Getting bigger?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Beer

This past week ECW had some pretty massive things happening on the show. Stone Cold got inducted into the hall of fame. Swagger won the ECW Championship AND Tommy Dreamer told everyone he will retire at some date I can't remember if he doesn't win the ECW Title before then.

Things are looking big for them. It is nice WWE does not leave the big announcements for bigger shows.

Thoughts?

CenaMark54

The Austin announcement was a repeat from Raw.

Swagger is a rookie and the least accomplished ECW champion to date.

Dreamer is a jobber, now seemingly in the title hunt.

I would say ECW has not changed one bit.

Beer

Apart from the first point, the others are bullshit. Even though Swagger is a rookie, it still is a world title change, which is always big. Secondly, Tommy Dreamer is possibly THE biggest ECW Superstar ever, and has announced his retirement. It does not matter weather he is a jobber now.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's getting bigger, but at least they're not showcasing no talents like Test.

They are however, still empoying the services of Mark Henry.

CenaMark54

Apart from the first point, the others are bullshit. Even though Swagger is a rookie, it still is a world title change, which is always big. Secondly, Tommy Dreamer is possibly THE biggest ECW Superstar ever, and has announced his retirement. It does not matter weather he is a jobber now.

The ECW belt has less prestige than the IC title and US title at this point. The fact that it just went to a rookie on free TV pretty much confirms it. Its hardly a World title.

if HHH went to ECW and announced his retirement I would say thats a huge accomplishment for the show. But it wasn't HHH, it was Tommy Dreamer. Sure Tommy Dreamer was a top guy for a second rate promotion 10 years ago. That doesn't make the announcement earth shattering. Also, it still doesn't chnage the fact that a jobber is now seemingly throwing himself in the title hunt on the show.

Beer

I still hold my own on the fact of the ECW Title changing hands being a big thing on a non-PPV event. And I still believe that no matter what postition he has on the roster, Tommy Dreamer retiring is a pretty big event in ECW, since his retirement has been teased so many times before.

whiplash

Reaction score
I love title changes outside of PPVs. I saw Hardy last week at a house show and he could barely bend his legs. I am sure that has something to do with him losing the title and possibly taking time off.

SnackZ

Reaction score
Maybe ECW is not getting bigger as questioned in the title but the events at this particular show were better than normal. Title change and an iconic figure announcing his retirement and chase for the title was good tv. Hoping Dreamer challenges for the ECW title at WM25 in Texas with Terry Funk in his corner. Don't even care who he faces but he deserves the belt before he retires.

And don't call the old ECW second rate. If not for this 'second rate' promotion WCW and WWE would not have pushed the envelope which started the Attitude Era and Monday Night Wars so read a book before making ascinine statements like that.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The ECW belt has less prestige than the IC title and US title at this point. The fact that it just went to a rookie on free TV pretty much confirms it. Its hardly a World title.

Your perception is that it is not a world title. The facts however are it is a world title.

And I mean even still following your logic the ECW belt > IC belt as yes, a rookie won the ECW title. But he's been wrestling on a few shows. Whereas the IC title was not long ago won by a random fan in the audience.

Beer

Maybe ECW is not getting bigger as questioned in the title but the events at this particular show were better than normal. Title change and an iconic figure announcing his retirement and chase for the title was good tv. Hoping Dreamer challenges for the ECW title at WM25 in Texas with Terry Funk in his corner. Don't even care who he faces but he deserves the belt before he retires.

And don't call the old ECW second rate. If not for this 'second rate' promotion WCW and WWE would not have pushed the envelope which started the Attitude Era and Monday Night Wars so read a book before making ascinine statements like that.

Pretty sure nobody said that.

SnackZ

Reaction score
Pretty sure nobody said that.

Pretty sure someone did:

if HHH went to ECW and announced his retirement I would say thats a huge accomplishment for the show. But it wasn't HHH, it was Tommy Dreamer. Sure Tommy Dreamer was a top guy for a second rate promotion 10 years ago. That doesn't make the announcement earth shattering. Also, it still doesn't chnage the fact that a jobber is now seemingly throwing himself in the title hunt on the show.

bolded for your viewing pleasure

Beer

Oh, guess I missed it. Anyhow, sure it was a revolutionary promotion, but it was second rate. It was getting nowhere near as much viewers as WCW and WWE.

CenaMark54

The fact of the matter is, ECW was a second rate promotion. It was not in the same league as WCW or WWF.

I'm not saying it wasn't influential. It definitely played a part in ushering in the Attitude Era. But I think you are giving ECW more credit than it deserves.

With that being said, Tommy Dreamer announcement doesn't change my current perception of the current ECW. Its still a glorified developmental promotion in my mind. Sure Dreamer does a good job working with the young talent and should be applauded for his dedication to the wrestling industry, but his "do or die" announcement is hardly a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

seX-Power

They are however, still empoying the services of Mark Henry.

Explain to me why, out of anyone on the roster, they would release their best heel?

CT Styles

Tommy Dreamer retiring is a pretty big event in ECW, since his retirement has been teased so many times before.
Which is another reason no one gives a shit.