Gabrielle Union, Thandie Newton Cast in TYLER PERRY's Film "GOOD DEEDS"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
Rebecca Romijn has joined Tyler Perry's next Lionsgate project Good Deeds. The actress will play a former corporate executive who left her position to focus on being a mother.

Tyler Perry, who is both writing and directing Good Deeds, will star as a man, Glen Deeds, who falls for a struggling single mother just days before his wedding to an affluent, powerful woman. Thandie Newton will play the object of Tyler Perry's desires, with Gabrielle Union playing his fiancée.

GOOD DEEDS begins shooting next week in Atlanta, Georgia, home of
Tyler Perry's successful studio. The film does not have a set release date at this time.

Phylicia Rashad, Brian White, Eddie Cibrian, and Jamie Kennedy also have been cast.

Kairi

Reaction score
Tyler Perry: “They Are Trying To Kill Madea”

Before his “Spike Lee Can Go Straight To Hell” comments at a press conference a few days ago, Tyler Perry released an email to his fans on his website . In the message titled, “They are Trying To Kill Madea”, Tyler talked about the critics, not just Spike Lee, that attempt to bring him down by saying he doesn’t have an audience outside of his black following and how there are people trying to discourage the public from seeing his films.
“You know I don’t dwell in negativity. I try and stay above it, but I wanted to say this to you. You and I both know that there are folks out there that work overtime trying to keep people from seeing my movies. Even though I don’t say anything, it doesn’t mean that I’m not aware of it. They say all kinds of things about the films, Madea and me. They call me everything, but a child of God. I even had someone tell me in a press conference that I don’t have a “white” following. We all know that is not true. Had they been on tour with me they would know White folks, Black folks, Asian folks, Latin folks, Navajo folks, and everyone in between was there laughing side-by-side having a good time.

“It’s crazy the things people print without any facts. What is also interesting is how hard they work to try and discourage you from going to see my films.”But it’s okay, you know why? Because I know that they don’t get it! They don’t get the spiritual side of this, they don’t get the folks that not only laugh, but also get something out of it that they can use to make their lives better. They don’t get that this is about more than making a movie and telling a funny story. They don’t get that it’s about uplifting and encouraging the soul. They don’t get that most of you have been with me long before they knew who I was, and they don’t get that you have my back. And to tell you the truth, it doesn’t matter if they get it or not, as long as you do. I thank God for you every day. You know what you enjoy, you know what makes you laugh and gives you a bit of uplift after you’ve seen it. So come laugh with me this weekend with Madea.

“MADEA’S BIG HAPPY FAMILY opens in theaters this Friday. You know how important the first weekend is, so I sure hope you are planning to go out and see it. I promise you, MADEA’S BIG HAPPY FAMILY is funnier than them all. You will laugh ‘till you hurt, so take some aspirin to the movies with you.

“THIS LINE IS FROM MADEA (say it in your best Madea voice)
“All y’all that squirt a lil pee when you laugh, be careful!” …LOL”

Kairi

Reaction score
tyle perry says spike lee can go straight to hell

[youtube]kVqUOQ66iyI[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
While visiting the Conan Show to promote his latest film “Madea’s Big Happy Family,” director Tyler Perry announced his new television project “For Better or Worse.” The show will be based on Perry’s blockbuster film “Why Did I Get Married?” and will reportedly be an hour long dramedy (comedy+drama).

The original film starred Jill Scott, Sharon Leal, Tasha Smith and Janet Jackson. None of the original cast (male or female) is expected to join the television series; however another name is already being floated around.

Actress Keesha Sharp, best known for her role as Monica on “Girlfriends, and who also had a small part in the original “Why Did I Get Married?,” is said to be on a short list of possible females to play one of the lead characters. Keesha can presently be seen co-starring in the TBS comedy “Are We There Yet,” which stars Essence Atkins and Terry Crews.

Kairi

Reaction score
update

TBS Orders Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse Dramedy Based on Perry’s Hit Why Did I Get Married? Films Debmar Mercury to Sell Syndication Rights

TBS has ordered 10 episodes of the new series Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse from Tyler Perry Studios. The dramedy, based on Perry’s hit Why Did I Get Married? films, marks the third Tyler Perry series to come to TBS, which is also home to Tyler Perry’s House of Payne and Meet the Browns. As with House of Payne and Meet the Browns, syndication will be sold by Debmar Mercury.

Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse follows the ups-and-downs of married life for Marcus and Angela, two characters who originated in the feature films Why Did I Get Married and Why Did I Get Married Too? Michael Jai White (The Dark Knight) and Tasha Smith (Couples Retreat) are set to reprise the roles of television anchor Marcus and salon owner Angela. Additional cast members to be announced.

For Better or Worse marks a new direction for Tyler Perry’s television properties. Unlike his family-oriented sitcoms, For Better or Worse will target young adults. Production on the series is slated to begin this summer at Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta.

“Tyler Perry’s series have been tremendously successful for TBS, helping establish the network as a prime destination for African-American viewers,” said Michael Wright, executive vice president, head of programming, for TBS, TNT and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “Given such a remarkable track record, we’re excited for the opportunity to expand our relationship with Tyler Perry and Debmar-Mercury with the new series For Better or Worse.”

For Better or Worse comes just as Tyler Perry’s history-making House of Payne prepares to end its highly successful run. “Even though it will be sad to say goodbye to House of Payne, I’m really looking forward to exploring new territory with For Better or Worse,” said Tyler Perry. “Working on House of Payne taught me a lot about what it takes to make a successful television series and I’m looking forward to applying that experience to For Better or Worse.”

Debmar-Mercury Co-Presidents Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein commented, “The entertainment industry has never seen anyone like Tyler Perry, an extraordinarily talented film/television/stage producer, writer, director, actor and mogul who is capable of repeatedly turning out hit after hit for both TBS and broadcast syndication. We are thrilled to be associated with another of Tyler’s unique, remarkable and groundbreaking series.”

TBS’s association with Perry and Debmar-Mercury first began in May 2006 with the announcement of a House of Payne test-run on 10 local independent stations. After the successful test, TBS and Debmar-Mercury announced an additional 100 episodes of the series to air nationally on TBS. The first-of-its-kind deal marked a new model for the television industry.

The national premiere of Tyler Perry’s House of Payne on TBS in June 2007 drew 5.9 million viewers, at the time basic cable’s biggest sitcom audience ever. The show remained basic cable’s #1 sitcom until TBS’s August 2008 premiere of Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns. For the first quarter of 2011, House of Payne and Meet the Browns ranked among television’s Top 5 primetime sitcoms with African-American adults 18-34 and 18-49.

Kairi

Reaction score
Wow- now that was fast. After posting earlier this morning that Tyler Perry was looking to bring his “Why Did I Get Married?” spinoff “For Better or Worse” to television, Shadow & Act are now officially announcing its pick up by TBS.

The network has reportedly ordered ten episodes and contrary to previous reports, two of the movie’s original characters will indeed be joining the cast. Both Tasha Smith and Michael Jai White have signed on to reprise their roles of Tasha and Marcus, the most hilarious couple in the group.

The show has no official release date; however it is expected to air on the same night as Tyler’s other two comedies “Meet the Browns” and “House of Payne.” In a statement, Mr. Perry said: “Working on ‘House of Payne’ taught me a lot about what it takes to make a successful television series and I’m looking forward to applying that experience to ‘For Better or Worse.’ ”

Kairi

Reaction score
Thandie Newton on British InStyle - June 2011

288801576.jpg

Kairi

Reaction score
We already know that Taraji P. Henson, Michael Ealy and Kevin Hart will star in the Will Packer-produced big-screen adaptation of Steve Harvey’s best-seller Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, which Tim Story is attached to direct.

This morning, Packer announced the rest of the films cast, namely: Jerry Ferrara, Romany Malco, Gary Owen and Gabrielle Union. Although there’s no word on what characters each of them will be playing.
And by the way, as a reminder, the film is now called just Think Like A Man, with the “Act Like A Lady” piece of the book's title removed.

The story will center on the relationship between a dreamer with culinary talents, played by Ealy, and a high-powered ad exec, played by Henson. Kevin Hart will essentially play the Steve Harvey character - the “relationship expert” who gives advice to the couple.

Production is scheduled to start this summer.

Kairi

Reaction score
Union set to star in 'Family Tree'

Helmer leads cast of Malone, Gilford and Slattery

By
Jeff Sneider
Union

Malone

Gilford

Slattery

Exclusive: Gabrielle Union, Jena Malone, Zach Gilford and "Mad Men" thesp John Slattery are set to star in the indie dramedy "Family Tree."

