Georges St. Pierre Talks Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
1274768731_large.jpg
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will be defending his title against Nick Diaz at UFC 137, and he rightly felt that he should work on his boxing in preparation for the bout. Famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach has worked with GSP for a while now, so it was a no-brainer for St. Pierre to train with him again while he was in Los Angeles for the ESPY's. GSP spoke with the LA Times about Diaz from Roach's gym:

"He can throw punches, but he's a good mix [as an MMA fighter] too -- a well-rounded guy who's on top of his game right now," St-Pierre said of Diaz on Tuesday, ending his session under Roach's watch as boxing junior-welterweight champion Amir Khanentered the gym for a workout.

As always, the question that people bombard GSP with continually was asked again - is he going to go up and fight UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva?

"I don't want to have to go up in weight so much, then come back down and hurt my fighting because of it," St-Pierre said. "I'm trying to learn from other people's mistakes. Silva walks around at 225 [pounds] to 230. My biggest is 185-190. So it's a situation where, 'Is it going to be fought at a catch weight?'

"After this [Diaz] fight, I need to reconsider my career, sit and talk with everyone. Right now, I'm only thinking about Nick Diaz."

And will Diaz and his unique antics get inside GSP's head?

"I fight with my heart, not my head," St-Pierre said. "For me, it's a business. I like my opponents. I need them to make money, so someone like Nick Diaz, let him do what he's going to do. Some guys might let him get into their game. I'm not like that."