Fightful: WBD AEW TV DEAL renewal update

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

[Fightful Select] AEW in deep extension talks with WBD​

Full post can be found here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/wbd-sources-say-85956353
Some major changes could be on the horizon for All Elite Wrestling.
Fightful can confirm via Warner Bros Discovery sources that AEW has long been involved in television rights extension talks. Those that we’ve spoken to said that the conversations have been ongoing for months and they personally believe an announcement could be made this Summer or Fall of a deal reached.
WBD sources tell us they’ve been very happy with AEW, especially the flexibility they’ve provided with adding and subtracting shows, providing different kinds of content, and working around preemptions and network changes.
One of the provisions regarding AEW content and WBD was that AEW content would be exclusive to the WBD brands, which signaled the end of AEW Dark and Elevation on AEW channels. However, we’ve long heard that beyond the PPV integration, WBD hasn’t had much of an interest in ROH branding themselves, and it actually dates back to when Sinclair owned ROH. We haven't heard if that has changed of late.
WBD does have plenty of say and influence over AEW programming, as we’ve seen in the past with crossovers, and talent that are or aren’t featured. However, we’ve been told that AEW has also been really flexible with overruns, as well as other requests WBD has made.
Regarding the broadcast of AEW All In, we’re told that has been actively discussed as a part of these talks.
The WBD source did confirm what we’ve heard in the past, that the deal would be a “huge money increase for AEW, by the way things are looking now.”

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I feel like they're pretty much the perfect partners for WBD, seems like they've almost bent over backwards at times to placate the network which hasn't been the best for on-screen but if it nets them a better deal then I can't say shit

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I feel like they're pretty much the perfect partners for WBD, seems like they've almost bent over backwards at times to placate the network which hasn't been the best for on-screen but if it nets them a better deal then I can't say shit
what is your opinion on the theory that WBD is the reason we don't get more women wrestling on tv (youtube shows and roh never have this problem)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
what is your opinion on the theory that WBD is the reason we don't get more women wrestling on tv (youtube shows and roh never have this problem)

Doubtful it's a hard mandate, outside of Athena and her angles I don't think ROH even has good women's booking either just more matches bc they can just do matches more free there

Feels more like my issue in TEW where the women aren't huge stars compared to men so you get penalized for booking too many women's segments essentially but if you don't they'll never become bigger stars :lol which I've always believed that essentially you just have to "force" it like WWE did with their women's revolution thing, and then eventually you fake it til you make it and they're viewed as more equal divisions

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Doubtful it's a hard mandate, outside of Athena and her angles I don't think ROH even has good women's booking either just more matches bc they can just do matches more free there

Feels more like my issue in TEW where the women aren't huge stars compared to men so you get penalized for booking too many women's segments essentially but if you don't they'll never become bigger stars :lol which I've always believed that essentially you just have to "force" it like WWE did with their women's revolution thing, and then eventually you fake it til you make it and they're viewed as more equal divisions
I'm familiar with that concept, think we discussed it in the past, and I do agree actually they don't really book more womens stories per say in roh. But yeah, it's a chicken and egg thing I guess - at one point they are going to have to force it like WWE did (and TNA at some point obviously did, it didnt happen overnight clearly)

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
and not to repeat my past self, I do think signing Mercedes would force them to do that and I wish theyd get on with it lol