Did you feel that Rey Mysterio won his first WWE World Heavyweight title in WM22 because he truly...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
deserved it or because of Eddie Guerrero's death?

After re-watching Rey's Triple Threat match at Wrestlemania 22 multiple times on Youtube, I noticed that there were some silent boos from the audience and the youtube comments were pointing that Rey was only booked to win this match because of Eddie's death and that the WWE exploited Eddie's death as soon as they possibly could. Me on the other hand, have always felt that Rey deserved his main event push and world title run for all his talent and hard work. However, I honestly didn't like the way the WWE gave Mysterio, his World Heavyweight title and main event push. There could have been better ways of booking Mysterio's World Title win without exploiting Eddie Guerrero's death so soon.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
It was def a replacement for Eddie and to honor his death. Rey is a bigger name than Chavo, so they had Rey fill those shoes of hope, underdog, and living your dreams.

Def a filler of a champion. It’s not to say that Rey didn’t “deserve” a short run, but that’s def why he got his first run.

SWL

ur booty is heavy duty like diarrhea
Hotshot
Reaction score
many people deserve to be world champion but never get the chance to be world champion. Rey Mysterio definitely deserved it but I would go as far as saying that it wouldn't have happened (at least this soon) if Eddie didn't pass away.

On a personal level, as a kid I loved Mysterio the most. So ultimately it doesn't really matter to me that he got the boost off of Eddie passing away. Rey was a good fit for Eddie and if it wasn't for his title run, who knows if I'd even watch wrestling right now

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Wrasslemaniac

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
At the time i felt like it was originally going to be booked as eddie vs rey for the title with rey winning. If i remember correctly eddie and reys story in the previous year looked like it was setting up for eddie to turn on him and either cost him something or get involved. One way or the other i definitely think eddie vs rey was supposed to happen for the title at wm22

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
At the time i felt like it was originally going to be booked as eddie vs rey for the title with rey winning. If i remember correctly eddie and reys story in the previous year looked like it was setting up for eddie to turn on him and either cost him something or get involved. One way or the other i definitely think eddie vs rey was supposed to happen for the title at wm22
I've actually heard different. I've heard that Eddie Guerrero was originally gonna wrestle HBK for the first time ever at WM22 in an interpromotional match until his death and nearly every WM22 match had to completely change because of his passing.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Yeah definitely a deserving champion but the reason he got the title was because of Eddie's passing. No doubt in my mind about that.

Wrasslemaniac

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've actually heard different. I've heard that Eddie Guerrero was originally gonna wrestle HBK for the first time ever at WM22 in an interpromotional match until his death and nearly every WM22 match had to completely change because of his passing.
That would have been better. Think my view on it was purely on the storyline involving rey and eddie as well as talk at the time that it was going to that way but hbk vs eddie would have been amazing!

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Kurt Angle should of won that match. It was a badass triple threat match though. Short, but to the point.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
He definitely deserved to be the Champ, but he only won at the time because of Eddie. Hell, look at 2013 (2012? I can't remember) when he won the WWE Championship. Sure it was a awful reign and should have lasted months apposed to an hour and a half, but he still won it. So yeah, he deserved it, but only got it because of Edward T. Guerrero