Fox Executives Happy With UFC Product, But Dana White Has Changes In Mind

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
MMA fans may see less screaming and more storytelling when they tune into future UFC broadcasts.

"I kind of changed my philosophy now that we're on FOX and we're reaching more people," UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com).

White believes FOX is on board, too. After initial growing pains, he said the network is further easing the reigns on control of the production.

"I think FOX is a lot more comfortable now," White said. "Listen, these guys have never handed it over to somebody else. These guys always do production. They're very comfortable now that we know what the [expletive] we're doing."

Several changes have been seen in UFC broadcasts since the promotion inked a seven-year deal with FOX, from the video montage opening a pay-per-view event to the graphics displayed onscreen during fights, and, of course, a second broadcast team for events on FUEL TV and FX.

But White has also lauded the recent "UFC Primetime: Diaz vs. Condit" special as a powerful tool for changing perceptions about the intriguing and often baffling character that is Nick Diaz. That could be one of the driving forces behind his change of heart.

It could also ease the burden on UFC commentators and present a less frenzied image. Typically, the promotion has leaned on a trio of talking heads – often including White – to promote an event's featured attractions. Bulging veins and raspy shouts are the norm as commentators Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg compete with the arena's sound system.

"That's normally what we used to do, and now we're more, 'Who is this guy? Why this fight? What makes this guy tick? What's he been through?'" White said. "It's more storytelling now than all the fight hype. But there's times when a fight is so [expletive] awesome that fight hype (is necessary)."

Now, White said, the UFC will have creative license to choose the approach with their network partners.

And for PPV broadcasts? White has been pulling the strings since he first became UFC president in 2001.

"I'm a neurotic freak about production," he said.

Despite an effort that leaned more on commentary than bluster, the UFC's most recent event on FOX received a tepid response when the three fights broadcast on the network went to decisions. While ratings for the event were down slightly from the promotion's network debut this past November, White said FOX executives are still happy with the product.

And if that product is slightly more subdued moving forward, don't be surprised.

MMAJunkie.com

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
the UFC's most recent event on FOX received a tepid response when the three fights broadcast on the network went to decisions

Wut.

Wasn't everyone bitching that JDS/Velasquez only went a minute?