Dana White Promises Gilbert Melendez Will Be Happy In Strikeforce

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Many MMA fans are pushing for Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez to be brought into the UFC as soon as possible. However, UFC president Dana White plans on leaving "El Nino" to dominate in Strikeforce for the immediate future.

"Gilbert Melendez is in Strikeforce, that's where he's contracted, and that's where he's going to stay," said White, in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com. "I will dive into this thing and I will make it right. I will make the fighters who fight over there not worry about what's going on in the UFC."

White added that he is working on a fight for Melendez right now, and stated that he is looking to gain more control over how Strikeforce is operated going forward.

"We're going to have a lot of cool things happening over the next few weeks (in Strikeforce)," White said.

Melendez has not fought since last December, when he defeated Jorge Masvidal via unanimous decision. Melendez (20-2) has not lost since 2008.

Now that Dana White has been given more control over Strikeforce i believe this, a few months ago i would've had my doubts.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
This has to mean he is sending UFC guys over there, I don't see what else it could be.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Pretty much what i was thinking, curious though of who he actually sends over.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yeah he would have to start sending guys over to give Melendez some of the top competition that he craves.

Still not sure that running Strikeforce seperately to UFC will work for Zuffa. They need to focus on things that UFC ignore like WEC used to rather than having the same weight divisions because fans almost always will consider the UFC champion the better champion because the competition is better. They have the womens division which is different but other than that nothing is really that different in Strikeforce.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Dana's been tweeting he'll have some big news regarding Strikeforce this week we'll see if it has anything to do with any UFC fighters being sent on over.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I'll put money on it being a lightweight tournament with both brands competing in it.

Just a hunch.