David Mamet Calls For MMA Sanctioning in New York

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Randy_Couture_David_Mamet_Premiere_Redbelt_iKouVnP6Ye3l_large.jpg
The New York Post ran an editorial this week calling for New York to sanction MMA events. The question of MMA legislation in New York has been an ongoing battle for some time, so it is not a shock to see the Post bring it up. However, the interesting thing about the editorial? It was written by Pulitzer Prize winner David Mamet.

A long-time fan of MMA, Mamet argues that the sport should be sanctioned based primarily on first amendment free speech ideas, and also states that the US is becoming too much a "maiden aunt." He also brings in the familiar argument that MMA is less dangerous than many other sports, including boxing. And he mixes it all in with some... shall we say, unique, turns of phrase:

In our transformation into a country of maiden aunts, we have forgotten that phrase concurrent to The Greatest Generation, "Mind your own business."

The purpose of law, our Constitution teaches, is to allow people to interact free from government intervention.

To criminalize or otherwise sanction now this, now that, at the whim of a vocal minority is, retail, wearisome folly. Wholesale, it is the road to serfdom.

Really, the whole thing is worth a read, partly just to see what such an acclaimed voice has to say about the sport, and partly because, frankly, it's pretty out there.

For the full scope of Mamet's intriguing opinion, click here.

Like any other MMA fan, I want to see the sport gain sanctioning in New York. And the former theater nerd in me is happy to see Mamet come out in support of this fight. But Mamet's argument feels a bit off here. In this piece, he compares MMA to the burning of the American flag and he draws parallels between the sport and the sexual practices of various cults. I am not convinced that this is the best way to go in order for MMA to gain acceptance. Do we really want MMA to be sanctioned on these grounds - that it's no worse than dunking a crucifix in urine? And is this the argument that will actually win people over? I have my doubts.

David Mamet may best be known in MMA circles as the Director of Redbelt, the 2008 MMA-based film that featured former UFC champion Randy Couture. But he's also an acclaimed author and one of the greatest playwrights of the American stage. His play Glengarry Glen Ross won the Pulitzer Prize in 1984.