Dustin Poirier-Chan Sung Jung Announced As Title Qualifer Fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
A previously announced featherweight bout between Dustin Poirier (12-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) and Chan Sung Jung (12-3 MMA, 2-0 UFC) will now headline May's UFC on FUEL TV 3 event.

Officials today announced the bout as a five-round main event.

The winner "is expected to emerge as a challenger to the UFC 145-pound title currently held by Brazilian star Jose Aldo," according to the release.

UFC on FUEL TV 3 takes place May 15 at Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The event's main card airs live on FUEL TV while preliminary-card fights are expected to stream on Facebook. The UFC recently announced a number of fights for the card, including main-card bouts of lightweights Jeremy Stephens (20-7 MMA, 7-6 UFC) vs. Donald Cerrone (17-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and bantamweights Mike Easton (12-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) vs. Yves Jabouin (17-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC).

"We're excited to head back to the Patriot Center again with another great night of fights, including a featherweight main event pitting Dustin Poirier against 'The Korean Zombie,'" UFC president Dana White stated. "Poirier and 'The Korean Zombie' are two of the most exciting fighters in the UFC. This is going to be a fun fight. From top to bottom, I will deliver for the fans in Virginia."

Poirier returns after a UFC 143 victory over octagon newcomer Max Holloway. The win was Poirier's fifth straight and brought his record to 4-0 since dropping to 145 pounds.

Jung fights for the first time since a shocking seven-second knockout win over Mark Hominick at this past December's UFC 140 event. Prior to that, he made his UFC debut and submitted Leonard Garcia with a twister that earned a 2011 World MMA Award.

Yep, so Jose Aldo gets the winner of this fight. Full confidence that we'll see Aldo hang on to the title, although i may be a bit biased as i want to see Edgar/Aldo fight for the title at some point.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
So Aldo is gonna take this fight and whoop up whoever wins... I'd say it would take two rounds for Aldo to defend.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Pretty much :lol:

If anything this is more of a reason why Edgar needs to move down, Aldo has Zero competition at 145. I just watched an interview with Dana and the reporter asked why Frankie wouldn't make the move, and Dana basically said he's going to persuade him to move down. The UFC 144 medical suspensions came out yesterday, Benson was medically suspended 6 months for a foot fracture, so i think that'll come into play as Dana forces him to fight Edgar.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't rate Aldo anywhere near as high as most do and would give a lot of fighters a chance against him.

Haven't seen (or cared) much of Poirier, but Korean Zombie is legit. Knocking out Homnick that quick was really impressive considering how good Homnick actually is.