Dana White Speaks On Adding Flyweight Division To UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The plan for a UFC flyweight division has been talked about for quite sometime, and according to Dana White, is still in the works but only for 2012, as he recently commented about the new weight division.

“Hopefully, early next year,†White told MMAWeekly about the new division coming to the UFC

And with the addition of a new division, White said he expected to see many fighters, even ones who are at the top of their divisions, drop down a weight class. We’ve seen it many times already with names like Sean Sherk, who fought as a welterweight many times, and even more recently with top ranked lightweight Kenny Florian, who has even competed as a middleweight.

“Yeah probably, that happens every time we open up a new weight division,†White commented about fighters dropping weight. “Kenny Florian fought at 185 the first season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ so yeah, you’ll see guys move down I think. You might even see guys who are world champions like Frankie Edgar move to ’45. It makes sense, not saying he is, but it would make sense.â€

So with the plan to add the 125lb weight class for early 2012, will we see fighters from some of the other divisions making the move down? With a lot of fighters from the same team campaigning for title shots in the same weight class, like many members of Team Alpha Male, it’s certainly seems likely.

I'd actually be intrested in seeing this division in the UFC, seeing which fighters they bring in and which current UFC fighters change weight classes plus it's always good to introduce new stuff into the UFC.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Usually lighter fights are better technical wise, so I have no problem adding this division. It will lead to more fights that are worth watching.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Exactly, it will lead to better fights which will lead to more money for the UFC.