Edson Barboza Talks About His UFC 134 Bout With Ross Pearson

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Edson-Barboza_Big_large.png
Edson Barboza has looked very impressive in his first two UFC fights, and will get the chance to strut his stuff on the main pay-per-view card of UFC 134 against Ross Pearson next month. Barboza recently did an interview with The Garv where he comes across as very humble and mature in discussing his next fight and his career path. Here's what he had to say about Pearson:

"I know that Ross Pearson is a good opponent and I'm working very hard for that fight," he said. "My camp is going great, I have no injuries, and I'm focused on my game and what I will do."

His camp at the Armory includes some pretty awesome grapplers:

"I'm training striking with coach Ouali and my partners Luis Cane and Marlon Moraes," he said. "I've been training jiu-jitsu and grappling with big names like Eduardo Guedes, Rafael Chaves, Pablo Popovitch, Roberto Cyborg {Abreu) and Vagner "Ceara" Rocha, and also I'm training wrestling at Imperial Gym. I'm doing my strength and conditioning with Joe Mullings. So I'm working all of MMA points for that fight because I want to be able to work standing up and on the ground in this fight."

He also understands that rising to the top in the stacked lightweight division is going to take some time:

"I'm not worried about that right now," he said. "I just want to do a good job and keep working step by step to reach my earned space in the UFC. I have great partners and great coaches and I want to do a good job."

A lot of people just focus on Barboza's striking, but the purple belt in BJJ is definitely working with the right people to develop his grappling, and he could very well be a force at 155 in the years to come.