously rebrand themselves. I've defended Anthem quite a bit in spite of the tons of criticism others have steered their way. If all this stuff you said about Jeff is true, then it's still on them for making an idiotic business decision. Either way, it shows that they really have no idea what they are doing in the wrestling business.

Impactsona

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Favorite Sports Team
G4TDPQp
I'm just going on what I heard and when I meant thin ice I meant after Triplemanía XXV then the whole sending him home thing happened. Something is up and we may never know the full story
Either way, it shows that they really have no idea what they are doing in the wrestling business.
Which is why they brought him in the first place, at the time, despite his flaws most people would agree that TNA's glory years came under his leadership, and he brought a decent influx of new talent with him which helped fill the void of a bunch of departures around the same time. When he's on his game JJ has some great things. But something just does not feel right. Anthem is not used to wrestling I agree on that. I was just trying to make sense about this whole thing.

Edit: I just saw that PWInsider.com says what happened in Canada had nothing to do with the Impact termination. So I don't have a freaking clue what went down. So this has to be some front office stuff. Hopefully, we get something in the next few days about what it was about. Because it has to be something major to end the deal they had.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
omg this company. Pick a damn name and stick with it.

I hated the change to GFW, I am not a Jarret fan but rebranding every couple of months is NOT the way to go about it Anthem! Next, it's gonna be Anthem Wrestling in a month's time when they get bored of the impact name.

Not sure what actually went down, I'd be surprised if it's simply because of a no-show though. That's extremely harsh.

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
200.gif

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
I don't think it shows that they don't know what they are doing or are unstable. I think it shows that they are constantly getting fucked and that this company has been cursed with bad luck.

I'll watch it, but find a way to watch it for free.
What's with the heel turn, bra? I know you like Jarrett and all, but this seems a little much. Some of the people here (not me though, since I'm a leader and not a follower ;)) look up to you as some sort of moral compass. Stealing this PPV doesn't seem like you, man. Not to mention, the 2 big shows normally deliver every year. And I know we all care about this company, so why would you steal the event from them when that only hurts them more?

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Can this company catch a break?

Impactsona

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Favorite Sports Team
G4TDPQp

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Can this company catch a break?
That's Anthem's fault. It's none of their business that Jarrett was drunk.

It just doesn't know how to manage a wrestling company, and apparently, it doesn't have a vision for a wrestling company.