Drew McIntyre not currently interested in a heel turn

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
drewmheel.webp

Drew McIntyre doesn't want to turn heel in WWE unless the idea makes "perfect sense."

While being interviewed on Stay Busy with Armon Sadler ahead of SummerSlam, McIntyre was asked about his future goals in WWE. McIntyre said he wants to stay on the same path he's been on and be part of compelling stories. Pointing to the work he does outside of the ring with organizations like the Special Olympics, McIntyre said he's not willing to turn heel unless it's the right time, the right moment, and would be entertaining for fans.

Staying on the path I'm on right now. I just want to make sure I get in interesting and compelling stories. It's cool coming out and getting the cheers, people are happy to see Drew. But I always want to be in something interesting that gets you emotionally invested as well. I know there was a period where I wasn't doing that, and thankfully I got back into it when I got with Sheamus and leading into that triple threat.
But I want to make sure we keep evolving, keep adding layers to the character, keep doing all the cool things I get to do outside the ring, and get that title reign in front of fans finally. The character itself, I'm willing to go any direction that's going to be interesting. I know people are calling for a heel turn, but I'm not willing to do that unless it makes perfect sense. You know, we've got a lot of equity in McIntyre. When I show up at places like Special Olympics and see the effect WWE and McIntyre has on people, I can understand [John] Cena's perspective of not turning for so long. And he was on such a higher level and did so much outside the ring, but I can understand where he was coming from. But for the right time, the right moment, and if it was entertaining for the fans, I would be about that. One of my favorite runs outside the company was as a heel. And when that dark side comes out, it's pretty dark.

McIntyre is challenging Gunther for the Intercontinental title at SummerSlam this Saturday night. Gunther and McIntyre also faced off for the championship at WrestleMania 39 this April in a triple threat match that included Sheamus.

Gunther is currently just over a month away from passing the Honky Tonk Man and becoming the longest reigning Intercontinental Champion in WWE history.

During the build to SummerSlam, McIntyre has missed a couple of episodes of Raw due to filming for a movie project. McIntyre has been cast in the action film "The Killer's Game," which stars WWE legend Dave Bautista.

McIntyre is in the last year of his WWE contract and has yet to sign a new deal. His contract is set to expire in early 2024.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
First Bianca said she isn't interested in a heel turn, now Drew. It's like the opposite of 5 years ago when everyone's answer to revamping a character is a heel turn......Another trend Cody started :side:

Reactions: The Gipper

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
To be fair this is more a WWE thing. Cena (as Drew mentioned in the article) was against it, and Bruce Prichard talked about Hogan being against turning, all cause of the impact it would have on the kids (and the merch checks).

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Cena has had the same stance for the better part of 2 decades. And it’s not really about the wrestling character.

Cena had “Make A Wish” and all those other charities

Drew has the Special Olympics. I’m sure ton of kids look up to him and they make not be realize this is just a show.

Some guys don’t want to turn simply for the merch but I think this is deeper than that.

Reactions: Jimmy King

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
if him being heel is best for the company, I think he should turn heel. just my opinion. He's nowhere near the popularity of Cena or Hogan to have this kind of pull. respectfully.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
LOL turn heel so I can love you dammit :neckbeards2:

BSE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Sports Team
nnLKsfY
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
I've never cared about Drew as a heel but he's one of my favorite faces

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I will say I enjoyed Drew more as a face than a heel as well. I don't think he has to be a heel in order to get him over again. It's just about how he's booked and against who and if it's just a well booked program.

Daddy Dom

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I respect the decision even if I think it can make you very bland. I prefer Drew as heel think he's better in role

Reactions: Canadian Dragon