Fedor speaks on his upcoming fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Formerly top-ranked heavyweight fighter Fedor Emelianenko will attempt to rebound from a three-fight skid this weekend when he meets fellow veteran Jeff Monson at the top of the M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Monson fight card.

Known as The Last Emperor, Emelianenko once ruled over the heavyweight division in Pride and was considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet. The stoic Russian's last three bouts have resulted in decisive losses, but he doesn't seem to have let it affect his mindset much - the defeats have opened the door for him to fight in his home country, after all.

"I'm really happy to be fighting in Russia because most of my fights have been overseas," Fedor said recently. "The only time I've fought in Russia was four years ago in St. Petersburg. I feel good and I'm looking forward to this fight. This is my job. I always try to win each fight. I'm not fighting to prove anything to anyone. I fight; that's what I do. What happened, happened. I felt I could win each of those fights but something went wrong. Anything can happen and I prepare for each fight very seriously."

The 35-year-old also said that he's excited to face Monson, a seasoned competitor who was a proposed opponent during his tenure as a top fighter in Pride.

"This fight (versus Monson) has been talked about since my Pride days," Fedor noted. "I am familiar with his career. I think Jeff is a very respected and tough opponent. I am looking forward to fighting him. Each fighter is different in his own way. I have had to fight various great guys. Jeff and I will offer an entertaining fight."
M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Monson goes down November 20 from the Olympic Stadium in Moscow, Russia.

Fightline.com

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I didn't realise that he was still fighting. No real surprise that for his return to Russia he is being fed a can to give him the easy win. Monson used to be good but he hasn't faced top competition for a couple of years now.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that he missed his chance by not going to UFC when Dana offered him a deal. He should have taken it and not allowed his management to screw up his chance at UFC. I also think that after that second loss he should have gone down to light heavyweight to see if he can restart his career in a new division

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I don't know, in his prime it's hard for me to say that he would've been competetive in UFC's heavyweight divison. Agreed about the weight-class change though.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It would have been good to see how good Fedor actually was if he came into the UFC in his prime. I wanted him to join around the time Lesnar joined UFC but it never happened, would have been a massive fight.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I remember being pissed off for the longest time because that fight never happened.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hes a disgrace, the fight was a total mismatch and his next will be even worse.

So called No.1# heavyweight in MMA yet is picking on guys with 4-1-1 record?

What a bum.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Thought i'd just post the results to the entire show in this thread.

The following are quick-match results from the M-1 Global: "Fedor vs. Monson" event, which emanated from the Olympic Stadium in Moscow, Russia

-Salim Davidov def. Sergey Komev via Unanimous Decision after 3 Rounds.
-Albert Duraev def. Xavier Foupa-Pokam via Submission (triangle choke) in Round 2.
-Mikhail Malyutin def. Seydina Seck via KO (punch) in Round 1.
-Mairbek Taisumov def. Joshua Thorpe via KO (punches) in Round 2.
-Yuri Ivlev def. Jerome Bouisson via TKO (punch) in Round 1.
-Alexander Yakovlev def. Juan Manuel Suarez via TKO (punches) in Round 2.
-Daniel Weichel def. Jose Figueroa via KO (punches) in Round 1.
-Fedor Emelianenko def. Jeff Monson via Unanimous Decision after 3 Rounds.

MMANews.com

Ben

Reaction score
I watched the fight and he looked ok, but not that hard to pull out a decesion victory against Monson. Supposedly he's getting booked on the New Years Eve Dream card. I loved him in Pride but I've lost interest in him. Don't think we'll ever see him in the UFC as he'll just continue to take soft matches in Europe and then fade off into the distance.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Surprised that he couldn't finish Monson. Good move to throw him on the New Years Eve card, they aren't as big as they used to be in Japan but they are still pretty big. He will fade away now that he can't get a fight in Strikeforce or UFC.