Five Fights to Watch in September: The Best of the Best

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Next Big Thing? ( Kofi Kingston)

JonJonesUFC128_large.jpg
September's schedule is jammed with MMA. Hell next weekend there are four different cards that are airing on the same day/night. Since I'd rather do the work for you, here are the top fights to watch in September. Mind you that some of these fights fall on the same night. I'm just giving you the options, you gotta choose which gets priority.

Eduard Folayang vs A Sol Kwon at One Fighting Championship Champion vs Champion on September 3rd: I'm picking this fight because Folayang is one of the top fighters in Asia. I'm also choosing this fight because tomorrow morning we're gonna be doing a discussion at 7AM ET and I'm hoping you're gonna join us. Finally, it's a fight to watch because Eduard Folayang is ridiculously close to Edward Furlong and he was the star of Terminator 2.

Josh Barnett vs Sergei Kharitonov at Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals on September 10th: This should be the finals of the tournament, especially with both Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem no longer competing under the Strikeforce Banner. These two fighters have been at the top of the heavyweight division since PRIDE and are now fighting to decide the best heavyweight outside of the UFC. While the tournament has lost some luster, the matchup is still one of the best the promotion has produced.

Jake Shields vs Jake Ellenberger at Ultimate Fight Night 25 on September 17th: Under normal circumstances this really isn't a fight of much interest. Neither fighter is particularly exciting nor are they big time draws. However, with the recent death of Jake Shields' father, this fight has significance if only to see how he'll perform after the loss of his dad.

Jon Jones vs Quinton Jackson at UFC 135 on September 24th: I was told if I don't mention this fight, I'm fired. I don't see what the big deal is. It's just Jon Jones fighting Rampage in his first title defense at light heavyweight. Oh and if you can't read into that sarcasm, don't comment. This fight is massive and makes this a MUST BUY event.

Alexis Vila vs Joe Warren at Bellator 51 on September 24th: This is a huge matchup that no one will see because Bellator decided to book an event on the same night as UFC 135. Both guys are heavy handed. Both are world class wrestlers. And this fight really plays into the United States vs Cuba rivalry that's been around since the Cold War. GO USA!

So there you go, the top fights for the month of September.