Death Before Dishonor media scrum notes

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

ROH stars spoke to the media following Death Before Dishonor.

During Friday’s press conference, Tony Khan spoke about the possiblity of using AEW branding with Ring of Honor moving forward, saying he’s come to the realization that it could be the best path forward for the promotion.

“I don’t think it’s out of the question to say, and I don’t think it’s sacraligeous to say that it would only help grow the ROH brand if I were to license it, sublicense, if it were AEW ROH,” he said. I don’t think that’s a crazy thing and I don’t think it would be sacrilegious or bad. I think it would actually be good for everybody. Then I think people would see more of the connectivity that exists between promotions and what we’re going for."

“Would Ring of Honor, frankly, have a lot more value as AEW Ring of Honor? Yeah, probably it would,” he said later. “And I think I’ve come to that realization as far as the presentation. And that might mean, frankly, a more cohesive absorption of the promotion.”

Here are more notes from Friday’s press conference including Mark Briscoe, Athena, Dustin Rhodes & The Von Erichs, Lee Moriarty, and more from Tony Khan:

Mark Briscoe
  • The ROH Champion said that he is “really, really” enjoying his current run both as a singles and trios wrestler. He said after Jay’s death he wasn’t sure if he wanted to wrestle again, and now two years later, he’s surprised at where he is in his career.
Athena
  • Athena said her entrance gear and post-show outfit were based on the film ‘The Sandlot’.
  • The ROH Women’s Champion spent most of her time dressing down Billie Starkz and praising Lexi Nair, her minions.
Dustin Rhodes & The Von Erichs
  • Rhodes talked about the three being generational wrestlers, saying it was harder to make names for themselves than people think.
  • He said that opportunity is knocking, bringing up their ROH Six-Man Tag Team Championship match at Battle of the Belts XI. Khan said one of his first memories of Dustin was seeing him compete for the Six-Man Tag Team titles on WCW programming.
  • Von Erichs said their relationship with Shibata dates back to their run in NOAH and their reaction to him coming to the ring following their match at Death Before Dishonor was a genuine response.
  • Dustin said Cody Rhodes is doing an amazing job, bringing up that AEW is a fun place to be. He said he’s happy for his brother but he’s doing “God’s work” in AEW.
Red Velvet
  • The new ROH Women’s TV Champion said she wasn’t sure where she was going to go after returning from her injury, but thanked Queen Aminata saying she brought this out of her and said she respected Billie Starkz.
  • One person asked if people like Jennifer Pepperman have been helping Velvet since her return. Velvet thanked Bryan Danielson, as well as Tony Khan. Velvet says at 32, she wants to enjoy her time in AEW and make her name.
Lee Moriarty
  • It was brought up that he was almost set to join ROH following Death Before Dishonor 2021, but AEW offered him a shot and went there instead during that time. Moriarty said he almost joined ROH during the pandemic, but because of contracts, that did not happen. After making appearances for AEW, he was offered a AEW contract following a match against Daniel Garcia.
  • He said he considered himself an AEW wrestler, but also an ROH wrestler too because of his style.
Tony Khan
  • Someone asked if their current residency in Texas could be used again in the future. Khan was receptive to the idea, saying it was an experiment but also a great thing for AEW and ROH. He doesn’t know if it would work in every single market, but he thinks it works in Arlington.
  • Another person asked about bringing in bigger pay-per-views in the area, like All In at AT&T Stadium. Tony Khan praised the owners of AT&T Stadium, saying he was friends with them, and that they could do a lot of great things in the area.
  • In a follow-up question, someone asked if it was too ambitious to run a stadium show. Khan responded by saying a lot of people thought they couldn’t run big shows like the first All In initially.
  • Regarding ROH being part of the WBD talks and possibly airing on TNT or TBS, Tony Khan said there are a lot of great channels in the WBD family ROH could air on. He doesn’t think it’s crazy that ROH TV could end up being on television again. It’s something that has been talked about and discussed.
  • The final question was about if he would tape ROH shows individually moving forward with the person pointing out the ROH TV tapings this weekend. He didn’t give a yes or no answer, saying that AEW casts a big shadow and a lot of energy goes into those shows. He said ROH is a top priority for him.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Tony’s answers don’t fill me with the utmost confidence.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I see Athena out here being rude to Billie, so it could be Billie taking it from her eventually after all.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I see Athena out here being rude to Billie, so it could be Billie taking it from her eventually after all.

Yeah I think so too and God I hope so lol

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
I know that the reality is that ROH is a wholly owned developmental farm, but having the AEW name attached to it would make it feel even more worthless. It would just solidify it as reskinned AEW Dark, that occasionally puts on quarterly shows of "AEW Dark: The PPV".

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o
"AEW presents Ring of Honor" has a better ring to it than AEW ROH. Even WWE doesnt promote NXT as "WWE NXT presents".

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah a presented by AEW thing wouldn't be the worst I suppose, it's literally what it is too

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
While I wouldn’t love it, I’d take AEW ROH if it meant a permanent separate taping, its own roster and in-ring promos and other stories during the TV episodes. At least WWE NXT is its own entity.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I know that the reality is that ROH is a wholly owned developmental farm, but having the AEW name attached to it would make it feel even more worthless. It would just solidify it as reskinned AEW Dark, that occasionally puts on quarterly shows of "AEW Dark: The PPV".
The sad thing is to networks it would be more valuable with the AEW name