Eli Drake: I was Surprised

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Captain Charisma

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Favorite Wrestler
christian2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
After Alberto El Patron was forced to relinquish the Impact Global Championship, many were surprised that Eli Drake was chosen to be the next champion including Drake himself. He recently discussed his reaction to winning the championship with Wrestling With Ideas.

Drake was a staple of Impact Wrestling's midcard before he was tabbed as the next champion. He said he was wondering about his status within the company and the news of his forthcoming win had caught him off-guard.

"I say it was probably around a week or 2 before the show which kind of came as a shock to me just because I think leading up to it I was almost like 'Guys, I'm here, what are we doing with me?' And then it was all of a sudden like 'Here you go!' I was like 'What the? Ok. All right. Cool!' But I'm not complaining in the least because I think those kind of surprises work out really well," Drake said.

Drake won the Global Championship on the August 24 episode of Impact Wrestling, winning a 20-man gauntlet match to claim the vacant title. He has taken his opportunity and ran with it and has emerged into an entertaining champion. He is currently embroiled in a rivalry with Johnny Impact and will look to defend his title at Bound For Glory on Nov. 5. Drake pointed out how Impact could've been chosen to win the gauntlet match, but the surprise of winning it himself was the right decision.

"I think especially, when you look at a guy like Johnny Impact coming in. Here he comes at the gauntlet match. Gauntlet for Gold," Drake said. "I think a lot of people were like '(sigh), Here comes this Johnny Impact. He is going to win it.' Wrong! Wrong! It's this guy, Eli Drake coming out on top and now it's just been a helluva ride and I get to have all the responsibilities and all the perks of being champion. So I'm really digging it."

One of the best moves of Impact this year. After Anthem has arrived, Eli was nowhere to be found, he was losing a lot also didn't have much storyline. So it was a surprise as TNA is infamous for pushing new stars quickly to top. Great that they believed in Eli as he deserves a shot. He is one of the best guys on mic today in wrestling. His in ring skills are not that good but he can improve that. So weird that he came all the way by being Drew's sidekick at -what was that stable's name?

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I was certainly surprised. Looking back it seemed pretty setup with Drake being given the first entrant.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Yeah Drake was surely misused before getting the TNA World Title that's for damn sure. They had him as the Comedy act with Tyrus and it really wasn't going anywhere in the company dummy yeah. I'm glad they came to their senses, they could have their best Heel TNA Champion since Bobby Roode if all goes well.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Yeah, giving Drake the belt to run with was a great decision. I prolly wouldn't have much of a vested interest in Impact right now if he wasn't a top guy. His charisma is evident, his character comes across really naturally, and I feel like he's an ideal heel champion. Now if only Jinder had these qualities.