Dolph Ziggler Speaks On His WWE Goals & Rock/Cena at WM

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
College Times recently conducted an interview with WWE star Dolph Ziggler, who spoke on a number of topics including his goals in WWE and the upcoming Rock vs John Cena bout at WrestleMania 28. The following are some highlights from the interview:

"I want to be champion, I want to wrestle a main event at Wrestlemania and another very realistic goal of mine far down in my career is that I want to be know as the greatest ever," said Ziggler. "Not everybody wants that. Some people want to be champion, but in ten years when people say my name, I want them to be saying 'he was the guy who was the best ever.'"

When asked about The Rock vs John Cena at WrestleMania 28, Ziggler said:

"Both those guys are in awesome shape. Cena is like our franchise guy. He carries the company on his back and he's out there every single night doing everything he can to give back to the fans. The Rock, he's awesome at what he does, but he's kind of moved on and he's a movie star now, so I've gotta go with the hometown guy who is out there in the trenches with us every single weekend as opposed to the guy that comes back a couple times a year."

I'd really like to see Ziggler in one of the major championship matches at Mania but will it happen this year? No, obviously not due to the fact it is a guarantee that it will be CM Punk vs Chris Jericho. But I see him possibly being in WWE Championship match at WM29. The guy has been working his ass off lately putting on entertaining matches and doing double duty, his mic work has improved majorly and he's been cutting some awesome promos. He deserves the WWE Championship sometime later this year imo.

About the Rock vs Cena comment, most of the WWE guys say that in the interviews but I think they all probably like The Rock more. He is much better than Cena and they know that.

Seems very ambitious in this interview and a down to earth guy.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I wouldn't call it a stretch to say that Cena is probably better in the ring than The Rock was.

Reactions: 1 person

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I can say without hesitation that Cena is better than Rock was in ring wise. Rock's value was and always will be in his mic work than his in ring stuff. Not that Rock was bad or anything he is a very solid in ring performer but never at any point could you point to Rock and say he is the best in ring performer today or had the best matches.

As for Dolph idk if he'll ever get to the point he wants to get at but he's already excelled much further than I could ever imagine him doing. He went from a spirit squad member to hi my name is Dolph Ziggler both were jokes of a situation to be in but he overcame it and is one of the best in ring performers today so who knows maybe he'll get close to the level he wants as he just keeps getting better and better.

Jay

Reaction score
I can see Dolph really chasing the gold for the next year or so, topping off with a big win at Mania.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Rock didn't have the greatest matches technically like say a HBK, but he damn sure knew how to put on some of the greatest shows in the ring.

Rock and HHH in their iron man match
Rock and Austin in their last 2 mania encounters
Rock and Brock
Heck Rock and Booker at SSlam had the crowd hooked

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
At the rate Dolph Ziggler is going he will be in plenty of title matches at WM in the future. This year won't be his year but it wouldn't be a stretch to say that he is a very good chance of being in a title match at WM29.

On his Rock/Cena comments I like how he complimented both guys, even though he is a heel, and then went with the company man. Don't think I have ever seen a wrestler say a bad word about Cena.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
If Dolph keeps working as hard as he has and with the way he keeps just moving up the card. Hell, it's kind of hard to imagine that Zack Ryder's push ended up helping Dolph more. He just got the bigger rub and his momentum even losing the US Title just took him straight to a WWE Title match at the Rumble.

He'll be in the Mania picture next year but are WWE going to pull the trigger? I think they may have too. I think WWE is trying to stray away from throwing new guys out there with how average Miz's Mania match last years was but he did slam his head into the concrete for that one. If he keeps getting good airtime on Raw and keeps improving he will no doubt be one of the brightest stars in the company in time. He is already on his way after all.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I can say without hesitation that Cena is better than Rock was in ring wise. Rock's value was and always will be in his mic work than his in ring stuff. Not that Rock was bad or anything he is a very solid in ring performer but never at any point could you point to Rock and say he is the best in ring performer today or had the best matches.
Can the same not also be applied to Cena too?

As far as Ziggler goes, his progression has been quite phenomenal considering what he started out as. With the way he's going now, i'm sure he'll become champion towards the latter half of the year if his performances remain at the high standards he's been setting.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Not really now if you look at Cena's entire career considering a year like 07 for example you could say that he was the best in ring performer that year. Cena has great mic skills but for a while now no one will outright wanna watch Cena for what he says on the mic like Rock does. If this was 05 and before I would say yea the same does apply.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
While true that people may not tune in for him on his promos alone, I still believe he's seen more of a charismatic / promo guy than he is an in-ring technician.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Well yeah I'm not going that far to say Cena was Bret Hart in the ring or nothing like that but I think he's had so many great matches and matches that could be considered classics down the line to the point where you can call him a great in ring performer and has had years where you can debate if he was the best in ring performer that year. Rock has had his share of great and classic matches but I don't think to the point where you could point to a year and say he was the best in ring performer that year.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Dolph is definitely one of the best up and comers going around he's definitely not a face but he could very well be a top heel of the business as he progresses I would put him on par with Edge or even Triple H as he progresses with his character

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Well yeah I'm not going that far to say Cena was Bret Hart in the ring or nothing like that but I think he's had so many great matches and matches that could be considered classics down the line to the point where you can call him a great in ring performer and has had years where you can debate if he was the best in ring performer that year. Rock has had his share of great and classic matches but I don't think to the point where you could point to a year and say he was the best in ring performer that year.
2001?

2000 - No one could touch HHH
2001 - Rock imp was better than Austin, Kurt, Jericho, Kane, and Taker. HHH also missed a good bit of it

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Austin owned 01 imo. That was the best in ring year he probably ever had so nah wouldn't say he was the best that year but he was up there if there was ever a year for Rock to take that crown.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
to me Rock was the out right star of that year in and out the ring, might just be me though