Ex-champ Sean Sherk Aims For Spring UFC Return, Wants To Solidify HOF Credentials

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
"I wanted to fight [in 2011]," Sherk told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMAjunkie.com Radio | MMAjunkie.com) on Monday. "But I had the same issues that held me out of the octagon for 18 months. It's just injuries. It's injuries piling up.

"I fought too many times in the last five or six years with serious injuries. I don't feel the need at this point to fight injured. When you're fighting and not 100 percent, it's not a fun thing. It's not something fun to go through. It's not fun going through training camp when you need surgery."

The goal, he said, isn't to prove his title-worthiness. Instead, it's about cementing and improving his credentials for inclusion in the UFC Hall of Fame.

"The guys are getting younger, and the guys are getting faster, and they're getting tougher, more explosive," said Sherk, who previously fought for a welterweight title and later held the lightweight strap. "Their coaches are getting better. The sport isn't what it was five or 10 years ago. It's 100 percent changed. If I want to stay on top of the heap, I've got to stay on top of everything – staying healthy in training, my diet, my conditioning."

Lately, Sherk has immersed himself in training, teaching and doing "tons" of seminars. He likes sharing his knowledge with the next generation of fighters, but he also wants the recognition that he was one of the best of his era. To do that, he needs big fights.

"I want to fight again," he said. "I'm a fighter. At this point in time, do I plan on fighting five or six more times? Probably not, to be honest with you. That's why I want big fights. I want co-main-event or main-event type fights that are going to cement my place in the UFC Hall of Fame. Absolutely, I think at this point in time, I've done enough to be a hall of famer, but I'd like a few more fights to make my mark."

"Most guys in the Hall of Fame right now didn't accomplish what I've accomplished. So I feel like I deserve that."

MMAJunkie.com

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I had completely forgotten about Sherk, didn't realise that he was on the comeback trail. Also what is his talk about UFC HOF, he doesn't have the most impressive record in UFC and wasn't a dominant champion so I don't know if he is a lock for it.