Daniel Cormier says he has no further commitments with WWE but the door is open

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
dcrollins.jpg

At Saturday night's Extreme Rules pay-per-view, UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier stepped into a WWE ring as the special guest referee for Matt Riddle and Seth Rollins' Fight Pit match.

The appearance led to speculation that the 43-year-old Cormier could have a future with WWE past Extreme Rules. In an interview with the Associated Press following the PPV, Cormier said he has no future commitments with WWE at this point, but he isn't closing the door on anything in his life right now.

The AP asked Cormier about potentially facing fellow former UFC champion Brock Lesnar in a WWE match.

“I’ve been retired for a couple of years and I look like it. But I’d have to get in shape if I ever want to do something like that,” Cormier said. “The door is not closed on anything right now in my life.”

Cormier added about possibly competing in a WWE ring: "I’m still at an age where there are some opportunities, but those opportunities need to start now if they’re going to be something I pursue."

Cormier and Lesnar had a confrontation to set up a future UFC fight in 2018, but that matchup never came to fruition.

Riddle and Rollins' Fight Pit match was the main event of Extreme Rules. Riddle defeated Rollins by submission to get the victory.

“Those guys are so talented,” Cormier told the AP. “They knew exactly what they were going to do and I was just trying to stay out of the way. I didn’t want to get in the way and mess something up.”

The AP's story notes that Cormier is scheduled to start filming soon for an acting role on the Paramount+ series "Warrior."

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Daniel Cormier says he had the time of his life at WWE Extreme Rules.

After serving as special referee for the Fight Pit match between Matt Riddle and Seth Rollins on the show, Cormier spoke about his experience to ESPN MMA.

"I was nervous," Cormier said. "I started forgetting the match. I was, like, oh my goodness I forgot the end. So, I kept having to ask questions. I was so nervous but once I walked out there, it was so fun. The energy of the crowd is like second to none. I fought in front of bigger crowds than I was in front of last weekend but ultimately that's - it's a shoot, right? - I'm going to just fight, it is going to be what it is going to be. But to remember all the points of what you're supposed to do in the match, dude, it was amazing."

"Then I got fans heckling me. They calling me "Carl Winslow" in there. They were messing with me," he continued.

"They said, 'DC, climb up the cage.' I'm standing at the bottom like, I'm not going up there with these dudes. They were up there actually wrestling on that little ledge."

"Then when Riddle jumped off the top I was like, man, I couldn't believe that I was actually in that moment. And I don't know how much you pay attention but then Bray Wyatt returned right after so we were like the closer to a massive moment."

"But my favorite part was I got to essentially be Herb Dean."

Cormier was asked if he has more respect for the WWE athletes after his performance at Extreme Rules.

"Riddle and Rollins aren't big guys but like some of these other guys, Drew McIntyre, Karrion Kross, all these guys that were performing earlier in the night, the things that they do at their size, it's crazy, the amount of athleticism that these guys possess inside the wrestling ring."

"I had the time of my life," Cormier continued.

Cormier also says he spoke to WWE about working together again in the future.

"They were talking to me about doing future things in the WWE and I go, 'I'll do things but I got to get in shape first. Like, give your boy some time to get some of this baggage of this luggage.'"

"It was a good time and again, I've earned a new amount of respect for the performers inside the wrestling ring," he continued.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler