First Column: Backlash

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Mojo

Reaction score
Backlash: Wrestlemania Repeat PPV???
Good or Bad??

What really is the PPV Backlash??? If you ask most people they give you an answer usually something along the lines of this,â€￾ Backlash is the first Pay-Per View after Wrestlemania.â€￾ That is correct, of course. Backlash is also the start of the long road to the next Wrestlemania. But if you look at the Backlash card it is mostly repeat matches from Wrestlemania. For example look at the some of the matches from Wrestlemania 20 and Backlash (RAW) following:
Wresltemania XX (20):
·World Heavyweight Title: Chris Benoit d. Triple H (Champ) & Shawn Michaels to win the title
·Christian d. Chris Jericho
·Handicap Match: Ric Flair, Randy Orton & Batista d. The Rock & Mick Foley. This was Foley's first match in 4 years
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backlash 2004:
·World Heavyweight Title: Chris Benoit (Champ) d. Triple H & Shawn Michaels
·Handicap Match: Chris Jericho d. Christian & Trish Stratus
·Falls count Anywhere for I-C title: Champ Randy Orton beat Mick Foley

You see Chris Benoit won the title at Wrestlemania against HHH and HBK and look who he faced at Backlash, HHH and HBK. I think that this is one of the bad moves by the WWE to have Wrestlemania repeat matches at Backlash. It makes fans lose interest in the PPV because they know how the match will look (moves, counters etc). True, you might have some upsets or new winners in some matches but please I think it needs to be more interesting with than this.

I think the only good part of this is look at Wrestlemania, the Handicap Match between three-fourths of then Evolution versus The Rock and Mick Foley. At Backlash WWE did a different match but with two of the superstars that were in the Wrestlemania match in the “Falls Count Anywhere Matchâ€￾ between Randy Orton and Mick Foley. This is a different match but still I think it should have been an easy pick.

I think the point of Backlash is just for mostly Wrestlemania rematches and feuds to begin; but I think it really doest need a full PPV for it. I think that if it truly needs a PPV that it is a somewhat big joint PPV (not as big as Wrestlemania of course); to have all these events occur and some new things to begin or end.

In conclusion I really don’t think Backlash is a good PPV unless you also put SmackDown! in with it to make it a joint PPV. I think that Backlash should stay if and only if the WWE makes a joint PPV or it should just go away.

--------------------------------------

Thoughts??

This is my first column and I expect to do more in the future so if you can think of a good name for my columns (ex. LW's is "Lethal Injection")

If you have any suggestions I will love to hear them

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Suggestion.

Wait for me to get the column forum open.

It officially will open April 2nd

CenaMark54

Orton vs Foley should have been done at Wrestlemania. They could have had the Rock be the guest ref or take on Flair if they wanted him in the PPV so bad.

Anyway, back on topic. I always thought WM was supposed to be the culmination of the years biggest feuds. Now its like the beginning. Technically, there should only be a rematch at Backlash if there's a title change at Mania.

BrotherBruti

Reaction score
On the Undercard of the Original Grandaddy of Them
WWE hypes the hell out the big WM matchs, should they just forget everything the next night like it never happaned?

They might aswell get as much mileage and money out of the WM matchs as possible, including continuing the feuds into the following month.

Most feuds have always continued after WM, Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Savage, Hogan/Slaughter, Savage/Flair, Hogan/Yoko, Bret/Owen, Shawn/Diesel/Sid, Bret/Austin, Austin/Rock, Rock/HHH, Lesner/Angle, Hogan/Vince.........

Hogan/Warrior ended at WM6 for obvious reasons, Hogan went off to act and both were faces. Bret/Shawn ended because Bret went off to act. Austin/HBK ended because Shawn was injured and Vince was a ready made replacement. Austin/Rock II ended because Rock went off to act. In most cases the main 'Mania feuds have continued in one form or another.