Brian Savelson is directing from his own screenplay. Anish Savjani ("Meek's Cutoff") is producing with Vincent Savino.

Slattery and Gilford star as an estranged father and son who accidentally wind up in the same vacation home with their two girlfriends. Union will play Slattery's love interest who's practically the same age as his son, which makes for some awkward encounters. Malone will play Gilford's girlfriend.

Production is scheduled to start this June in upstate NY.

Union is currently filming Tyler Perry's "Good Deeds" for Lionsgate and was also just cast in Screen Gems' "Think Like a Man."

Slattery recently appeared alongside Matt Damon in U's "The Adjustment Bureau" and played Robert Downey Jr.'s father in "Iron Man 2."

Malone recently starred in Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch" and wrapped a trio of films -- the lesbian teen romance "Jack and Diane," M. Blash's drama "The Wait" and the Paul Dano-Jon Heder pic "For Ellen."

Gilford, best known for starring in the TV series "Friday Night Lights" as well as ABC's "Off the Map," can currently be seen in James Gunn's "Super."

Union is repped by Paradigm and Jeff Morrone Entertainment, while Gersh reps Slattery and Malone. Gilford is repped by WME and Dontanville/Frattaroli Management.

Kairi

Reaction score
Gabrielle Union on PEOPLE Magazine Style Watch JULY 2011 Cover
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 541x720 and weights 121KB.

Quote:
Gabrielle Union's Sexy Style Secrets

From bargains to bling, the PEOPLE StyleWatch July cover girl shares her shopping tips and fashion must-haves.

WHITE NIGHTS

You'll catch the actress wearing lots of white before Labor Day, but with good reason – beau Dwyane Wade plays for the Miami Heat! "Whenever you go to a game, it's a white-out – everyone wears white outfits," she says (here sporting Elie Tahari to an L.A. event). "I've gotten really creative with white. And if you don't go too tight, it looks good on most people!"

HOOP DREAMS

The Neutrogena spokeswoman confesses to a major hoop earrings addiction. "I live in hoops: classic, funky, high end. I've never seen a hoop that didn't agree with me," she gushes. That doesn't mean she's shelling out for her huge collection, though: "I love going to Cost Plus, it's so easy to grab a bunch. Funky ones, ones with splashes of color, all-purpose ones. They're like $4.95!"

CAMPAIGN PLATFORM

"The platform stiletto is a girl's best friend," she says of her go-to shoe. "It's sexy but not painful. You can really get your strut on without your feet being tortured!"

JUMP AROUND

The statuesque beauty makes pulling off a potentially tricky jumpsuit look easy, but she's got a behind-the-scenes secret: "My tip when getting a jumpsuit is to get a size bigger," she shares. "Nothing looks worse than when it's stretching across your hips and butt. A bigger size can actually make you look smaller!"

NO PAIN, NO GAIN

Who needs a stylist when you've got Dwyane Wade to help dress you? "My honey is into fashion, and he told me to bring it. When I walked out of the closet, he said 'Wow!'" she says of this Mandalay dress, worn to a LeBron James-hosted bash. "That was a night I suffered for beauty. I got wobbly in those shoes, but they looked great in the picture!"

BLING IT ON

"My rule for sparkle is that there's no such thing as too sparkly!" the actress says of ultra-glam dresses like this strapless Nicole Miller mini – though she adds that it's best to play down the rest of the look.

ARM CANDY

The actress, who says she gets fit à deux with Wade, is proudest of her toned triceps. "My favorite feature is my arms – I work hard for them!" she says. "I've never met a tank top I don't like!"

BEACH ESSENTIALS

The star’s vacation checklist is incredibly simple: "When I go on vacation, I pack sunblock, maxidresses, lots of bikinis and a cowboy hat."

JEAN-IUS

Of her favorite pair of jeans, DL1961's "Nicole" ultra skinny, she gushes, "It says four-way stretch and really means it. For girls who like to eat every now and again, girls with butts and thighs, they're amazing!" Her pals love the style too: "They really are like the 'Traveling Pants'; my friends borrow my jeans and they literally look good on everyone – on all different bodies!"

SAVING GRACE

"I like to mix high-end, designer things with funkier, less expensive pieces," she says of her signature style. "I go to Cost Plus and Target and get hoops or power cuffs. There are lots of great pieces you can have fun with. I call it 'balling on a budget'!"