Del Rio talks about WWE not going to Mexico and more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
WWE World Heavyweight Champion Alberto del Rio gave an interview with Yahoo! Deportes over the weekend where he admitted that Mexico isn't in the WWE plans anymore due to declining a economy, attendances, ratings, and even piracy. ADR said that once WWE sees that a market is beyond saving in their minds then they would turn their attention to newer markets. ADR said that a couple of years ago Mexico was held in high regard by the promotion but their last tour there last year was considered a flop in their eyes with the lack of merchandise sold being a key factor in determining that the product just wasn't hot anymore. ADR spoke of his future and said while he hopes to return to Mexico one day he feels a deep sense of gratitude to the WWE for giving him the opportunity that made him a superstar and they stood by him in very difficult situations. ADR said that the WWE is like family and when he retires he hopes to become a road agent where he will be able to share his experiences with younger talent to help them grow to become superstars like him.

source

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Mexicans didn't make money for the WWE, so what does Vince McMahon do pulls a 'middle finger' and goes to a different place that will earn him some cash...

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:
Mexicans didn't make money for the WWE, so what does Vince McMahon do pulls a 'middle finger' and goes to a different place that will earn him some cash...

You say it like it is a bad thing. It's business. If you have a market that doesn't make you money (which allows you to put on the show, pay the wrestlers and crew etc) why invest time and money in that market when there are other, more profitable markets like Europe to target?

It's like selling sand in Egypt.

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
You say it like it is a bad thing. It's business. If you have a market that doesn't make you money (which allows you to put on the show, pay the wrestlers and crew etc) why invest time and money in that market when there are other, more profitable markets like Europe to target?

It's like selling sand in Egypt.

I get that it is a business wise move, but it is also a bit of disrespectful.

If they reveal it openly that they won't come to Mexico because of the lack of merchandise sells, that speaks volumes, on how much the WWE gives a damn about any fan around the globe. They could've said something else, to cover that fact, because I am positive that Mexican fans might get offended by that statement, especially when it comes from another fellow Mexican, who will look like a 'kiss ass' to the WWE.

Stopspot

Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:
I get that it is a business wise move, but it is also a bit of disrespectful.

Is it really? WWE has no obligation to tour an area that doesn't invest in them. If he did they would have yearly tours of Scandinavia, they've never been here. Because us Scandinavian's don't care about wrestling in general.

Vince is just cutting costs and making a smart business move. It is in no way disrespectful.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm brazilian, if a brazilian WWE employee said they weren't returning because they didn't sell enough merchandise I'd be sad but not offended at all, it's like me saying "Mexico is an underdeveloped country with bad economy" and people raging all about it. I feel bad for Mexican fans who won't be able to watch it live again, but I don't blame WWE, really.

But I'd like to point out that the Main Event of the Raw that took place in Mexico involved Michael Cole and Jim Ross (doesn't prove nor disprove my point, just wanted to say that).

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I remember going to Tijuana with a couple friends a while back, and I saw a guy wearing a CM Punk shirt. :true:

Not sure what that has to do with any of this, but yeah, just thought you should all know.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
deth said:
I remember going to Tijuana with a couple friends a while back, and I saw a guy wearing a CM Punk shirt. :true:

Not sure what that has to do with any of this, but yeah, just thought you should all know.

Well, statistically it'd mean that they have enough WWE fans for you to spot one who wears wrestling t-shirts randomly. But I wear my CM Punk shirt from time to time here on the street and Brazil still has many, many less wrestling fans than it could. :downer:

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
This was a great read. For some reason I always had this impression that ADR didn't really care about the WWE and was there for a few years to earn big money and then retire. I think it was because in one interview he was saying things like he doesn't plan on sticking around for long, and then it was reported that he stood up to Vince and that "Vince likes him because ADR doesn't care if he's fired" -- I should know better than to listen to Meltzer -- and things like that. Nice to know he holds the company in such high regard.

Oh, Mexico, yeah I don't care about WWE not going there.

Stopspot

Reaction score
WWE in Cornwall, performing in front of a one man crowd.