Dana White Says Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva Not Happening Anytime Soon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
TORONTO – After defeating his third former champion in a nine-month span, current UFC light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones (15-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) is unquestionably among the hottest fighters in the entire sport of mixed martial arts.

In fact, UFC president Dana White is now certain "Bones" has leapfrogged Canadian welterweight titleholder Georges St-Pierre and should now be considered the second-best fighter on the planet.

But if a potential meeting between Jones and the man White (and most everyone else) considers the top pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC), piques your interest, don't get carried away.

"I don't see that fight happening anytime soon," White said at this weekend's UFC 140 post-event press conference at Toronto's Air Canada Centre.

The past 12 months have provided an interesting shift in dynamics. When the UFC first visited Toronto earlier this year, the "superfight" on everybody's mind was Silva vs. St-Pierre. But "GSP" hasn't competed since April, and his next appearance won't come for at least 10 months due to a torn ACL.

Meanwhile, Jones has made former champs Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Lyoto Machida look downright pedestrian, earning stoppage wins over all three.

And of course, Silva owns an incredible 14-fight octagon win streak, compiled over a five-year stretch.

So thorough is Silva's destruction of the middleweight division that despite wins over names like Vitor Belfort, Patrick Cote, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Chris Leben, Thales Leites, Travis Lutter, Demian Maia, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami and Chael Sonnen, the Brazilian's detractors suggest his dominance is more a byproduct of a poor division rather than his own skills.

Add in Silva's two excursions to the light heavyweight division, as well as the striking similarities between his own lanky frame and creative gameplans to Jones' revolutionary approach ("The Spider" has certainly never crawled forward like one to open a fight), and the potential matchup certainly takes on a "dream fight" feel.

However, White doesn't feel the timing is right.

"I just think Jon Jones is young," White said. "He's 24 years old. He's just getting out there and fighting all the best in the light heavyweight division.

"What people have to realize, too, is Anderson Silva is 37 years old. They're in two different weightclasses."

Cold showers, everyone.

With four fights in 2011, Jones is expected to remain inactive for the next four-to-five months before facing the winner of UFC on FOX 2's Phil Davis vs. Rashad Evans contest (though Henderson also looms on the horizon for a potential rematch).

Meanwhile, Silva is nursing an injured shoulder and will return in May or June against the winner of the January matchup between Mark Munoz and Chael Sonnen.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Boooooooooooooooooooo

Ben

Reaction score
No reason to do that fight this year, if it would happen would need to be next year at the earliest. Plus there's a shit load of other fight that they could make that our bigger than this:

Diaz/GSP
Rashad/Bones
Sonnen/Silva
Aldo/Edgar
Brock/Cain 2

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I would love to see this fight but both have some solid challengers to get through first. I want to see them defeat all other contenders in their division before facing each other. This is the new dream fight for me and they are such similar fighters and have similar builds and it would be incredible seeing them fight five rounds. Hopefully in a year's time both still have their titles and then UFC can book it.