Gabriel Gonzaga Talks About His Return To The UFC Last Weekend

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Gabriel Gonzaga made a triumphant return to the UFC on Saturday night, stepping in at late notice to take on heavyweight debutant Ednaldo Oliveira and submitting him in the middle of the first round.

It was Gonzaga’s first UFC fight since losing to Brendan Schaub in October 2010. That loss, which put him on an 0-2 run, prompted him to leave the UFC and announce retirement.

But he returned to MMA a year later with a win over the unknown Parker Porter in October 2011; some time afterwards he let it be known he would return to the UFC if required.

“It felt great to be back in the Octagon. I showed that I still have my BJJ skills in there,” Gonzaga said after his rear-naked choke win.

“My time away from the UFC was good for me. I dealt with some personal business in my life and came back refocused. Before, I was training well, but my mind just wasn’t in it. Now, I’m back, I feel great. I’m focused and I showed that by beating a 13-0 fighter.”

Oliveira, who saw his undefeated record finally get a blemish, said that he was equal parts disappointed in himself and in the result.

“Part of me is sad and part of me is angry. I left an opening and Gabriel capitalized. I wanted to win badly and this is not a good feeling,” he commented tersely.

Last edited: