Discipline vs Child Abuse

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
I got this after reading that story from Yahoo that Kizza posted, but how do yall feel about disciplinary actions towards children. Do you feel as though it's needed, that it's uncalled for, that parents that do it should be jailed, or is there a line that can't be crossed?

I feel as though you can discipline your child, but there's a line that can't be crossed. Beating your kid since less obviously crosses the line. Time-out, spankings, standing in corners, those are acceptable. I got spankings when I was younger (by hand or belt), had to stand in the corner (sometimes on one foot), got my hands slaped, but it was neccassary, I was bad, that taught me a lesson.

CT Styles

Two words determine whether you're taking it too far.

Common sense. Think about them and the topic together and you will have success.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
But there are people who feel as though any type of discipline is wrong and considered abuse. Some that say common since tells you that you don't beat or hurt the one's you love, in this case their kids.

Kizza

I always thought that a slap on the wrist was a good enough. Sometimes when I was real abusive when I was young, i'd get a slap across the mouth. Enough to hurt, but not to do serious damage. Guess what? I didn't do it again.

Reaction score
Australia... and no, I do not ride around on a Kan
In my opinion hitting a child is wrong no matter what reason, but just cause someone hits a child doesn't automatically make it child abuse.

- Hitting a child on the head, chest, neck, back, shoulder IS Child abuse.
- Beating a child with an object or doing serious damage to their body - child abuse.
- Giving the child a small slap on the back of the hand, backside, not one that really hurts, just a little pain is NOT child abuse. However I do believe it is not the right thing for a parent to do and should be the last resort (so if any other punishment doesn't work, then try the slap on the wrist)

MikeRaw

When the kid s a child, like under 9, sure, spank if you need to (once or twice), but that's basically it. Slapping is a bit too much IMO, and obviously so is pushing or anything. If I was a parent, which I probably will be once I'm older, even if the kid hits me with a punch, or a kick, I still wouldnt do anything more than direct him/her to their room anyways. You can't hit the kid back.

As for when the kid is older, a parent should still only hit the kid if he's hit them. Swearing or trouble at school, etc, shouldnt have to be hit over anyways. Only if the kid, who is a teen, hits the parent, should the parent hit... Or if he is posing a thread (gun, knife, etc)

Moonlight Drive

I suppose it's the only way very young kids will understand, but once they get to about 5 or 6, spanking and the like is taking the easy way out. I believe it's more important for a kid to know exactly why what they did was wrong rather than just spanking them for doing something bad. (If that made sense >_>)

noumenon

Nothing in my opinion is worse than verbal abuse. I think more parents are guilt of that than anything else. It usually hurts a hell of a lot more and can have more damaging effects.
As far as actual physical repremanding of a child, I think it's alright to some extent. For young kids I think a simple little spank on the butt is enough. Not enough to leave a mark or really hurt the kid...but just enough to have them think "ah shit, i didn't like that, lemme not do that anymore." I mean...of course you should avoid doing so if you can...but I really think people over react to a little spank sometimes.