Favorite wrestling styles? (Slow-Paced Psychology vs Spotfests etc.)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Eerie_Cherub

Reaction score
If this is in the wrong section please move it for me! I'm new and I apologize for that - wasn't quite sure where to put it.

I've thought about this a lot because some indie shows are known for promoting varying wrestling styles which ranges from promotion to even region, while the style that home-grown WWE talent are trained beginning in developmental is more of a slower paced style psychology with good examples of this approach to psychology being seen in Randy Orton, John Cena HHH, etc.

Some wrestlers are more of the brawler type, some are high flyers etc but in general WWE matches nowadays can be fast and offer diverse ranges of movesets but still tends to focus a good bit on in-ring psychology which is further embellished by camera shots reactions from large crowds. I think this approach along w/ the development of characters and storylines in WWE played a big role in it being the top company in Pro-Wrestling.

Japan and Mexico are also known for their different styles of wrestling as Japan is generally less story driven and theatrical but more straightforward, technical and stiff. It's not common in Japan to see technical workers who can work the mat, do arial moves, grapple and strike all at a high level which probably plays a role in why many people highly respect Japanese wrestling/wrestlers.

Mexican wrestling rings are smaller than ours with a shape designed for agility, making it easier for wrestling to bounce freely and lucha libre is what gave birth to the high flying luchadore wrestler like Rey Mysterio and Kalisto but of course some wrestlers in Mexico are also powerful brawlers who can deliver a good power bomb too.

I like the lucha libre style and I like seeing lots of spots but it can't sacrifice believability and in ring psychology for me. Hoping to get to know what others think.l

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
I like out of control brawls best, if that counts.

DoflaMihawk

Reaction score
Depends on my mood. I find the older I get, the more I can appreciate a style like Shawn Michaels. I like how clear it was how tired he was getting throughout the match, and by the end he was basically dead and just clawing to reach the top rope for and elbow drop. How many wrestlers nowadays can really sell exhaustion to that level?